300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd Brake Light

Does anyone know if it is illegal to remove your third brake light in PA? In other words, are they required by law? I think my car looks better without it.
    "He who lives without Discipline Dies without Honor"

Call your local PD and ask. I would advise against it. You could open yourself up to civil liabilty should you be involved in a rear-end crash.

Comment

Good point, I should have probably thought about that. Thanks.

Comment

OEM Required By Law

If it's a factory installed brake light it's required and mandated by federal safety standards and because it's part of the vehicles safety equipment you can and probably will get a ticket. If you were to get hit in the rear the other driver would not get the ticket or could get out of paying you any damages and your insurance could cancel.

Still want to remove it for "looks" ????????????????

Comment

Re: 3rd Brake Light

Originally posted by rollerzonly61
          Does anyone know if it is illegal to remove your third brake light in PA? In other words, are they required by law? I think my car looks better without it.
          Are you still in the Academy at the moment? If so, do they ever inspect your vehicles? We had ours spot checked every so often and like Bodie said...you really want to risk it? I mean sure you can say it looks good,but a pet peeve of mine is when people put those Clear Tailights in and its hard to see someone brake.
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

YES.... it is illegal.

Its not only a motor vehicle violation, which could cost you $115.50 in Phila. Its also grounds for rejection in the Pa. State Inspection Laws.

But i do love those clear tail lenses. They are illegal also in Pa. It's a perfect probable cause for a stop. Along with any neon lights anywhere on the vehicle.
            Don't tell me you pay my salary unless your giving me a raise.

Comment

yes and those tag lights on low rider trucks, etc...I mean i don't mind people fixing their vehicles up...but use it for show, not to drive around and get fined all the time. I think it's illegal in Maryland too since clear lenses are considered a modification chaged from the factory...have to look it up.
              "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

What gest me is all the aftermarket lights and other accessories just about 99% of them have disclaimers right on the package that say "FOR SHOW OR OFF ROAD USE ONLY" yet people buy them and install them and can't understand when they get a ticket.

Comment

The totally clear taillights are illegal in all 50 states. Red must be present and only yellow can be used as turn or flash to the rear instead of red.

Comment

Wow, I didn't think this would be such a hot topic. I'll be keeping the 3rd light on, thanks. One of the other reasons I thought about leaving it off is because it is not fixed to the rear deck, it vibrates against the window and it is annoying. I'll just figure out a way to try and fix it to the deck so it won't vibrate against the rear window. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Comment

Rubber. I think that most of the rear deck lights Ive seen have some kind of rubber gasket that keeps the light semi attached to the rear window thus eliminating any rattling noises.

Slightly OT: I think the 3rd lights were great when they first came out and everyone noticed them. Now since they're so common I dont think they're doing the job of grabbing peoples attention that they used to.
                      Im currently ignoring ghostsix, Khalid72 & wcucj

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                        The totally clear taillights are illegal in all 50 states. Red must be present and only yellow can be used as turn or flash to the rear instead of red.
                        Are you talking about these "altezza" things? (they're all over eBay)

...or are the ones in the pic ok, because of the red parts?

-Sarge
                        "He's not a known offender Captain... he's not even a known species..!"

Comment

As long as the actual light source itself shines through a red lense the "clear style" are legal but if the entire lense etc is clear you can write an unbeatable ticket and perhaps if driver is indignant call a tow truck because it is a safety h***ard to others.

All upper mount 3rd brake lights I know of have a plastic or rubber gasket that stop them from rattling so contact dealer parts department for replacement one.

Comment

I have a 99 Altima and the light is really not supposed to actually touch the window, if the rear deck moves it gets pushed into the glass and vibrates. (The reason it vibrates is because of my sound system, but I didn't really want to get into that). I am just going to try and put a rubber gasket around it I think.

Comment

Like chinchilla said, the original idea was great (safety). A lot of the lights now are mounted just above the brake lights and defeat the original purpose, which was to allow other drivers to know you were applying your brakes. When they were mounted at the top of the rear window, they probably did.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7005 users online. 408 members and 6597 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X