Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Give Your Thoughts on These Academy Photos...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Give Your Thoughts on These Academy Photos...

Check out these photos of the MA State Police Academy class currently in session. What is the first thing wannabes, civilians and veteran officers think of when seeing them?

http://www.mass.gov/msp/academy/77rtt/77rtt.htm

(hey SinePari are you in this class)?
    Last edited by BrickCop; 01-08-2005, 01:36 PM.
    Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The first amendment protected views/commentary/opinions/satire expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer.

I got a particular chuckle out of the Pecker Inspection. (Week 2 photos, second row, far right). [I understand "Attention" and "At ease", but how do you manage "Right Shoulder Arms."

I don't think we did that in the academy.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

Comment

Those are great!! Did 34 people really drop out in the first week?? That seems like a lot! Definitely looks like no joke!

Comment

WOW, looks like Basic Training all over again..lol...my first day at the Academy was EXTREMELY relaxed...
        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I was sworm in , the 1 day i was hired, and off to the county jail
          ya went, it either made ya...or you were handing in yr badge,
          or throwing it on the sgt's table within the 1st week.
          i had 4 months ojt, then 320 ojt/ 320 academy ( 16 ) hour days
          then 3 months fto. thank god a relaxed academy , i had been thru
          the 280 hr fire academy 1yr prior and kept up a decent p.t. routine.

www.schackdaddy.com
          " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
          " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Yep, kinda reminds me of Sand Hill at good ol' Ft. Benning.

I'd prefer to forget.
            Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

Looks like pictures of military basic training.
              Hail hail the gang's all here, when the going gets tough I know my friends will still be there. - Drop Kick Murphys, "The Gang's all Here"

Comment

Re: Give Your Thoughts on These Academy Photos...

Originally posted by BRICKCOP
                What is the first thing wannabes, civilians and veteran officers think of when seeing them.
                Military basic training.
                Retired

Comment

The last couple of weeks don't look all that different from my Academy. The first few weeks looks like Fort Benning.

I've never understood the screaming, yelling, etc., at a Police Academy. In the military, you need blind obedience from the soldiers, so they need to be conditioned to follow orders without question. Basic training is good for that.

Police work, however, is far different. After a couple of months field training, cops are usually sent out on their own, to make very important decisions all by themselves. Getting screamed at and demeaned for the prior few months is not good preparation for that.

Two thoughts about the MA State Police specifically....the pictures of the "DI's" cracks me up. The thought of someone who has probably spent their entire career doing traffic enforcement, suddenly playing John Wayne, greatly amuses me. My other thought is that most every rookie state trooper I've encountered is arrogant, has a chip on his shoulder, and can't wait to stick-it to the public.

Think maybe it's time to re-think the training policy?
                  Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

Comment

Thats because $hit rolls downhill..

Comment

1st week pics...sorta look like...delivering a bunch of convicts to state prison here in fla
                      " if you talk in your sleep, don't mention my name....
                      " if you walk in your sleep, forget where you came....

Comment

Originally posted by Delta784
                        The last couple of weeks don't look all that different from my Academy. The first few weeks looks like Fort Benning.

I've never understood the screaming, yelling, etc., at a Police Academy. In the military, you need blind obedience from the soldiers, so they need to be conditioned to follow orders without question. Basic training is good for that.

Police work, however, is far different. After a couple of months field training, cops are usually sent out on their own, to make very important decisions all by themselves. Getting screamed at and demeaned for the prior few months is not good preparation for that.

Two thoughts about the MA State Police specifically....the pictures of the "DI's" cracks me up. The thought of someone who has probably spent their entire career doing traffic enforcement, suddenly playing John Wayne, greatly amuses me. My other thought is that most every rookie state trooper I've encountered is arrogant, has a chip on his shoulder, and can't wait to stick-it to the public.

Think maybe it's time to re-think the training policy?
                        Maybe this type of training could explain some states troopers superiority complex when dealing with off duty cops from other jurisdictions. In Florida, I can't tell you how many stories I hear of troopers writing other cops tickets. When most would never think of it. A fellow police officer I work with was pulled over on christmas day of last year by a Florida state trooper for doing 79 in a 70. The trooper gave him a break on the speading (aww what a nice traffic officer), but gave him a ticket for not waering a seatbelt. Then wished him a happy holiday! Needless to say, he told the trooper to "shove it"!

Comment

BMT only difference is the rainbows are missing.

Comment

IMO, I believe the days of screaming and yelling at recruits are gone and doesnt particularly achieve a lot in todays day and age. I dont really want robots on my section, but I do want people that can reason and think and make pragmatic decisions.

I would say that some potentially excellent officers would have flagged it because of this type of training.
                            allblacks.com

Comment

Change the uniforms and it's basic training all over again.

We've got a trooper in these parts that is always talking about how his academy was and the whole pseudo military thing. I usually leave the room since he talks like a wannabe GI Joe and I've been there and done that.
                              Really? Guess what, I still don't care.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4105 users online. 262 members and 3843 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X