Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the matter, you Yanks go no ships?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the matter, you Yanks go no ships?

We might not sell you Subs, but..... http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...5E3462,00.html

------------------
    We are the Police! Resistance is Futile!
    "Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open." Sir James Dewar 1842-1923

"Last December, Incat signed a deal with American shipyard operator Bollinger to make high-speed catamarans in the US.

The Bollinger deal is part of a strategy by Incat to break into the US military market.

Under American laws, foreign ships bought by the US Government must be at least 50 per cent assembled in the US."

Looks sort of similar to the situation ASC is in. The sub is a Swedish design and 70% of it is made in Austalia, leaving 30% made elsewhere.

------------------
    Niteshift-
    Where am I to go now that I've gone too far.

Comment

Yeah, but surely there is a shipbuilder in America that could make these ships for Americans???

------------------
      "Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open." Sir James Dewar 1842-1923

Comment

Why?

Apparently the US only wants a few of them, so why bother?

There are plenty of companies in the US capable of building televisions, but since Asian countries do it so much cheaper, we don't bother.

I believe that if there was a big enough market for it, we would get involved.

Besides, at least 50% of these ships will be made in the US.

------------------
        Niteshift-

Comment

With all of the shipyards closing, I believe the US is down to one solitary shipyard building military vessels. I don't know how many are capable of building smaller vessels.

Comment

There are many active military shipyards left in the U.S. The largest one is in my hometown of Newport News Va, that shipyard is the only one that builds (and is capable of building) Aircraft Carriers.

------------------
            You Carry a Badge? Then Carry a Gun.
            -----The Untouchables

Comment

I dunno...when ..what was it? Groton CT Shipyards?...closed last year, there were blurbs in the press about the declining military shipbulding capabilities. If there are in fact so many left, what could they have been referring to, in retrospect?

Comment

You sure Groton closed down?

------------------
                Niteshift-

Comment

Don't forget to include:

Bath Iron Works (Bath, ME)
                  Destroyers

Litton Ingalls Shipbuilding (Pascagoula, MS)
                  Destroyers, Amphibs

General Dynamics (Electric Boat Division)
                  Groton, CT (Subs)

Comment

Incat 045, HMAS Jervis Bay, was chartered by the Royal Australian Navy in June 1999 for a two year period.

HMAS Jervis Bay has been primarily employed by the Royal Australian Navy in logistic support operations for the international force deployment in East Timor. The ship is the first high-speed Ro-Pax to be used in an extended Defence application and in this current role she presents an opportunity for other nations to gauge the military potential of the latest Incat technology.

The 86 metre wave piercing catamaran can carry 500 fully equipped troops, their vehicles and stores. HMAS Jervis Bay makes three return crossings per week. With an average service speed of 40 knots, each crossing is completed in under 11 hours. Loads include Interfet troops, refugees, and various types of military vehicles, and frozen and chilled supplies.

The high speed craft built by Incat offer the advantages of speed and manoeuvrability and the design draft of under 4 metres can mean access to some geographical areas that more conventional vessels would find impossible.

HMAS Jervis Bay has proven to the world that high speed ships built by Incat can provide innovative solutions for other coastal surveillance and military requirements.

------------------

Comment

I thought the banners at the top of the page were the only commercials we'd get here.

------------------
                      Niteshift-

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5531 users online. 341 members and 5190 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X