300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite internet hoax???

I have 3 that have been circulating for a little while. The first is the ball pit/heroin needle OD.

Be Careful!
    Hi, My name is Lauren Archer, my son Kevin and I lived in Sugarland, TX. On October 2cd, 1994 I took my only son to McDonald's for his 3rd birthday.

After he finished lunch, I allowed him to play in the ball pit. When he started whining later on, I asked him what was wrong, he pointed to the back of his pull-up and simply said "Mommy, it hurts." But I couldn't find anything wrong with him at that time. I bathed him when we got home, and it was at that point when I found a welt on his left buttock. Upon investigating, it seemed as if there was something like a splinter under the welt. I made an appointment to have it taken out the next day, but soon he started vomiting and shaking, then his eyes rolled back into his head.

From there, we went to the emergency room. He died later that night. It turned out that the welt on his buttock was the tip of a hypodermic needle that had broken off inside. The autopsy revealed that Kevin had died from heroine overdose. The next week, the police removed the balls from the ball pit and lo and behold. There was rotten food, several hypodermic needles: some full; some used; knives, half-eaten candy, diapers, feces, and the stench of urine. If a child is not safe in a child's play area then where? You can find the article on Kevin Archer in the October 10, 1994 issue of the Houston Chronicle. Please forward this to all loving mothers!

---Don't you think that before forwarding this to every person in their address book, the sender would check the Houston Chronicle online to see if such a story exists? When you go to their website, they have a disclaimer stating that no such incident exists.

Here's #2:

I got this message about a virus that can produce lot of dammage [sic] to your computer. If you follow the instructions which are very easy, you would be able to "clean" your computer.
    Apparently the virus spreads through the adresses book . I got it, then may be I passed it to you too, sorry.

The name of the virus is jdbgmgr.exe and is transmitted automatically through the Messanger and addresses book of the OUTLOOK. The virus is neither detected by Norton nor by Mc Afee. It remains in lethargy ("sleeping") for 14 days and even more, before it destroys the whole system. It can be eliminated during this period.

The steps for the elimination of the virus are the following:

1. go to START and click FIND

2. in "FILES andFOLDERS" write: jdbgmgr.exe

3. be sure that it searches in "C"

4. click SEARCH NOW

5. if the virus appears (with icon of a small bear) and the name"jdbgmgr.exe" . don't open it !!! in any case !!!

6. click the right button of the mouse and destroy it

7. emty the recyclage bin

If you find the virus in your computer please send this mail to all the people in your addresses book .

thanks.

--------The reason I like that one is because it is believable. I'm sure a lot of people bit on that one.

The final one is ol' little missing Penny Brown:

PLEASE LOOK AT PICTURE THEN FORWARD
    I am asking you all, begging you to please, forward this email on to anyone and everyone you know, PLEASE. My 9 year old girl, Penny Brown, is missing. She has been missing for now two weeks. It is still not too late, Please help us.
    If anyone anywhere knows anything, sees anything, please contact me at [email protected]

I am including a picture of her. All prayers are appreciated!!

It only takes 2 seconds to forward this on, if it was your child, you would want all the help you could get.

Please. thank you for your kindness, hopefully you can help us.

------I simply like that one because my police chief bit on it, and forwarded it to everyone in his address book, only to have someone in City hall send a nasty reply to the Chief and everyone else telling him to check his sources before sending out forwards like this.

(All excerpts were from Snopes.com)
    "I assume you all have guns and crack."

My favourite Internet hoax was the one that said the mods at O.com were going to start an International Officers forum!!!!
    'Trust no-one'

Comment

We got a couple of letters from other law enforcement agencies about sending a business card to some kid trying to break some Guiness World Record. Each letter contained a list of all the agencies who had been contacted & it was inthe hundreds. Checked out the story on truthorfiction.com to find out that it was a hoax. Our Chief had told me to send some business cards & to forward the letter on to 10 other agencies as the letter asked. He was glad I had checked up on it but then wanted me to send out letters to all the other agencies warning them about the hoax. I still didn't come out ahead.

Comment

A few months back, some guy at my company got an internet hoax and believed it, and in a moment of stupidity, forwarded it to EVERY employee in the company, from CEO on down- 2300 people. Most of us took the chance to tease him and wrote him back telling him what he'd done.

