Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irvine is not just ANY suburb of LA either...it's one of Orange County's more exclusive neighborhoods, where house prices start at just under half-million dollars and go up from there.

As far as the terrorist angle...El Al says it thinks it's terrorism simply because it's happened before, in other countries. It also admits it has no evidence to back up the theory at this time.

The next few days will be interesting...

Comment

I think that you might be right night that it was a attack on israel and at the same time a rub in our face. Face it we have a lot of citizens that walk around armed. I bet some of them even carry inside a airport terminal. I think that incidents like this will continue until more people wake up and realize that this can happen just about anywhere in this nation as well as abroad and until we start to protect ourselves and not rely soley on the LEOs and other law enforcement officers to protect us at all times then we will start to see a more secure society. Now I am not advocating vigilantes to go out and look for potential targets just for some of these sheeple to start paying attention to what is around them and what is going on.

Klar
      Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's probably a duck. If an Egyptian walks into LAX and starts shooting people at the El Al counter he's probably a terrorist.
        Bill R

Comment

It's mighty strange like you said Bill that an Egyptian ends up at ElAL. There are a lot of airlines their for him to pick that one.
          Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

I heard something on NBC TV News this morning that this attack took place at "about the same time" as another "unspecified incident" in the parking garage. Everyone is keeping this sooo close to their chests, it just HAS to make you wonder what is going on, and what the official thinking (or NONthinking) is!

(edit) One more thing. Anyone who has followed the forums KNOWS that I am not a big fan of the FBI. HOWEVER, I'm not at all sure that I blame them for not going off "half coc*ed" and making statements when they don't have the facts to back up those statements!

We bitch ALL the time about speculation in the media. Perhaps right now, we need to give the feebs the benefit of the doubt, until we know if they deserve it or not. Just a thought. . .

[ 07-05-2002: Message edited by: Don ]
            6P1 (retired)

Comment

Ephraim Sneh, a senior Israeli cabinet official speaking on CNN is saying that this incident will "be treated as a terrorist attack unless proven otherwise". Maybe I am naive or something, but how can the official response on this be so tight lipped to an already nervous public.

For a long time I have been amazed at the freedom and irresponsibility of the media here to report so blatantly on going investigatons and terror attacks. The fact that on the day of 9/11 they were tracking where the President and Vice President were....and publicly reporting it was the tip of a very large iceberg. The government has to sort its relationship out with the media.

In Israel this would be reported as yet another terror attack (they may have terror fatigue there....but they still take heed of every warning) and people would go about their business, albeit in a more vigilant manner.

It concerns me that America seems so bewildered with dealing effectively, or as effectively as possible with the affects of terror from within.

All I can say is G-d bless America!

(edit) Don, I understand where you are coming from with regards to giving the FBI and others the benefit of the doubt and breathing space here, however I strongly feel that the reason why this incident is seemingly being dealt with in such a drawn out manner is part of the core problem of how terror has been, is and will be treated....unless some fundamental changes and lessons are learnt and adopted. For the feds to be so media friendly and not be able to come up with some kind of a statement to pacify criticism and curiosity strikes me as being rather odd. And this makes no sense in the light of 9/11 and the other facts revealed to us since then. This is a new America.....let's treat it like that.

[ 07-05-2002: Message edited by: ZalmanEmmes ]
              Never, Never, Never Give Up!
              Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

At the risk of stating what's already been posted...........

You have:

1. An Arab/Egyptian National

2. Picks an Israeli Airline

3. Does it on on the 4th of July.

I'm with Israel, it is not unreasonable to assume it's terrorism.

To those who disagree-

I have a question, if he was acting alone was he a "nut" or a terrorist?

How many nuts does it take to make it terrorism? 2,5...more?

If he was acting alone was it a "hate crime"?

As posted earlier, if it walks like a duck.........
                Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

Comment

From the NY Times... More, with picture even

``We've never said it's not terrorism,'' FBI spokesman Matt McLaughlin said. ``We can't rule that out, but there's nothing to indicate terrorism at this point.''

McLaughlin also suggested it might be a hate crime.

Israeli officials said they would consider the shooting a terror attack until proven otherwise.

The shooter was identified as Hesham Mohamed Hadayet, a 41-year-old limousine driver who listed July 4 as his birthday on one of two driver's licenses"

And he had two drivers licneses with different information why?

