Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xanthorius
    replied
    Katey, is your problem with the picture not just the black bars, but the fact that all the people in the movie look too tall, and kind of squished? If so, please read on, a buddy had the same problem.

I have a friend who has a DVD player, and he loves widescreen. But on his, the widescreen was smashed, and distorted. Here was his problem- you can set a DVD player to think it is actually playing to a TV built FOR widescreen. This really maximizes the effect of widescreen movies if you can shell out the $$$ for a widescreen TV (a widescreen TV is shaped like a much longer rectangle than a normal TV, it is the size of a movie screen at the theater).

Now, Blackhawk Down is a widescreen movie, but the DVD player should be set to assume it is playing a WIDESCREEN movie on a NORMAL tv. My buddy had it set so it was trying to play a WIDESCREEN movie on a WIDESCREEN tv, which he does not own.

I have a PS2 as well, and I know that you can adjust those settings. It has caused me some weird moments when a movie is in the wrong setting.

Leave a comment:

• n567
    replied
    Originally posted by jellybean40:
    god, i dont think i'll get a DVD player after all! and i KNOW i dont want a big screen tv...i have 100 other household things i'd spend my money on before that.
    Won't have much choice. Because VHS is so thoroughly inferior to DVD, it is losing ground to DVD at a fast pace.

Besides which, DVD offers far superior video and audio quality, and they have all those nifty special features! I can't stand VHS anymore.

Another cool thing?
    www.netflix.com - No more latefees, unlimited rentals for 20 bucks a month and they mail the movies to your house first class...

As for the Playstation 2. The graphics are of course nicer. Besides which, there are some fantastic games on the PS2 (metal gear solid 2, and Grand Theft Auto, and Grand Tourismo 3!!!) Cough. PS2 has great games. yes. And The Getaway is coming out soon... that looks like a blast... zooming around the streets of london working for the mob.

Leave a comment:

• klar
    replied
    LOL it is ok katey I will not stone you for the blonde comment LOL I knew you could play a dvd on a ps2 but I had never talked to some who had. I guess my kids will just have to suffer with the ps1 and get all the games for it as they get cheaper lol

Klar

Leave a comment:

• kateykakes
    replied
    Originally posted by Fast 1:
    Katey,

Are you sure you're not blonde??

Fastie,

LOL! No, I'm not a blonde, although I have more than my share of *blonde moments*. Some days I can barely walk and chew gum at the same time.

And for all you blondes out there, please don't stone me!

My kids love the PS2. I don't play video games so I take their word for it that it's better than PS1. To me, the only difference is you can play movies on one. They swear the graphics are better on the games with PS2. They all look the same to me.

[ 07-01-2002: Message edited by: kateykakes ]

Leave a comment:

• Fastie
    replied
    Originally posted by Piper:
    I love DVD...

The first one I purchased was "The Nightmare Before Christmas".

Looky Here!

Piper,
    That is one of my FAVORITE movies !!!

Leave a comment:

• Fastie
    replied
    Katey,

I'm sorry... but I got a big kick out of your post. LOL... you're so funny. Are you sure you're not blonde?? LOL.... sorry... I HATED the widescreen movies the first time I saw one, years and years ago (on VHS), I'm surprised you've haven't run across any yet. You will get used to them and then you won't even notice!!! I like the DVDs that give you a choice.

How's the PS2? I'll buy one eventually. I haven't played with my PS1 in along time, so I'm not going to rush out and buy one...are the games a lot better??? My favorite games are the Tomb Raider games.

Leave a comment:

• klar
    replied
    Well I just bought myself another DVD player after my old one stopped working on me. I have a few dvd movies but not that many. I am one who does not like to pay more than $10 for any movie LOL

Klar

Leave a comment:

• CinaC
    replied
    Nite,

The Sopranos isn't filmed in a wide enough aspect ratio to really stand out from its full frame version.

It's always whacky to put a full-frame tape in your VCR, play it; then pop in the DVD of the same film in widescreen. Get them so they're both playing the same thing at the same time (or close), and switch between the two. The difference is DAMN noticeable!

Leave a comment:

• Niteshift
    replied
    There is one advantage to the wide screen versions.........you see things on the left and right that you miss on the regular version. When the Sopranos are on HBO, one channel shows regular and one channel shows widescreen. I've flipped back and forth to see the difference. Rarely there is one, but once in a while, something good is visible on the widescreen version.

Leave a comment:

• Blonde Heat
    replied
    Try hitting the zoom button one time and you might be able to fix the little annoying problem of widescreen. You lose some picture on the sides but you'll be able to deal with it better than seeing those damn black bars on the top and bottom.

Leave a comment:

• CinaC
    replied
    Here's what I can't wait for! Yay August 27th!

Fllawdog, you wanna know how old school I am? I have Saving Private Ryan ... on LASERDISC!

[ 06-30-2002: Message edited by: Crazy in a Jeep ]

Leave a comment:

• kateykakes
    replied
    Originally posted by FLLawdog:
    Anybody see "Slapshot 2" yet? I just can't believe it could do any justice to the original.

I didn't even know there was a Slapshot 2. It can't be that good. Either that, or I'm extremely clueless.

Speaking of movies, one that I don't have that I want to buy is Happy Gilmore. I loved that movie. I like most of the movies that Sandler was in, but what the hell was he thinking when he did Little Nicky? That was one lame *** movie.

Leave a comment:

• FLLawdog
    replied
    Anybody see "Slapshot 2" yet? I just can't believe it could do any justice to the original.

I bought Black Hawk Down a couple weeks ago and have seen it twice so far. There are so many characters it needs to be seen multiple times!

Just got Saving Private Ryan the other day. Another one that deserves several viewings.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Them Hanson boys could play some hockey!

Oh yeah, here's the DVD review. http://www.testpattern.net/dvd/features/slapshot25.html

[ 06-30-2002: Message edited by: 207 ]

Leave a comment:

• kateykakes
    replied
    Originally posted by 207:
    OH, then the DVD Slapshot is a must!
    OMG! I loved that movie! Good one, 207!

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6795 users online. 360 members and 6435 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X