Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need computer help: "...Performed illegal operation & will be shut down message.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need computer help: "...Performed illegal operation & will be shut down message.

For the past two days, each time I try to start up the Internet Explorer site, which is what I use most of the time, I get the following message: You have performed an illegal operation and will be shut down...the computer then will shut down or just simply freeze up. If it freezes, I can't even reboot for several minutes.

When I am able to enter the Internet Explorer and get to this O.com, I can try to access a link but then that same message comes up, screen freezes and much frustration abounds.

What is going on?

Jim Burnes

Run Scandisk and Disk Defragmenter and see if the problem continues. If it does, uninstall Explorer and reinstall.
    "But if it be a sin to covet honor, I am the most offending soul alive." from Henry V, by Wm. Shakespeare

Comment

My guess is that a file within I.E has become corrupted or has vanished. You could try reinstalling and/or updating I.E before defragmenting, as it is something you usually wanna let run at night... it can take a while if your hard drive is large enough

What O.S, are you using, praytell? if it's not Windows 2000, or Windows Professional, you may want to think about upgrading.
      Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.
      -Mark Twain

Comment

I always knew you were a scoff law.

Comment

The same thing used to happen to my computer.It got worse & worse even though we ran the disk cleanup and defrag'd a million times. Eventually We saved all that we thought was important onto cd's and ran the recovery program.

Comment

The computer police will be out shortly to arrest you for that illegal operation. [Wink]
            "Speed is fine, but accuracy is final"--Bill Jordan

Comment

screw it man... solve the problem, just reformat the hard drive. teeheehee... Works for me. ~eg~

[ 01-13-2003, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: InSane1 ]
              Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

I use Netscape but have Internet Explorer too. It's a problem with Explorer. I NEVER use it but when I boot up, I have to shut down to reboot because there is always a problem with Explorer. I have always used Netscape.

Comment

You may also want to visit windowsupdate.microsoft.com. This site will (with your permission) search you computer looking for things that can be upgraded/fixed and then will let you select which ones you want (its all free). Doing this may resolve the problem you're seeing (and you will also have the option of grabbing the latest & greatest version of Explorer if you don't have it already).

Good luck!
                  "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. " -- ???

Comment

When that happens to me I just call the nearest teenager.

Comment

Several posters already mentioned this, but upgrading to the latest IE will probably put back whatever is making this happen. Use the Windows Update built in to 98 or WinME to get it (if you're over cable or DSL). If you're dial-up, be prepared to leave it downloading for a few hours. [Eek!]

As cheap as they are, if you're considering a new computer, look for one with WindowsXP on it. Stability is light years above Win98/ME.

Comment

I've cleaned out excess programs, defragged and also utilized the suggestions posted above. Still, I get that illegal operation message.

So, if it persists in this obstinate manner I will be forced to shoot it! [Eek!]

Disgruntled Computer Abuser.

Comment

I typed in "illegal operation message" on the MSN search engine and came up with several possibilities, insufficient disk space, etc. You might try your own search.

Comment

Shoot the computer, buy a new one.

Comment

time for a new 'puter!

I love that new 'puter smell!
                              -Sparky

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3900 users online. 228 members and 3672 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X