• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is he a lawyer or ex-police officer?

Lawyer admits cover-up
    Tasmanian Murcury
    By DANNY ROSE
    04jul01

A FORMER Tasmanian policeman turned lawyer yesterday admitted stealing $100,000 in a cover-up that was doomed to fail, the Supreme Court heard yesterday.

Ian Robert McDonald, 49, lost almost $100,000 for a client after investing the money in a West Australian gold mining venture that failed.
    But rather than tell the client of the loss, McDonald took $100,000 from a deceased estate.
    Crown prosecutor Tim Ellis told the court in Burnie McDonald then forged supporting documents and lied to the family of the deceased.
    "The accused had hidden this chain of transactions," Mr Ellis said.
    The court heard McDonald, of Ulverstone, was a member of Tasmania Police for nine years to 1986, with postings including the Criminal Investigation Bureau and the fraud squad.
    He resigned to study law full-time, graduated in 1989 and practised mainly in the North-West up until early 2000.
    Defence counsel Greg Richardson said McDonald had his name struck off the lawyers' roll after the Law Society began steps to do so.
    Mr Richardson also said his client had a brain aneurism removed in 1997, after years of misdiagnosis for chronic headaches.
    "He had intense headaches to the extent that he would lose consciousness," Mr Richardson said.
    "But his post-surgical problems were greater."
    Mr Richardson said McDonald then suffered from radically reduced short-term memory, loss of sight and depression.
    He said McDonald's professional and home life became "a shambles".
    It was in this environment that he made an "appalling decision".
    "He was unable to function as a legal practitioner," Mr Richardson said.
    He said the cover-up was pathetic and doomed to fail, and indicated
    McDonald's mental inability to cope.
    Mr Richardson said McDonald had wrongly felt sorry for the investor.
    "This money was not stolen to fund gambling or play the land market," Mr Richardson said. "There is no question of personal gain."
    McDonald will be sentenced today.

------------------
    We are the Police! Resistance is Futile!
    "Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open." Sir James Dewar 1842-1923

At least the headline said lawyer.......but they mentioned cop first in the article.

------------------
    Niteshift-
    Where am I to go now that I've gone too far.

Comment

Isn't it always the way, Nite?!

------------------
      "Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open." Sir James Dewar 1842-1923

Comment

I figure they put it in just for the shock value. People EXPECT lawyers to be dirt-bags.

I bet that he did other jobs in life too, but those never get mentioned. You never see "Lawyer and former McDonalds worker when he was in high school"

------------------
        Niteshift-

Comment

I have to agree with you, Nite.
          There is nothing to say that he was in the police for more than 2 seconds.

I suppose they have to sell newspapers somehow.

------------------

Comment

Cover-up lawyer gets jail
            Tasmanian Murcury

05jul01

A FORMER Tasmanian policeman turned lawyer who stole $100,000 in a failed cover-up was jailed for 27 months yesterday, with 15 months suspended.

Ian Robert McDonald, 49, of Ulverstone, was sentenced by Justice Alan Blow in the Supreme Court in Burnie.

He pleaded guilty on Tuesday to one charge of stealing after taking $100,000 from a deceased estate in 1998.

Justice Blow described the act as a "breach of trust by a solicitor, who stole a substantial amount of money, and took steps to conceal this".

He said McDonald stole the money to negate a bad investment he had made, with "little or no security", for another client.

Justice Blow took account of McDonald's failing mental health in the final years of his 10-year legal career.

McDonald had a brain aneurism surgically removed in 1997, and struck himself off the lawyers' roll in March 2000.

His condition had left him with a reduced vocabulary, poor vision and a loss of concentration and short-term memory.

"He would not have offended as he did if he had not suffered neuro-psychological symptoms and depression," Justice Blow said.

He described McDonald as obviously remorseful and passed sentence taking into account his "unusual and tragic personal circumstances".

McDonald was sentenced to jail for two years and three months, starting yesterday.

Fifteen months of the jail term was suspended on the condition that he commits no act of dishonesty for three years.

McDonald was also ordered to repay the $100,000 to the family of the deceased.

The court earlier heard that McDonald stole the $100,000 to secretly replace an equal sum of client's money he lost on a bad investment.

The client was repaid in full in 1998, not knowing the investment had soured or that the money was stolen.

McDonald was a member of Tasmania Police for nine years to 1986, with service stints in the Criminal Investigation Bureau and the fraud squad.

------------------

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Artie:
              I have to agree with you, Nite.

Okay, enough is enough eh!! Thats twice now!

Comment

I am sorry WW,
                I will try to do better in future. OK??

------------------

Comment

Just go edit that other thread please! Its almost morning!

Thank you

Comment

Nag, nag, nag, nag, nag, nag, nag, nag, nag.

------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Artie:
                      Nag, nag, nag, nag, nag, nag, nag, nag, nag.

SMILEwhen you say that, stranger! [img]http://www.angelfire.com/j***/hh300/orangerocket.gif[/img]

------------------
                      I used to have an open mind - but my brains kept falling out.

6P1 (retired)
                      6P1 (retired)

Comment

I heard another one today..........

This sicko was raping girls that attended his daughters sleep overs.......How did they refer to him? The former Marine. He wasn't in the Marines when it happened and there is no connection between slipping drugs to girls and raping them and being a Marine.

------------------
                        Niteshift-

Comment

Niteshift:
                          there is no connection between slipping drugs to girls and raping them and being a Marine.

Isn't that what all Marines do? NOT!

------------------

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3536 users online. 172 members and 3364 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X