300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car advice

I'm looking for a new car. Doesn't have to be brand spanking new, but newer would be nice. My car is a POS! I'm so sick of it. I had to have brakes put on again for th 4th time since I've had this thing (2years).

Any suggestions on a decent car? I'd like to get a Camry, but financially, that's not in the picture. I don't know the range I'm going to spend yet, but I want something that's reliable. Any advice would help. Thanks in advance.

BTW, what's a caliper and what's its function?

Quit riding the brake Katey!!!!
    Seriously though, if you're doing city driving you're gonna use more brake so......

I just bought my first NEW car ever, 2002 Chevy Malibu. Love it. Mid size with some pick up, fair on gas. Decent room and a huge a** trunk that you could hide a body errr I mean puts lots of luggage in.
    In God we trust, all others are run MILES and NCIC.

Comment

I saw that hand hanging out of your trunk, Metro! Don't play innocent!

Katey, I don't know what a caliper is (exactly) except that it probably has something to do with applying the brake pads to the tire. I also know I've had to have at least two of mine reshaven or replaced. I've gotten brakes done three times over the past four years, but I do put about 30k on my Jeep a year (I also go through a set of tires a year).

Comment

Look at a Mustang...seriously. The ONLY 'problem' I've had with my '98 Mustang(bought new) is what *I* would call a 'fluke' occurance with the rearend. It's got 72K miles on it, and with a new rearend(found one), will probably go ANOTHER 72K if I keep it.

Think about it. How many Mustangs do you see in repair shops for anything OTHER than routine maintenance?
        "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
        -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

OTOH, Mustangs are Fords, and we all know "Ford" stands for "Found On Road Dead."

Or as my uncle's hat used to read: "On a quiet day in the country, you can hear a Ford rusting."

Then he bought a Ford and sold his Chevy and the hat read: "On a quiet day in the country, you can hear a Chevrolet rusting."

In all seriousness, I'm glad to hear of the reliability you've had with your Mustang. I plan on buying one next summer when I turn 25 and my insurance drops the way a boulder does through water.

[ 07-08-2002: Message edited by: Crazy in a Jeep ]

Comment

A brake caliper is the part of the brake that actually squeezes the brake pads to the disc. Those shouldn't go out 4 times in two years. Pads I could understand but not calipers. I've never had to replace a caliper.
            On the wings of a dove
            Let's roll for justice
            Let's roll for truth
            Let's not let our children grow up
            Fearful in their youth -- Neil Young

Comment

If you wait to replace the pads, doesn't braking begin wearing on the calpier, requiring either a refinishing or a replacement? I think thats what happened to mine. I could never hear the squeeling in time.

Comment

Pick a corolla until you can afford the camry. You get better trade in value if you get all your maintenance at the dealership where you purchased the vehicle providing its a toyota. We could not afford the 4-runner so we started out with the corolla and it proved to be a very reliable vehicle.

We also made the mistake of taking our 4-runner to a different brake shop to save a few buck and the vehicle was robbed of the calipers. They actually took the original factory ones and replaced them with s--t ones. Upon going back to the dealership to get the brakes repaired later. He informed us that toyota calipers almost never have to be replaced and the person doing the brake job at another place knew this and helped themselves.
                "To each his own"

Comment

Dang...you breakers!! hey, youre supposed to move that foot to the gas...not use two feet i've had 2 sets of brakes in 254K miles!

anyhow, i'm in the same position in looking for a new car Katey. but i have to figure out the budget first (horrors). if i decide to cash in some bonds for a downpayment, i might try for something new. i like the Dodge trucks; i know people here have said they dont last, but others i know who have them love them.

other than that, i've heard the certified pre-owned Toyotas are really good. i am a Toyota person so i dont have much to compare to, i guess. i had a Supra for 10 years that i bought new, and my 4Runner which i bought new, for 11.
                  "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

Where do you live? I'm in a very urban area ... it's almost impossible to go more then a mile or two (at the most) without running into a stoplight or stop sign. And to do that, you've usually got to be on a highway, in which case you're breaking for gridlock!

Just to get to work, I've got two traffic lights, a yield onto York Rd. North, then another yield to cross oncoming traffic (and it's a half mile away!!!) This doesn't count the idiots who have their licenses but can't drive and swerve into my lane. Defensive driving is a MUST have skill for the DC/Baltimore area.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy in a Jeep:
                      If you wait to replace the pads, doesn't braking begin wearing on the calpier, requiring either a refinishing or a replacement? I think thats what happened to mine. I could never hear the squeeling in time.
                      What you're talking about are "drum" brakes. They have "shoes". When the shoe wears through the bolts will start rubbing and scoring the drum. When the scoring or gooving get's bad you have to have the drum "turned". When it gets to that point you'll probably hear a grinding sound. (kinda like i do )

The squealing only occurs with "disc" brakes. As the pad wears there is a little metal piece that is actually called a squealer that starts scraping on the disc making the noise. That lasts for awhile and it really won't do any damage to the disc.

[ 07-08-2002: Message edited by: jarhead6073 ]
                      On the wings of a dove
                      Let's roll for justice
                      Let's roll for truth

Comment

^ I'm not exactly the person most familiar with the workings of a car, except that if I turn the key with my foot on the clutch, it turns on and I can listen to music.

I also know my soundbar sucks and cuts out occasionally. When it does, I smack the soundbar and I hear sweet music again.

Comment

oops

[ 07-08-2002: Message edited by: jarhead6073 ]
                          On the wings of a dove
                          Let's roll for justice
                          Let's roll for truth

Comment

The best car...

A VW Golf TDI. It's the same that I have, but I have a 2001. It cost about $20,000 and you get an average of 50 mpg, and the gas is cheaper (about 30-40 cents cheaper here). It has a lot of spunk and pep, without having that 200 hp thing going (about 90 hp and over 100 lbs/torque). It's also a small car, so it's manueverable, but it is a hatchback, so you can fit all your sh-, uh, stuff in it.

I absolutely love the car, and if you don't mind the sometimes noisy engine (almost sporty) it would be a great pick!
                            If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?

Comment

A gun AND a car? Do your parents want a quasi-son? No, no, don't look -- I volunteer!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5651 users online. 321 members and 5330 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X