[ 07-05-2002: Message edited by: jarhead6073 ]

[ 07-05-2002: Message edited by: jarhead6073 ]
                  On the wings of a dove
                  Let's roll for justice
                  Let's roll for truth
                  Let's not let our children grow up
                  Fearful in their youth -- Neil Young

Comment

Originally posted by Don:

(edit) One more thing. Anyone who has followed the forums KNOWS that I am not a big fan of the FBI. HOWEVER, I'm not at all sure that I blame them for not going off "half coc*ed" and making statements when they don't have the facts to back up those statements!

We bitch ALL the time about speculation in the media. Perhaps right now, we need to give the feebs the benefit of the doubt, until we know if they deserve it or not. Just a thought. . .

I goota second Don on this one. I was doing some work with the TV on yesterday and there was one of the news channels with 4 guys talking about this incident. None of them had any more information about this than this thread has had. By the end of the hour, there conversation had changed such that someone just tuning in would have thought they had tuned into a roundtable discussion of witnesses and the security people that had taken the ******* out. In this day and age more than ever, we need to make sure the media has as accurate and non-misquotable information as possible.

Of course, my opinion of journalist has always ranked right up there with terrorist and pedophiles sooooooooo my opinion may be biased.

Comment

The FBI is still saying they have no evidence it was "terrorism" and the Israelis are still saying it was terrorism. The terrorist family is reportedly visiting in Eygpt, safely out of this country.

This guy fits the profile of a terrorist real good, even down to the age group.

Comment

Someone on TV was saying it could have been just another hate crime. I'm not sure what the difference is between "hate crime" and "terrorism" except in these times "terrorism" seems to be applied to acts of violence against our country rather than a specific group so terrorists kill more people. Regardles of who the victims are or who commits the act, they deserve the same punishment they dish out to others.

Comment

Don,

Originally posted by Don:
                          I heard something on NBC TV News this morning that this attack took place at "about the same time" as another "unspecified incident" in the parking garage. Everyone is keeping this sooo close to their chests, it just HAS to make you wonder what is going on, and what the official thinking (or NONthinking) is!

Quite frankly, you and I probably feel the same about the feds, particularly the FBI,(a low opinion), but since this appears to me like a guy gone postal(at this time), just why is the FBI even involved? LAX is a municipal airport, and the crime at this time is 187(murder), a state violation! So it should be an LAPD handle. Yet the goofy news media is calling the FBI the lead agency, and the even goofier FBI believes it

Now I am already aware that there are some if not many on the board who will adamently disagree with me, but I see this as another example of federal encroachment. Shootings like this happen every day in L.A., so should the FBI handle all the other cases as well.

I would like to see the day when local agencies will stand up and tell the feds to take a walk!!! We need to return to local control.

There, I've said it and I am glad

[ 07-05-2002: Message edited by: retired ]
                          Retired

Comment

I just saw the mayor of LA give a speech about what happened. He thanked everyone and praised them to no end. He thanked the FBI, the LAPD, the so called airport security. He thnaked everyone except EL-AL who actually stopped the killer before he could take out more people than he did.

Apparently I am just to stupid to fathom politicians and how they work.

Comment

Mike,

Originally posted by MikeTx:
                              I just saw the mayor of LA give a speech about what happened. He thanked everyone and praised them to no end. He thanked the FBI, the LAPD, the so called airport security. He thnaked everyone except EL-AL who actually stopped the killer before he could take out more people than he did.

Apparently I am just to stupid to fathom politicians and how they work.
                              I am no fan of Hahn, nor was I of his father. But I believe he was thanking them for the manner in which they responded to the incident. The bottom line is they(LAPD) respond to all shootings in a timely and effective manner, not just this one.

I am not too complimentary of the airport police, because in most critical situations, they stand back and call the LAPD because they don't know how to handle the incident.

The airport police are similiar to many, many other agencies in California that have had peace officer status conferred on them, and very little of what they do compares to what a municipal or Sheriff's department does on a regular basis in California.
                              Retired

Comment

Yeah, I think that's right, but I still think EL-AL saved his butt. What would it have hurt to say, "And thanks to them for being alert, blah blah...?"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2734 users online. 194 members and 2540 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X