Then, TWO separate other employees both hit "Reply to All" and sent out these poorly spelled responses berating the first guy, ranting and raving about how stupid the guy was for believing the original e-mail. But the really funny thing was that the first guy got the most worked up about the fact that the original sucker had sent it out to the whole company, even though HE was doing the exact same thing!

Same kind of thing happened at UNC when I was a student there- they opened up the student directory to anybody with a student e-mail account, and suddenly we were all getting a bunch of those "For every person you send this to, you'll get $0.05!!" type e-mails.

Where there are people (ie, the Internet), there is both creativity and gullibility, which makes for an interesting combo.
        I am disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious? - Mr. Sparkle

Comment

I remember when the whole "don't flash your lights at cars with the lights off--they'll follow you home and kill you" urban legend started. I was working in Toledo at the time (for a TV station), and these flyers started showing up around town, warning people about this. In a move later proven to be standard for my news director, he ran a story about this, THEN contacted Toledo PD to ask them about it. But this was during the early days of urban legends, so the PD couldn't say it _wasn't_ true. By the time they were able to confirm it was false, two more stations, the newspaper, and every radio station had run with it for almost two days.

Three weeks later, the "knocked out in hotel room, wake up minus a kidney" story came out. Fortunately, the news director was out of town, so we didn't do that one

Comment

If you ever heard the urban legend of the rocket car, where the Darwin Award winner supposedly put JATO cylinders on an Impala and embedded it in the side of a cliff, you need to read this:

http://www.rocketcarstory.com/

It's pretty long, but it's worth the read.

Comment

Y2K

Greatest NONevent of the century....
              "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
              -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

I totally fell for this one. Not really a hoax, but funny:

Wow, what a deal!!! I was at the ABC Liquor store yesterday, and the
                store manager was there talking to a new National distributor for Caricacell
                beer. (The Italian beer... pretty good.... they had a tasting yesterday).
                Anyway, he gave me their web site address where they have a promotion now
                through January 31st where they are giving a coupon for a free case of beer. The
                coupon is good anywhere in the U.S. and is valid for one year. All you need
                to do is go to their web site and click on the "special promotion" and
                print the coupon. That's it.

Enjoy!

Here is the web address http://digilander.libero.it/caricacell/

Comment

What amazes me about Urban Legends and especially Internet Hoaxes is the ease with which cops, supposedly the most cynical people on the face of the earth, fall for them.

If something comes from a certified news media source, we automatically discount it, or label it as biased. Yet, when it comes from some anonymous source, or via an e-mail that you know has been forwarded a billion times, cops have this belief that it's gotta be somehow true

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by Sig220Man:
                    What amazes me about Urban Legends and especially Internet Hoaxes is the ease with which cops, supposedly the most cynical people on the face of the earth, fall for them.

If something comes from a certified news media source, we automatically discount it, or label it as biased. Yet, when it comes from some anonymous source, or via an e-mail that you know has been forwarded a billion times, cops have this belief that it's gotta be somehow true

I don't know if it's just cops. Why does everyone believe in them. I quess if you see it in print, it must be true.
                    I got a great e-mail a while back that discounted alot of hoaxes. I wish I could find it. It went on about Bill Gates not sending you any money...sick kid is now 35 and doesn't want anymore get weel cards. It was funny.
                    Walk slow, Talk low, and Don't say Too Much.

Comment

I was just sent the stupid email about the jdbjmgr.exe virus, which is a hoax.

I hate it when I send these people the email back informing them it is a Hoax and asking them to check these out before they send them to everyone in their address book, and THEY GET MAD AT ME!!!!

Sheesh!
                      "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"--Bill Jordan

Comment

THIS is the best one I've gotten!

My name is Billy Evans. I am a very sick little boy.

My mother is typing this for me, because I can't. She is crying. The reason she is so sad is because I'm so sick. I was born without a body.

It doesn't hurt, except when I try to breathe. The doctors gave me an artificial body. It is a burlap bag filled with leaves. The doctors said
                        that was the best they could do on account of us having no money or insurance. I would like to have a body transplant, but we need more money.

Mommy doesn't work because she said nobody hires crying people. I said, "Don't cry, Mommy," and she hugged my burlap bag. Mommy always gives me
                        hugs, even though she's allergic to burlap and it makes her sneeze and chafes her real bad.

