300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officer shot...prayers needed

Phila Police OfficerNicholas Smith, 22 years old with only 2 years on the job was shot in the stomach tonight and isin critical condition. The bullet struck the officer in the gap between the body armor and his Sam Browne belt. The shooter was killed on location. Please say a prayer for this young officer and his family. Please be careful.
    "The streets of Philadelphia are safe...it's the people that make them unsafe"---Frank Rizzo
    http://hometown.aol.com/ppd9886/PhillyCopSpot.html

He certainly has my payers, LeBomb. I'm glad the shooter can no longer hurt anyone.

Comment

Officer Smith is definitely in my thoughts and prayers. If anything can do more wonders than a surgeons hands it is prayer. [Wink]
      This post has been rated PG-13 for your viewing pleasure.

Comment

He has my prayers too. I hope that he makes a complete recovery

Klar
        Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

My thoughts and prayers are with him, LB.

For those who didn't see the story:

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/4146012.htm

Posted on Wed, Sep. 25, 2002

Cop in critical condition after shootout in Olney
          Wounded in alley chasing suspect, who's then shot dead
          By JIM NOLAN, ERIN EINHORN & SCOTT FLANDER

A 22-YEAR-OLD Philadelphia police officer was shot in the side of the abdomen last night, and the suspected gunman was killed, in a shootout in an alley in Olney.

Mayor Street, who arrived at Albert Einstein Medical Center late last night, said that the bullet had severed an artery in Officer Nicholas Smith's leg, causing profuse bleeding, but that a Safe Streets officer who arrived at the scene rushed him to the hospital, probably saving his life.

Smith, on the force two years, was in critical condition following surgery. Sources at the scene said Smith had been wearing a bulletproof vest but that he had been wounded below his vest.

"He was very, very lucky. We're just blessed and we thank God that he'll be alive," said Police Commissioner Sylvester Johnson.

The shooting happened about 10 p.m. off Fisher Avenue near 4th Street.

Police said Smith and his partner, Edward Fidler, had been on patrol in the area in an unmarked car, and responded to a call at 4th and Fisher.

There, they found three men and a woman on the corner. When the two officers got out of their car to question them, one of the men started to walk away with his hands in his pockets.

The officers told him to take his hands out of his pockets, and that's when the man began to run, police said. Smith started running after him, and Fidler got in his patrol car to help.

The man ducked into alley off Fisher between 4th and 5th streets, with Smith following.

When Fidler rounded the corner, police said, he heard six gunshots, and then saw the man who had run covered with blood.

Smith was still standing, and at first, Fidler didn't realize his partner had been shot. But then Smith fell.

By the time other officers arrived in the alley, the suspect was dead, police said. His identity was not released.

Said the mayor: "This is another case when an officer came very close to paying the ultimate price for being out there on the street protecting us, so we can have the quality of life we're entitled to."

Smith and Fidler are assigned to the 35th District, headquartered at Broad Street and Champlost Avenue. His girlfriend also is a police officer in the 35th.

Last year, Smith and Fidler were among five officers from the district who jumped into the Tacony Creek to rescue a 14-year-old boy who had nearly drowned.

Late last night, the dead suspect's mother arrived at the scene with her daughter and another son.

The woman refused to jump to any conclusions about her son's death.

"I don't have anything to say until we know what happened," she said. "Two people got shot here tonight."

But her daughter jumped in, saying, "I know what happened. They killed my brother, that's what happened."

After the shooting, two dozen police cars from across the city descended upon Olney. Helicopters hurled overhead, as investigators roped off the area with yellow crime-scene tape. Cops with flashlights seached the alley, while investigators knocked on doors, looking for possible witnesses.

At Einstein, meanwhile, a phalanx of officers held vigil for the fallen officer.

Neighbors have long complained about drug dealing in the narrow passageway where the shooting occurred.

Song Chheng, who has lived on Fisher for more than more 10 years, said dealers have used the passageway for the last several years. It has a chain-link fence on either side, and is so narrow only one person can make it through at a time.

"When a dog barks, we take a peek out the window," said Chheng. "That's when we see the dealers."

Neighbors have called the police, but the problem has persisted, he said.

And though there has been gunfire in the immediate neighborhood before, he said, there had not been any shootings, until last night.

"I heard about seven or eight gunshots," said Chheng. "Just boom-boom-boom, one right after the other."

He didn't go outside right away.

"I was too afraid," he said.

But when he did, he saw the suspect lying dead.

The officer was the second to be injured last night. Earlier in the evening, an officer on bicycle patrol was struck by a motorist on Broad Street near Montgomery Avenue. His identity was not released, but authorities said his injuries were not life-threatening.

Comment

He's definately in my thoughts and I wish him a full recovery.
            No partner is worth your tears -
            the one that is won't make you cry. - Anonymous

<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Form.SortOrder=UserName&Start=1&Artist= Raychel&ByArtist=Yes" target="_blank">My Photo Gallery</a>

Comment

Our thoughts & prayers go out to the officer's family & department.

Comment

...praying in the shadows...

Comment

Offiver Smith and his family are on our prayer list.
                  Bill R

Comment

Althiugh he is still in critical condition, Officer Smith is expectedto have a complete recovery. Please be careful...the vest sometimes isn't enough to save your life!
                    "The streets of Philadelphia are safe...it's the people that make them unsafe"---Frank Rizzo

Comment

I am so glad to hear that Officer Smith will be fully recovering. It is such a tragedy when Officer are intentionally targeted on duty but that's an inevitable fact.

Officer Smith will be in my prayers and I will pray for the safety of all officers.
                      "Hope for the best and prepare for the worst."

Comment

quote:
                        Originally posted by kateykakes:
                        But her daughter jumped in, saying, "I know what happened. They killed my brother, that's what happened."

i don't want to overshadow the REAL story here (which is an officer that is desperately in need of our prayers for his recovery)...but let me be the first to go on record and say to this guys' idiot sister that the satisfaction i feel knowing that her brother is the one being buried instead of that officer is overwhelming...and i hope that if she scene replayed a hundred times it would still end w/ her brother in the same situation. if that sounds harsh...well good...a cop-killer (even a failed one) deserves no sympathy.

p.s. if anybody is offended by this message or finds it to be out of line i have no problems w/ the moderators deleting it.

L.A.: I was so offended, I had to bold it [Wink] -Lawdog

[ 09-25-2002, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: FLLawdog ]
                        This post has been rated PG-13 for your viewing pleasure.

Comment

I'm so glad to hear that Officer Smith is going to make a full recovery. Prayers are amazing aren't they?

Comment

I remember, when I watched the poice officers on the firing range during my Citizens Academy class, thinking, "My God, I thought I KNEW how dangerous their jobs are but I didn't".
                            Guns still scare me and I still don't want one. I just don't think I could be responsible to use it right.

Comment

Legal Assistant, I don't think anyone will be offended...I, for one, applaud your remarks.
                              The family and friends of the deceased are now claiming that the cop-shooting coward was begging for help and was denied medical attention and left to bleed to death in the alley, AND kicked by Police as he lay in the alley. I heard the job go down on the radio and heard Police on location requesting Fire Rescue to expedite to the scene in an effort to save this piece of garbage even when it ws obvious that he was not showing any signs of life. Damned if you do,damned if you don't.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4483 users online. 241 members and 4242 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X