300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas City Goes Bankrupt From Tickets

Anyone see this. This was on the Netscape news page.

Speed-Trap City Bankrupted by Traffic-Ticket Debt
    KENDLETON, Texas (Reuters) - The traffic tickets that fed the southeast Texas city of Kendleton's coffers and its reputation as a speed trap have ended up driving it into bankruptcy in an ironic twist of highway law enforcement.

Kendleton Mayor Carolyn Jones said the city was forced to file for federal bankruptcy protection after the state seized all $18,599 in the city bank account. Texas asserts Kendleton owes the state $1.7 million in unpaid speeding ticket debts of its own.

Texas officials, citing a 1995 law that allows cities of fewer than 5,000 people to keep traffic fines equaling only 30 percent of their total revenue, say Kendleton collected too much money from speeding enforcement from 1990-99.

Anything collected beyond that threshold goes to the state, as a way to keep cities from turning their police departments into money-making machines. Kendleton's attorney disputes the amount the city owes the state.

The city's traffic-ticket troubles bubbled over last June when the city council disbanded its 15-member police force amid a state-FBI investigation into misuse of federal grants and missing ticket money that is still continuing.

Situated 45 miles southwest of Houston on U.S. Highway 59, the main route stretching from the northeastern corner of Texas down to the border city of Laredo, Kendleton took advantage of its prime frontage to catch a steady stream of speeders.

"The view only changes for the lead dog." ~ Sergeant Preston of The Yukon ~

Interesting post Guard Dog!

------------------
    I used to have an open mind - but my brains kept falling out.

6P1 (retired)
    6P1 (retired)

Comment

I believe that, some years ago, they stopped then Nueces County Sheriff Hickey on a bogus speeding charge. I recall a lot of fallout, but none of the specifics.

------------------
      God, I love my job!-Porthos
      "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)

Comment

look if your ****ed the cops took your weed/crack away why dont you just stop smoking it than?
        sigpicMy statements do not represent my agency.

Comment

Originally posted by eman2k5
          look if your ****ed the cops took your weed/crack away why dont you just stop smoking it than?
          Holy, this thread is 5-years-old!
          May God bless every single public servant out there!

Comment

Speed-Trap City Bankrupted by Traffic-Ticket Debt
            KENDLETON, Texas (Reuters) -
            The traffic tickets that fed the southeast Texas city of Kendleton's coffers and its reputation as a speed trap have ended up driving it into bankruptcy in an ironic twist of highway law enforcement.

Kendleton Mayor Carolyn Jones said the city was forced to file for federal bankruptcy protection after the state seized all $18,599 in the city bank account. Texas asserts Kendleton owes the state $1.7 million in unpaid speeding ticket debts of its own.

Texas officials, citing a 1995 law that allows cities of fewer than 5,000 people to keep traffic fines equaling only 30 percent of their total revenue, say Kendleton collected too much money from speeding enforcement from 1990-99.

Anything collected beyond that threshold goes to the state, as a way to keep cities from turning their police departments into money-making machines. Kendleton's attorney disputes the amount the city owes the state.

The city's traffic-ticket troubles bubbled over last June when the city council disbanded its 15-member police force amid a state-FBI investigation into misuse of federal grants and missing ticket money that is still continuing.

Situated 45 miles southwest of Houston on U.S. Highway 59, the main route stretching from the northeastern corner of Texas down to the border city of Laredo, Kendleton took advantage of its prime frontage to catch a steady stream of speeders
            If true (and I have little doubt), then that's "OK" in my book.

The law is not an excuse to fatten city coffers. Law enforcement is a duty that should always be done with an even hand. Law enforcement administered simply to bring in the $$$$ can only deminish respect for the law, and for the officers enforcing it. The deminished respect does not stop at the city line, it touches us all.

If you can't make it as a city, revert to a town. The people living there then knew what was going on in a community that small. Now, I suspect property values (even that owned by some officers) will plummet with that debt hanging over all.

There is a lesson here for other communities.

$1.7 million? Ouch!

Last edited by t150vsuptpr; 12-13-2006, 10:31 AM.
            "That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

Damn ......

Originally posted by Razor60
              Holy, this thread is 5-years-old!

........ so it is!

Still, it's a good lesson.

I wonder how the case worked out since then?

"That's right man, we've got mills here that'll blow that heap of your's right off the road."

"Beautiful Daughter of the Stars."(it's my home now)

>>>>> A Time for Choosing <<<<<

Retired @ 31yr 2mo as of 0000 hrs. 01-01-10. Yeah, all in all, it was good.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5891 users online. 346 members and 5545 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X