300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• k9 Poem

An officer we used to work w/ had to put his K-9 down after about 7 years of service. A few of us are getting together and purchasing a plaque for him. We would like to put a prayer or poem on it, any suggestions?

You'll find some things here you might like to use:
    http://www.in-memory-of-pets.com/page19a.htm

Every service I've been to for a K9 has had the following poem read at it. I've yet to be able to read it and not get choked up.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that

pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of

our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of

food, water and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and

vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and

strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and

times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small

thing: they each miss someone very special, someone who was left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one

suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are

intent; his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from

the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been

spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling

together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses

rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and

you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from

your life, but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...

*Author Unknown*

Comment

Niteshift
      Yeah you got me there. I've never looked at it like that before. As it stands I've got 5 waiting for me already!
      Stay Safe All
      Steve
      "We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence upon those who would do us harm" - George Orwell

Comment

I can't even read that poem without getting misty.....but when I hear it read at the services......I just quit trying to keep a stiff upper lip. Some might think it's strange, but those people never had dog they were close to.

Comment

Perhaps I am cold, but the only 1 thing that get me choked up are Police related funerals, wether is a dog or a person. I haven't been affected by family or friend deaths.
          By the way, the poem we have selectes is:
          Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of mine.
          Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.
          Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my waiting ear.
          Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.
          Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.
          Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.
          And, my friend, when I am very old, and I no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.

The plaque is going to have a picture of the dog above the peom.

Comment

I'm a lot like that.........I'll usually do good at police funerals and then there will be something that gets me.

One of the ones that got me the worst was a funeral I went to in 1998. There were people all along the procession route (kind of a small town, a police death was very unusual). Businesses actually closed and the employees came outside, cars stopped and people got out, we went by a school and they had the entire student body outside......... but I did ok, until the turn into the cemetary. Right at that turn, there were 2 kids, about 10 years old, with a hand written sign in that little kid writing that said "We're sorry you lost your friend". I'm not sure how I managed to see well enough to keep driving after that.....it just hit me so hard. Hits me everytime I tell the story.

Comment

I can't imagine how hard that must be, Nite. I went to the funeral of a friend who died of cancer today. When her little girl got up to sing (she's 10), I totally lost it and had to leave. I can't imagine how hard it must be to lose a police friend.
              And I have many animals waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge too.
              I think I'll go outside and be glad life i beautiful too.

Comment

Nite's poem sums it up pretty good for a K9 funeral. I have been to two of them for a neighboring agency that willing and graciously volunteered their blood hound tracking unit to assist us whenever we needed them. I thought it would be kind of a ho-hum type of thing and was truly touched by the emotions that were displayed at both funerals.

As far as funerals for officers and soldiers I can keep a dry eye and a stiff upper lip until I hear Taps. The first time I heard it played in a funeral was at the National Cemetary in Arlington, the funeral was for one of the best friends I have ever had. When I heard Taps start up I just started crying and couldnt stop. To this day every time I hear Taps it still makes me stop whatever I'm doing and say a prayer.

Comment

I never had a dog but a good friend of mine lost his in a burgarly shooting. He was like a part of the family and I was there when they buried him.I was also on the scene when it happened, quite emotional. However shot he still caputured the guy that shot him. That eased the pain some what putting this slime in jail. The poem is beautiful. Sorry for the lost and good luck.
                  Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

This one hits the spot in all K9 handlers.

GUARDIANS OF THE NIGHT
                    Trust in me my friend for I am your comrade.
                    I will protect you with my last breath.
                    When all others have left you
                    And the loneliness of the night closes in,
                    I will be at your side.
                    Together we will conquer all obstacles
                    And search out those who might wish harm to others.
                    All I ask of you is compassion,
                    The caring touch of your hands.
                    It is for you that I will selflessly give my life
                    And spend my nights unrested.
                    Although our days together
                    May be marked by the passing of the seasons.
                    Know that each day at your side is my reward.
                    My days are measured by
                    The coming and going of your footsteps.
                    I anticipate them at the opening of the door.
                    You are the voice of caring when I am ill.
                    The voice of authority over me when I've done wrong.
                    Do not chastise me unduly
                    For I am your right arm,
                    The sword at your side.
                    I attempt to do only what you bid of me.
                    I seek only to please you and remain in your favor.
                    Together you and I shall experience
                    A bond only others like you will understand.
                    When outsiders see us together
                    Their envy will be measured by their disdain.
                    I will quietly listen to you
                    And pass no judgement.
                    Nor will your spoken words be repeated.
                    I will remain ever silent,
                    Ever vigilant, ever loyal.
                    And when our time together is done
                    And you move on in the world,
                    Remember me with kind thoughts and tales.
                    For a time we were unbeatable,
                    Nothing passed among us undetected.
                    If we should ever meet again on another field
                    I will gladly take up your fight.
                    I am a Police Working Dog and together
                    We are GUARDIANS of the NIGHT.
                    As my friend says: All Narc, No Bite

Comment

Geez, between this thread and the recent one called Funeral in the Squad Room and the Officer Down section, its too sad here for me today!!
                      How about some happy K9 stories!!!

Comment

Ok, here's one. When I went to the Citzen's Academy at the Sheriffs department, one of the highlights for me was the K9 demonstration. One officer had this absolutely gorgeous German Shepard named Ajax. It was pronounced "I-ax", the German pronunciation because the dog came from Germany and learned German commands.
                        I've seem German Shepards before but this was the most gorgeous one I have ever seen, honestly.
                        The officer took the class outside after he had borrowed someones jewlery to hide. Then he told Ajax to "search" several times, very quietly. The dog searched and searched then proceeded to take a dump in front of all of us. It was so funny! And yes, he did find the jewlery after!

Comment

K9medic,

You beat me to it!!! FYI, we've had two dogs go down in a week here
                          1*
                          Take Care and STAY SAFE!!!

Comment

Sorry to hear about your dogs TennDECA. Was it line of duty? I trained with a guy who was on his third dog. His first one died after 5 years on the road from bloat, and his second one was hit by a car after only a week on the road (the dog was bailing out to assist him). He told me his agency offered him a few weeks of grievance. I couldnt imagine loosing 2 dogs within 6 months.
                            As my friend says: All Narc, No Bite

Comment

I found finally the link that shows our new police dogs!! Check out how beautiful they are... there are pictures at the end of the article!!!!
                              http://www.southam.com/windsorstar/f...dogs/dogs.html

P.S. Thanks Mitzi

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5600 users online. 363 members and 5237 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X