300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fear Of Flying

Anyone else have a fear of flying? I hate to fly, but sometimes I can't make it by driving. What can I do to overcome this? My last flight was in a thunderstorm in Nov. I swore I would never fly again, yet I have to fly in May...UG.. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What is it about flying that scares you?
    In Memoriam:
    Cpl. Chad Wayne Powell
    USMC
    Killed in Action
    Fallujah, Iraq
    June 23, 2005

Comment

Until about 10 years ago, I had no fear at all of flying. I've lost count of how many hours I spent in helicopters and other aircraft in the Army, and I never gave it a second thought.

However, I'm now scared ****less to get on an airplane. I'd like to say that 9/11 did it, but this started well before then, and has gotten progressively worse.

Vegas....my advice is to get drunk. Seriously. Get to the airport a couple of hours early, and wait for your flight in the nearest airport bar. Just before you go to the gate to board, chew a bunch of peanuts (preferably) or mints to mask the booze odor, and don't say much while boarding. As long as you're not rowdy, they'll let you on the plane. After takeoff, have a couple more cocktails, pass out, and next thing you know, you be awakened by the place touching down.

Besides working like a charm, this method is also quite fun.
      Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

I'm afraid of flying. Xanax works good. Your doc would probably give you some just for flights. It's not a med that you have to take weeks ahead of time. Just a thought.

Comment

I'm not afraid of flying, but I hate to go through the Nazi screening processes we now have in this country. So, I no longer fly.
          Retired

Comment

Do you think we'd be safer by doing it the way we used to?
            Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

I'm a pilot & flying scares the hell out of me. I worked air support for 13 years & broke into a sweat everytime I started the engine. Last time I flew on a commercial airline, we were almost midaired by a small plane. The pilot had to make a very violent manuver to avoid the other aircraft. As for the screening, what a joke, They see the 6-5 blonde white boy approaching & I hear them whispering "random search." Random my ***. I get the full treatment everytime, except for the body cavity search.

Comment

I do better when I fly in a smaller types of private planes, guess my thinking is that if the pilot dies of a stroke or heart attack, I could fly the plane myself (ya right, after I clean the **** out of my underwear).

I never really had any problems flying commerical planes until that crash of Value jet off of the Flordia coast and into the ever glades and then that crash (?) of TWA flight 800 off of New York, that one did me in for good.

I'm not some conspiracy fanatic, but I still think that plane (TWA 800)was shot down and covered up by the goverment so the public wouldn't panic.

After that TWA 800 flight, i'm white knuckles all the way,(look for my hand imprints in the seats arm rests) I havn't flown commercial even since and i'm not planning to either.

What a hell of a way to die, falling 2 plus miles into the ocean. Many belive that most don't die after the explosion, they are still living while falling and I don't want to personally find out (God help those poor souls).
                Fear is only as deep as the mind allows

Comment

I'm also a pilot and sometimes flying even scares me. Don't mind when I'm flying but when I fly with other people sometimes I get nervious. Nothing much you can do about it. Just try to pass out for the majority of the flight.
                  It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses....Hit it!

Comment

Im not afraid of flying.. but, I hate takeoff. Id be the guy with white knuckles, holding onto the seat for dear life.. after that Im ok.. well turbulence.. but thats another story

Comment

Ward you like me. I hate the takeoff. I know I'm coming down somewhere. If we don't make the take off however you are in the swamps with some very hungry crawfish and what ever they got out there.
                      Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

I really dislike flying too.
                        Last edited by ; 04-29-2005, 08:19 AM.

Comment

I used to love flying until about five years ago...I got an assignment where I had to fly around CA on a regular basis. I had a bad turbulence experience and have dreaded flight ever since. Add in the aforementioned plane crashes-especially one that wasn't mentioned, the Alaska Airlines flight from Mexico a few years back that flipped upside down in midair before diving into the drink. Fuke that!!! I freak every time I am now forced to fly, and next time I'm going to a doctor who can prescribe me some Xanax or other drug that will put me in a comatose state until we land. I don't think I will ever enjoy flying, even though my wife thinks it's an irrational fear, which it is.

Also, you might find some of the information on this website to be helpful.
                          Officer, I borrowed these pants!

Comment

Originally posted by Welpe
                            Do you think we'd be safer by doing it the way we used to?
                            I'm not paranoid about my safety while flying. I just don't like living under the same conditions they did in East Germany and Russia at one time. Freedom is too important to me to constrain it.
                            Retired

Comment

Haven't flown enought to really develop a fear of it. Landings bother me more than takeoff. I did fly in a helicopter once and really liked it. I do have a fear of heights so you would think the helicopter ride freaked me out but it didn't for some reason.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2623 users online. 143 members and 2480 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X