300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medication in car

My son is really bad about forgetting his epilepsy medication. Sometimes, he doesn't come home at night (no, I don't ask) and he misses a dose because he doesn't have his meds with him. I suggested he keep some in his car in that event. His concern is that if he should get stopped or the car gets searched (which has never happened) that he will have to cool his heels at the station or something while the medication is identified as his epilepsy medication.
    What does happen if you pull someone over and you find meds in their car?

[This message has been edited by Mitzi (edited 07-01-2001).]

Mitzi,

I'm not 100% positive on this, but is he eligible for a license? I know several epeleptics that have been denied licenses because of the illness.

As far as the meds, I doubt he'd have any problems.

------------------
    Niteshift-
    Where am I to go now that I've gone too far.

Comment

Best have him keep it in the original prescription bottle. However this will not necessarily guarantee that he won't be detained while the drug is identified.

He SHOULD have this with him. But he may have to answer some questions.

------------------
      I used to have an open mind - but my brains kept falling out.

6P1 (retired)
      6P1 (retired)

Comment

Oh jeeze, Nite is right! (Gonna have to start calling him Rush)

I didn't even think about that. But I can tell you that in California, an epileptic is barred from having a license!

------------------
        I used to have an open mind - but my brains kept falling out.

6P1 (retired)
        6P1 (retired)

Comment

I was thinking the same thing.
          In God we trust, all others are run MILES and NCIC.

Comment

Yes, he is eligible. Even tho he has epilepsy, he has been seizure free for 2 years. If he has one, then he must give up his license until he is seizure free for 2 years. But, we go Tuesday to find out about a new operation that can possibly remove the seizure activity from his brain. Even if they do, tho, he will be on meds the rest of his life and will always be considered to have epilepsy.
            Driving has always bee a real source of contention between us. He is driving safely but I think Florida's law is ridiculous. I think they should be barred from driving also. But then, I have heard of epileptics who ARE having seizures who drive anyway and just don't report it. They just drive anyway.
            I pray this new surgery will help him. Then, we can stop fighting about it. He has to be watched very closely for any sign of a seizure. This, he hates. I hope this surgery will let us all rest easier.

[This message has been edited by Mitzi (edited 07-02-2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Don:
              Oh jeeze, Nite is right! (Gonna have to start calling him Rush)

I didn't even think about that. But I can tell you that in California, an epileptic is barred from having a license!

Negative. I am an epileptic. See the ADA.

------------------
              Cheers.

Mick

[This message has been edited by uspublisher (edited 07-02-2001).]

Comment

Mick, when I say I think epileptics shuld be barred from driving, ou have to understand where I am coming from.
                Our son became ill when he was 14 with a benign brain tumor that left him with epilepsy. It is SHEER H*** living with a teenager that can't drive. It would had been better had father presented a united front with me on this but he chose to wimp out and support our son. I found out he was letting him drive without a license or insurance and you know what hit the fan.
                It took reporting them to the police, who talked to the 2 of them, to end the driving until he had been seizure free for 2 years. How I am still a married woman, I don't know.
                The epilepsy had created severe problems in our family. I can deal with the law being 2 years seizure free but I know there are those who drive anyway. I'm sure, even if they did barr driving here in Florida, many with epilepsy would drive anyway. I'm sure my son would be one of them.
                It's just too hard for me to understand WHY my 2 men didn't see or care about the danger. They still don't but do now go by the law. It caused me many sleepless nights and I think things only got better when I started talking divorce. Then, he knew I meant business.

Comment

ADA has had no effect on the law here about it. Nor should it, IMO.

I knew about the 2 year part, but I think there is also something in the guidelines about different types (or causes) being allowed/disallowed.

------------------
                  Niteshift-

Comment

Originally posted by Niteshift:
                    ADA has had no effect on the law here about it. Nor should it, IMO.

I knew about the 2 year part, but I think there is also something in the guidelines about different types (or causes) being allowed/disallowed.

There are 4 different types; gran mal being the worst, petite mal being the weakest. There is one where no siezing of the body is presented, only a loss of conciousness. I have been controlled by medication for over 25 years. I live a normal life, just like anyone else, and function well in my job.

You would not support someone like me joining your agency, Nite?

------------------
                    Cheers.

Mick

Comment

When was your last seizure? What triggers them?

------------------
                      Niteshift-

Comment

Careful....the trigger might be asking too many questions.....

Comment

Originally posted by Niteshift:
                          When was your last seizure? What triggers them?

My last episode was 25 years ago. What triggers them is not taking my medication!

That said, I would not be in support of an epileptic pursuing a LE career if they have not been siezure free for over a decade. Ten years seems to be the "golden" time when an epileptic can expect to be seizure free for good.

Nevertheless, no one can positively predict I won't have another, however, no one can positively predict you won't either.

Seizure happen for a great many reasons, being epileptic is only one. Over-exposure to heat without properly hydrating can cause the mind to trigger a siezure, a head wound, anaphylactic shock, poisoning, and many other circumstances have all been documented.

------------------
                          Cheers.

Mick

Comment

Then I'd say 25 years is pretty evident. Just like asthma.

------------------
                            Niteshift-

Comment

I don't think that anyone has addressed the fact that Mitzi's son is forgetful of this medication (as she stated). I suppose (and hope) that it would be medically feasible to drive a car, but as uspublisher has said, he believes that he remains free of seizures because of his dilligence in taking the prescribed medication. I would be more worried about losing my license over a seizure, or even worse, hurting someone in a wreck becuause I didn't take my mediation, rather than worrying about getting detained over having it in the car.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4816 users online. 331 members and 4485 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X