I hope you will help me. You can help me if you forward this email to everyone you know. Forward it to people you don't know, too. Dr. Johansen
                        said that for every person you forward this email to, Bill Gates will team up with AOL and send a nickel to NASA. With that funding, NASA will collect prayers from school children all over America and have the astronauts take
                        them up into space so that the angels can hear them better. Then they will come back to earth and go to the Pope, and he will take up a collection in church and send all the money to the doctors. The doctors could help me get
                        better then.

Maybe one day I will be able to play baseball. Right now I can only be third base.

Every time you forward this letter, the astronauts can take more prayers to
                        the angels and my dream will be closer to coming true.

Please help me. Mommy is so sad, and I want a body. I don't want my leaves to rot before I turn 10. If you don't forward this email, that's okay.
                        Mommy says you're a mean and heartless nasty person who doesn't care about a poor little boy with only a head. She says that if you don't stew in the raw pit of your own guilt-ridden stomach, she hopes you die a long slow horrible death and then burn forever in hell.

What kind of cruel person are you that you can't take five minutes to forward this to all your friends so that they can feel guilt and shame
                        about ignoring a poor, bodiless nine-year-old boy?

Please help me. I try to be happy, but it's hard.

I wish I had a kitty.

I wish I could hold a kitty.

I wish I could hold a kitty that wouldn't chew on me and try to bury its poo in the leaves of my burlap body. I wish that very much.

Thank You,
                        Billy "Smiley" Evans
                        People have more fun than anybody.

Comment

This is another one that I like, simply because it's good to have "saved" to send to some people from time to time:

Hello, my name is ____________. I suffer from the guilt of not forwarding 50 billion freaking chain letters sent to me by people who actually believe that if you send them on, a poor 6-year-old girl in Arkansas with a breast growing from her forehead will be able to raise enough money to have it removed before her redneck parents sell her to a traveling freak show.

Do you honestly believe that Bill Gates is going to give you, and everyone to whom you send "his" email, $1000? How stupid are you? "Ooooh, looky here! If I scroll down this page and make a wish, I'll get $10,000 from a nude supermodel!" What a bunch of bullcrap.

Maybe the evil chain letter leprechauns will come into my house and sodomize me in my sleep for not continuing a chain that was started by Peter in 5AD and brought to the USA by midget pilgrims on the Mayflower. Screw them.

If you're going to forward something, at least send me something mildly amusing. I've seen all the "send this to 10 of your closest friends, and this poor, wretched excuse for a human being will somehow receive a nickel from some omniscient being" forwards about 90 times. I don't care!

Show a little intelligence and think about what you're actually "contributing to" by sending out these forwards.

Chances are, it's your own unpopularity.

The point being? If you get some chain letter that's threatening to leave you shagless or luckless for the rest of your life, delete it. If it's funny, send it on. Don't pee people off by making them feel guilty about a leper in Botswana with no teeth who has been tied to a dead elephant's *** for 27 years and whose only salvation is the 5 cents per letter he'll receive if you forward this email.

Oh, by the way all you idiots out there...NO COMPANY HAS ANY WAY OF TRACKING E-MAIL OUTSIDE THEIR SYSTEM -NO, NOT EVEN MICROSOFT!!! THERE IS NO SUCH TECHNOLOGY YET!!!!!! AND IF THERE WERE, IT WOULD PROBABLY BE AGAINST THE LAW TO TRACK IT FOR PRIVACY REASONS.

Now forward this to everyone you know. Otherwise, tomorrow morning your underwear will turn carnivorous and will consume your genitals! This actually happened to a guy in South Dakota who broke the chain!
                          People have more fun than anybody.

Comment

"if the virus appears (with icon of a small bear) and the name"jdbgmgr.exe" . don't open it !!! in any case !!! "
                            Oh no...I have that one! And I double clicked it over and over...Nothing bad happening yet. Hey! I found another virus called 'windows', OH NO!!! What should I do?!
                            I know this idiot who ALWAYS forwards that crap, He sent me the Bill Gates giving away money one, What a moron. The guy never sends me email, only junk mail. And then he wonders why I laugh at and mock him and threaten to hurt him real bad.... [Eek!]

[ 01-15-2003, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: Oink ]
                            All of god's creatures are entitled to live without fear of "gun violence" except for you and your family. - <a href="http://www.handguncontrolinc.org/selfdefense_quiz.htm" target="_blank">Source</a>

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3832 users online. 277 members and 3555 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X