300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• law enforcement community

I AM A COLLEGE STUDENT INTERESTED IN LAW ENFORCEMENT. RIGHT NOW I HAVE TO DO A PAPER ON A CERTAIN TYPE OF COMMUNITY FOR A CLASS. I HAVE CHOSEN TO DO THE LAW ENFORCEMENT COMMUNITY. COULD YOU PLEASE ANSWER A FEW QUESTION TO HELP ME IN MY PAPER?--WHAT DEFINES THE LAW ENFORCEMENT COMMUNITY? HOW DO YOU RELAX OUT SIDE OF WORK? HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH THE STRESS OF WORK?

THIS WOULD HELP ME OUT A LOT. THANKS!

KIRBY

Hmmm.....Does CobraVenom do guest appearances? If so, I can think of a few local
    agencies he can stop by and do his routine at.
    [email protected]
    ---------------------------

It's better to die happy..........than just die

May Tyr watch over and guide my hand each day.........to do the right thing

Comment

Yeah, upper case letters means yelling so don't do that.

A law enforcement community is comprised of those who work in law enforcement. Now who that might be is subject to debate. Some people include those jobs related to law enforcement & some people include people related to law enforcement. I would limit community to mean local but that's just me.

Outside of work I relax with music, golf, & TV. I try to stay away from cop shows &, really, don't socialize with other officers very much.

At work I handle stress in the office by taking a break from it when I can. I'll take a walk outside around the building or go for a short drive to Sonic for a drink.

Comment

LEO community: As I work with the Border Patrol, I would consider the agents at my station as my immediate "family", those from other stations and local LEOs (PD, Sheriff, state, etc) as my "cousins". Depending on the situation, I may or may not consider support personnel (dispatchers, mechanics, etc) as part of the family.

Off-Duty:Pretty much the same as everyone else - I have a life outside of my job. During work, my "family" are my partners. OUtside of work, my family is my "family". I prefer to distance myself 100% from the job when I am on my time.

On-Duty: If I can, I go take a walk and distance myself from the problem. If that is not possible, I deal with it. If it is something like a death, then I try to de-personalize it (ie that is not really a real person there). That may sound hard, but it is my sanity I try to preserve. Sometimes (especially with children or victim's family members nearby) this is difficult, but I try. Gotta keep a thick skin and sick sense of humor.

Our organization has a "counsellor" (head shrinker) on call for free of charge. I've yet to need that service, but it is comforting to know that is available.

Good luck with your project.
        "Public service is not just a job.
        It is an act of citizenship."
        ---G.W. Bush

Comment

As for "family"....it's only the officers from my agency.....the extended family (similar to
          Leslie's 'cousins') are the DS and Ofcs from other agencies within the county. And everyone
          else is everyone else. Used to included dispatchers in the family till they started screwing
          the officers over (yes, there are some good dispatchers).

Outside of work I ride my bike........ALOT. It's a good stress reliever......wears the body and
          lets the mind drain out. Do a bit of boxing, and lifting on the side.

At work......I just bitch to the other ofcs like they do to me. Makes us feel good. [Wink]

Don't associate with many non-LEOs. I've gotten to tired of the dumb attitudes I get and those who can't relate to cop humor. If they don't see and do what I do, they don't understand the jokes we make and I don't waste time trying to defend myself to them.

The exception are military and ex-military......they share a similar "isolated" view of the world from the mainstream Joe and Jane Blow.
          [email protected]
          ---------------------------

It's better to die happy..........than just die

May Tyr watch over and guide my hand each day.........to do the right thing

Comment

Thank you so much for your help!! Keep it coming!

Kirby

Comment

I define the law enforcement community as anyone who works for a law enforcement agency and has arrest powers. I also include a few dispatchers. Records clerks give me nothing but headaches, so they are definately out.

How do I deal with the stress?

1) I post and read on O.com

2) I go to the movies and play with my kids when they are not with my ex

3) I watch The History Channel, Discovery Wings, and lots of movies after I come home from work.

4) I just started thinking about Piper, thats been a big stress relief today

5) I don't listen to the scanner and I try not to hear sirens when I'm off duty.

6) My biggest stress reliever is sleeping. I love to sleep. Nobody can get into your head then.

[ 09-19-2002, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Evnings ]
              RADAR is the 8th wonder of the world.

Comment

"Records clerks give me nothing but headaches, so they are definately out."

HEY! dontcha Know Im a Police Clerk!
                I feel so assaulted. [Frown]
                Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3055 users online. 145 members and 2910 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X