300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has the worst computer?

I nominate mine. I bought it in 1998. It has a 433 MhZ processor, 64 Ram, originally only a 8 GB hard drive although I've upgraded to a 40 GB, no video card ( I'm missing out on some great games).

Then to top it off when I installed the 40 GB hard drive I tried to slave the old one to it. It sorta worked as I can access the old one but it doesn't boot up right anymore and the whole system freezes when I try to defrag it. And now the system is starting to make really strange groaning noises when I boot it up. I'm afraid to power down for fear it might be the last time it works.

Well, I think I have one of the best right now, but one of our many other computers is an Amiga. Remember those? Monotone screen, those huge floppy disks, a yellow and blue mouse, etc. Great collectors item though!
    If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?

Comment

If you have the worst one, mine is a close 2nd.

I have an NEC I bought new in 1997. It is an early Pentium II. 2 years ago, I began having MAJOR problems with it and allowed some BOZO, safely tucked away in a New JErsey bunker, talk me into reformatting it. Even with recovery disks and the original software CDs, etc, it never was the same. I lost ALL the games it came with, etc.

Then, 2 weeks ago, I reformatted it AGAIN and installed WIN98, v. 2, pluse tripled my memory. Everything SEEMED fine until I began reinstalling software. When it was time to install Photo Shop, it wouldn't take it. After force feeding it, it said I had to reboot to finish the installation. When I did, it came back up in 'Safe Mode', informing me that 3 files needed to run WIN98 were missing. WTF?!?!

vnetsup.vxd
      vredir.vxd
      dfs.vxd

I F'ing HATE computers at times like this!
      "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
      -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

For all the problems I've had lately, I can't say it's the computer that's given me the headache. If it weren't for children, I'd have the perfect computer, but unfortunately, my computer is outnumbered 4-1.

It's getting old though. My baby is 4 years old, but she's been good to me, up until recently. She got sick and upchucked all my files, but I fixed her all up.

I plan on getting a new computer in the spring and I'm going to pass this one on to the kids, although they're already claiming the new one I don't have yet.

Comment

My puter...

Purchased it last year, an HP with a Pent 4, has DVD, CD Burner and all that. I have 40 GB on one hard drive and 30 on the other.

Sigh...I did upgrade to Windoze XP, now my burner software does not work. *sigh*

Comment

Just upgraded to a Commodore 64, with 64k Ram, much faster than my Vic 20. With a floppy and dot matrix printer.
            Do your best, do what is right

Comment

Anyone remember the Radio Shack 'TRaSh 80s'?
              "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."

Comment

Got a HP pavilion 501n with a celeron. I thought when I bought it it came itha CD burner, NOPE! just a slot for it, boy was i suprised and a little p'd! I had it since may,it's my first computor.

Comment

I think somewhere in my parents' garage is the Apple IIe that they bought for me and my brother sometime in the very early 1980's.

My Samsung cell phone has more computing power than that thing.

Comment

I have a packard bell.

Need I say more?
                    Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

Mine's up there on the crap list. 1998 Celeron, 450mhz, 10GB, 64 Ram. My brother built it for me. It's recently started doing whatever it wants. It'll randomly reboot, then freeze while rebooting. Sometimes it stays frozen, and each time I restart it, it sticks at the same place. When it does make it past that point I get the wonderful message: Disk Boot Failure, Insert System Disk.
                      I don't have a system disk.

It eventually boots up after about 20 tries. &I hate ScanDisk. grrr

We still have our Apple IIe too. I love some of the games we have for it. So primitive, so fun.

[ 09-20-2002, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: ghost ]
                      Don't take life too seriously- you'll never come out of it alive.

Comment

I remember hearing that the Apple IIe had more power than ALL the computers used to launch the Apollo missions. Scary.......

Comment

My HP running windows 2000 pro is a pos, or maybe the OS is.

My son the comp expert said that WIN 2000 PRO was a very stable platform. Maybe he says that because once installed over an existing system, none of your existing software will run, except WIN 2000.

Comment

I have an HP, about 2 years old. It's ok. Been having trouble with it freezing and it won't let me close it with cntrl/alt/delete. I have to turn it off then it has to scandisk. Drives me crazy sometimes. But it's better then the other one I had.
                            Right now, my neighbor and I are barely speaking. He came over and he is REALLY good with computers but I don't like mine touched. I have it just the way I want it.
                            I come home and who's at my puter? My H rolled his eyes. I walked up and said, "Excuse me, but what are you doing?" He said, "You have this thing set up so crappy." I said, "SAYS YOU. Get off my computer."
                            He's mad because he is really good at DOS but I surpassed him in Windows and he knows it.

Comment

quote:
                              Originally posted by MikeTx:
                              My HP running windows 2000 pro is a pos, or maybe the OS is.

My son the comp expert said that WIN 2000 PRO was a very stable platform. Maybe he says that because once installed over an existing system, none of your existing software will run, except WIN 2000.

It's extremely stable, and aside from a few computer games, I had no software trouble. I hope you downloaded the service packs. Win2k is fantastic, robust, just great!

Windows XP is based on 2000... I mean, either that or you're using windows 98/ME which is based on an 18 year old OS...

My computer dates back to March... 1.6 ghz, 768 megs, 64 meg Geforce 3... tralalala, all on a wonderful dial up connection! (shakes fist at pacbell).
                              Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.
                              -Mark Twain

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3127 users online. 161 members and 2966 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X