• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drownings Australia's fault: lobby group

Drownings Australia's fault: lobby group

From AAP
    23oct01

THE Australian government's hardline approach to asylum seekers was to blame for the drowning of 350 boatpeople off the Indonesian coast, a refugee action group has said.

"It is a consequence of the policies of the Australian government in terms of the criminalisation of the movement of refugees," Refugee Action Collective spokesman Simon O'Neill said.

Typical wankers.

I suppose it is our fault when drug users die of overdoses because we try to enforce drug laws.

I suppose it is our fault when a young car thief fell off a cliff whilst being chased, because we try to enforce car theft laws.

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: Artie ]
    "Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open." Sir James Dewar 1842-1923

My wife heard that some are tossing their kids overboard and/or disabling their boats to force a rescue from your coast guard.

Any truth to that?

Comment

Werebear:
      Your wife is right. Check this news article.

New tactic by desperate boat people

By MARK LUDLOW
      08oct01

CHILDREN were thrown overboard by desperate asylum seekers yesterday after their boat was turned back by an Australian navy ship.

The dramatic twist in the asylum seekers crisis came after an Australian frigate was forced to fire shots above the Indonesian fishing boat as it tried to sail to Christmas Island.
      "Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open." Sir James Dewar 1842-1923

Comment

You aint gonna be able to fight it Artie. Its been decided that Australia can take in more immigrants so you WILL do it.

Did you notice that when Pakistan and the other countries surrounding Afghanistan closed their borders to refugees there wasnt a single word of condemnation. No uproar from the international community. No UN types screaming from the rooftops...Aus turns away a couple of ships and all hell breaks loose..

Funny that.

Comment

Originally posted by Artie:
          CHILDREN were thrown overboard by desperate asylum seekers
          !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is "desperate asylum seekers" another name for vermin these days?

Comment

Hey, no country has any obligation whatsoever to take in citizens of another country just because they chose to run away than to stay and fight for their nation. Just proof that Darwin was right.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Bald_dog,
              You are right. Australia has just agreed to accept the survivors on humanitarian grounds. I think the difference between Pakistan and Australia is that Australia is a signatory to some UN refugee pledge. I do not think Pakistan is a signatory to the same document.

I must admit that the present Australian Government has balls. Since it said "enough is enough", it hasn't allowed any illegal immigrants onto Australian land.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4620 users online. 257 members and 4363 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X