Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CJ degrees and LE

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CJ degrees and LE

    Let

  • #2
    Every once in awhile, I'll browse the jobs section of the paper, and for the jobs that require a college degree, the overwhelming majority require just a degree from an accredited college or university.

    The degree can be in Business Administration, Criminal Justice, or Ancient Babylonian Astrology, it doesn't matter. The employer is looking for someone with tha maturity and discipline to complete a course of study. To say that Criminal Justice degrees are worthless is asinine.

    If I were in charge of such things, I'd require police recruits to have at least a 2-year degree (in anything) or military service. That would show me that the person has the qualities that I'm looking for.
    Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

    Comment


    • #3
      If I were in charge of such things, I'd require police recruits to have at least a 2-year degree (in anything) or military service. That would show me that the person has the qualities that I'm looking for.
      I agree with Delta, but I'd change the "or" to an "and."
      Made ya look!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        CJ degree equals your a cop. It has no value in any other field.
        I satnd by our advice to young people that to get a degree in anything then study CJ as a minor or later after hire.

        Comment


        • #5
          The academy will teach you what you need to know about being a cop. Learn to do something else. A lot of the others you can apply to LE, such as computer science.
          "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Bodie
            CJ degree equals your a cop. It has no value in any other field.
            That's simply not true. Go look in the various job listings where college is required. The overwhelming majority say "4-year degree from an accredited college or university". The degree can be in literally anything.

            I have yet to see "Criminal Justice majors need not apply".
            Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

            Comment


            • #7
              CJ Degrees and LE

              I've made some less than flattering comments on CJ degrees, so I guess I need to stand by them. While it's true that the degree is not totally worthless, and that any degree is evidence of a commitment to learning, and evidence of some self discipline, it just doesn't pack the "wallop" that it should as a career builder. It can be useful if you're going to pursue a degree in another academic discipline,but as a "stand alone" career enhancer, it just isn't there. I stand by my assertion that almost any other degree is more useful.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: CJ Degrees and LE

                Originally posted by PhilipCal
                It can be useful if you're going to pursue a degree in another academic discipline,but as a "stand alone" career enhancer, it just isn't there. I stand by my assertion that almost any other degree is more useful.
                Well, you'd be out of luck if you wanted to be a police chief in a lot of places that specify a degree in criminal justice, law enforcement, or a related field.

                http://www.apbweb.com/employment.htm
                Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

                Comment


                • #9
                  CJ seems to be much more abstract, much like the profession.

                  Somebody who did well with a CJ degree, I would know, could perform well in a job requiring broad ranging skills. If I required a technical speciallist, definatly not CJ.
                  "In my life I have met many people who were quick to point a finger, and but a few that cared enough lift one"

                  ME

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    It's a degree...Congrats if you have accomplished it or not..myself I am doing online classes in CJ since during the academy I achieved 40 college credits I am putting towards my CJ degree...Bodie..a CJ degree does not equal a cop, and I have no idea of where or how you would equal them out. Most agencies only require as said before "at least 60 college credits or 2 yrs military service". They are not looking at what classes you took or not...shoot I have 69 so far and most are or have been BS classes...but some depts let u move up in the ranks if you have a BS/BA degree...as like the feds, FBI, DEA, they want you to have college...they do not specify CJ, they want Bus, Languages, etc...i just don't see a relation to having a CJ degree and saying, well "hey I have a CJ degree" I am a cop...B*llsh*t...cause we all know some people do think they are going to be in LE if they achieve that CJ degree...i think not...sorry my 2 cents!
                    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I agree with Delta, but I'd change the "or" to an "and."

                      I don't agree with jorkassyd. I agree that 2 years of college or military should be enough. I went to the military right out of HS and I think that the military prepares you better for a law enforcement career than that of a degree. I'm not saying anything bad about having a degree, but it has always gotten my goat about depts that require college before you can even apply. LEO agencies are para-military and the skills and values I learned as a marine serve me better than a AS or BS. Can they enhance it? Probably, but when you won't even look at people without it, you get a pool of college only who most couldn't pour **** out of a boot with the instructions written on the heal.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: I agree with Delta, but I'd change the "or" to an "and."

                        Originally posted by djbaynes
                        I don't agree with jorkassyd. I agree that 2 years of college or military should be enough. I went to the military right out of HS and I think that the military prepares you better for a law enforcement career than that of a degree. I'm not saying anything bad about having a degree, but it has always gotten my goat about depts that require college before you can even apply. LEO agencies are para-military and the skills and values I learned as a marine serve me better than a AS or BS. Can they enhance it? Probably, but when you won't even look at people without it, you get a pool of college only who most couldn't pour **** out of a boot with the instructions written on the heal.
                        I am going to have to disagree because a lot of department will look over a military person to one with college or experience in related fields. I was in the military and do not feel that prepared me for LE. And most people I work with agree that nothing in the military helped them in LE. I mean does doing a 3-5 second rush avoiding the enemy teach you how to speak to citizens, find lost children, assist in directing traffic,etc..I could go on. And I agree with the policies of many depts having the requirement of college credits...and think about it fi u were a Marine...you earned college credits going through boot camp and or school you went to...you just have to get it transfered to an accredited college...

                        And I Am sorry, but I would rather work with someone with a higher education then someone who thinks ****ing on a boot or yelling "jar-head" lingo all day is better. No offense there, because I use to have to do the whole "hooah" (spelling)..LOL thing in basic or what not. Most agencies are not looking for that gung ho all American Soldier...so you served 3-4 yrs, congrats..."we will look into your background"...oh you got 70 college credits..."we will look, etc" get what I am saying, neither is better then one another...it's all about who has the background...
                        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Delta784
                          Every once in awhile, I'll browse the jobs section of the paper, and for the jobs that require a college degree, the overwhelming majority require just a degree from an accredited college or university. The degree can be in Business Administration, Criminal Justice, or Ancient Babylonian Astrology, it doesn't matter.
                          It seems to be a little different in this neck of the woods. I work in recreation and a recreation degree is required. My son is majoring in athletic training and will not be able to get a job as an AT after graduation without that specific degree. Accountants are required to have an accounting degree; HR people are required to have a personnel management degree; city manager has a business degree with emphasis in city administration etc. etc.

                          My experience, at least in TN, is that employers want degrees specific (or at least closely related) to the position candidates are applying for.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by krj
                            My experience, at least in TN, is that employers want degrees specific (or at least closely related) to the position candidates are applying for.
                            Go to Monster.com and check the job listings. Those that require a college degree, the overwhelming majority just state a degree from an accredited college or university.
                            Talk sense to a fool, and he will call you foolish - Euripides

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Bodie
                              CJ degree equals your a cop. It has no value in any other field.
                              I satnd by our advice to young people that to get a degree in anything then study CJ as a minor or later after hire.
                              You're kidding, right? My girlfriend is a CJ major and has absolutely no interest in being a police officer.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 6571 users online. 320 members and 6251 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X