300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Holiday Tree" my *** !!!!

sorry PCers....its a CHRISTMAS tree!!!! not a holiday tree, or kwanzaa tree, or ramadan tree, or new age secular envirofriendly tree....it's a CHRISTMAS tree. if you are offended, stay in the house, lock the doors, pull down the blinds, don't watch tv or listen to radio, and wallow in your own PC pity!!!
    --------------------------------------------------

In Toronto, Christmas Is Out, 'Holiday Tree' Is In
    Yahoo News ^ | 11/25/02

TORONTO (Reuters) - Christmas is becoming an endangered word in parts of Canada in a rash of politically correct behavior -- such as renaming a Christmas tree a "holiday tree" -- that even non-Christians dismiss as silly.

Toronto city officials began the flap last week when they called the 50-foot (15.2 meter) tree set up outside City Hall a "holiday tree." That sparked much derision and prompted the city's mayor to set the record straight.

"Our special events staff went too far with their political correctness when they called it a holiday tree," said Mayor Mel Lastman. "They were trying to be inclusive and their hearts were in the right place, but you can't be politically correct all the time."

The mayor plans to introduce a motion in city council this week that will officially put the word Christmas in front of the word tree in all future city documents.

The name change led to complaints from Christians and left many non-Christians wondering what all the fuss was about.

"To take a generic term, slap it on a symbol that really only has significance to one religion..and then say we're being multicultural does not really fit," said Anita Bromberg of the Jewish group B'nai Brith Canada. "Whatever you call it, it's still a Christmas tree."

"You're not being inclusive when you try to apply one religious symbol to everybody. You call it what is."

Toronto has become the most multicultural city in Canada, with communities from around the world and residents who speak more than 100 different languages.

"I'm not sure what they're trying to achieve," Ahmed Shoker of the Canadian Islamic Congress in Saskatoon said on Monday. "Everyone has the full right to celebrate in their own way."

Toronto is not alone in its efforts to stress a holiday spirit rather than talking about Christmas.

The Royal Canadian Mint has a commercial in which it changes the old holiday standard "Twelve Days of Christmas" to "Twelve Days of Giving." But Mint spokesman Phil Taylor said the wording was merely meant to "position coins as a great gift for the holidays for whatever faith."

"It's the same kind of over the top political correctness," said Bernie Farber, Ontario executive director of the Canadian Jewish Congress. "There seems to be a fear within certain circles in Canada that people are going to react to Christmas in a negative way. But it's not the case.

"It's time to sort of get on with life, accept everybody for who they are and revel in their holidays as opposed to look for ways to deny people's holidays. It's just plain silly."
    I'll post, You argue.

Here we go. Pretty soon we won't have ANY holidays. Halloween is about the occult, Thanksgiving is too violent what with the death of a turkey, & Christmas is too much about christianity & not the other religions of the world. Now if we can just find something bad about New Years Day, Valentines, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Labor Day, Independence Day, Veterans Day, & Memorial Day. Of course, Easter is out because we go back to the christianity thing.

Comment

I seems that since everyone is to be equally represented the world is cluttered with,like you say PC'ers. My home association manager tried to point out a violation to a ownwer and it was actually a Ramadan item on the front door. Of course it was "OK" now, after the homeowner set her straight.

Kate

Comment

It is a Christmas tree, it has always been a Christmas tree, and it always will be a Christmas tree. If some people don't like it they can close their eyes and pretend it isn't there.

Comment

Do what we do. We are a close knit family, we socialize with our parish members and those who are like us. (I am not saying to go to church, that is not my point). By our choice, we send our children to catholic school. We have a school prayer in the morning following the pledge of allegience. Again, our choice. Everywhere we go, the bible is the bible, Christmas is Christmas and Kwanza is not a real holiday. So....be who you want to be and associate with those most like you. Screw everyone else.

My opinion, of course. [Wink]
          "It is easier for a king to have a lie believed than a beggar to spread the truth."---Robert Strecker

Comment

Well, I don't care whatcha call it as long as you respect others beliefs.
            I don't like peoples beliefs being trampled on by anyone, on either side of the issue.

Comment

Cripes already...

A Christmas Tree is a Christmas Tree. What's next are we going to start calling a Menorah a holiday candleholder??? I could give a rattus norvegicus' buttocks what anyone calls it. Call it what ya want. If you want to call it "Big thing in my house with a bunch of colorful crap on it", that's fine by me too. I'm a big beliver of 'to each is own'. I don't need to trash other's holidays to make my beliefs more sound.

Besides, everyone knows that Christians decided to have Christmas around the time of Yule to rope the Pagans in.

[ 11-27-2002, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: Piper ]

Comment

Kwanzaa is not a real holiday. It was invented a few years ago by some PC reconstructionists.
                Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

I hate to rain on anyone's parade, but this is really a non-issue. The "Christmas Tree" was originally a pagan symbol of life very popular in Europe. Early Christians "adopted" the symbol as the easier path to getting non-Christians to stop using it. Much the same reasoning is why Christmas is celebrated on 25 December instead of sometime in March or April (when the sheep usually give birth to their lambs)--the early Christians had to cope with a Roman holiday called "Saturnalia", which was an orgy by anyone's definition, and occurred in mid-December each year. When the church became ascendant in Italy, by placing Christmas smack in the middle of the Saturnalia period they could clamp down on all the merrymaking, tame it down a little, and use the enthusiasm to promote Christ's birth. No matter that it was historically inaccurate--the ends justified the means and we have Christmas in December as a result.

DaveInTx
                  Texan By Choice, not Accident

Comment

quote:
                    Originally posted by ateamer:
                    Kwanzaa is not a real holiday. It was invented a few years ago by some PC reconstructionists.

Well, if 1966 was a few years ago, I guess you are correct. [Wink]
                    Kwanzaa

OHHHHHH, before somebody says it, I know, I know I am a heathen.

[ 11-27-2002, 03:02 PM: Message edited by: OfcMikey ]

Comment

Dave, I love you.

Comment

quote:
                        Originally posted by Piper:
                        I'm a big beliver of 'to each is own'. I don't need to trash other's holidays to make my beliefs more sound.

i agree with ya! and it seems to me it's usually politicians or officials making these PC changes, not the people who celebrate differently than we do.

i love the diversity in this country, and if i had children, i would show them all of it. i was *sheltered* as a child, not on purpose but that's just the way we lived. once i got out in the world, i couldnt believe how different it was than my neighborhood! i love the way different cultures celebrate and seeing their traditions.
                        "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

You go JB.

Comment

jellybean -- i bet everything was in black and white too. you never saw colors until you left the farm, right??
                            I'll post, You argue.

Comment

quote:
                              Originally posted by nickg:
                              jellybean -- i bet everything was in black and white too. you never saw colors until you left the farm, right??

I just got a color TV last year. Wow, what a life changing device.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4876 users online. 295 members and 4581 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X