300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did they know?

I was reading an interesting article about things people said regarding the computer industry and what ended up happening. I thought a few were worth sharing:

I think there is a world market for about 5 computers- Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943 IBM nearly went out of business because they were so slow to get into the PC field.

ENIAC (Electronic Numerical Integrator and Computer) is equipped with 18,000 vacuum tubes and weighs 30 tons. Computers of the future may have only 1,000 vacuum tubes and perhaps weigh only 1 1/2 tons- Popular Mechanics magazine-1949 A laptop would have really boggled their minds.

What the hell is it good for?- Robert Lloyd, IBM engineer, 1968, after being shown the first microchip.

There is no reason for any individual to have a personal computer in their home- Ken Olsen, president of Digital Equipment Corp. 1977 Digital was, at the time, a giant in the computer field. Purchased by Compaq in 1998

The personal computer is a ridiculous device- Larry Ellison, founder and CEO of Oracle-1996 Ellison believed network based computers were the answer.

The network computer is the stupidest idea I've ever heard of.- Bill Gates, 1999 Two opposing views, one by a guy whose name you probably don't recognize and one by whose name you've probably cussed. Speaking of the world's richest man.........

640Kb ought to be enough memory for anybody- Bill Gates, 1981 Maker of Windows ME that absolutely needs 32Mb to run.

The computer may write better poetry than human beings, better drama, make more perceptive judgements....before the end of the century- Hermann Kahn, futurist and founder of the Hudson Institute, 1981 Right Hermann.......I feel lucky when the damn thing starts up right.

I predict the Internet will soon go supernova and in 1996 catastrophically collapse- Robert Metcalfe, founder of 3Com and inventor of the Ethernet. Guess not Bob.

We've broken the genetic code of starting successful Internet companies- Bill Gross, CEO of idealab!, 1997 idealab! launched some of the biggest internet flops, including eToys.

I don't believe there is anything after the Internet. It's the last big paradigm shift- Larry Ellison again, 1998 With his track record......

Just remember this quote though:

Everything that can be invented has been invented- Charles Duell, commissioner of the US Office of Patents, 1899

------------------
    Niteshift-
    Where am I to go now that I've gone too far.

[This message has been edited by Niteshift (edited 06-28-2001).]

:lol

"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt"

Don't know the exact quote but it falls along those lines...

Comment

"Even a fool is thought wise if he keeps silent, and discerning if he holds his tongue." Proverbs 17:28 (NIV)
      Paul

Comment

"Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact."
        George Elliot, Impressions of Theophrastus Such

"If everbuddy thought before they spoke ther' wouldn' be enough noise in this world t' scare a jaybird."
        Ken Hubbard Abe Martin's Almanack 1908

"Nellie"
        When you meet someone better than yourself, turn your thoughts to becoming his equal. When you meet someone not as good as you are, look within and examine yourself....

Comment

Originally posted by Niteshift:
          ...Everything that can be invented has been invented- Charles Duell, commissioner of the US Office of Patents, 1899
          I've read in different places a statistic that said something to the effect of: 80%-90% of everything ever invented by humans has been invented in the last 100 years.

In other words, humans are becoming more intelligent and more inventive at an exponential rate. Just imagine where we'll be 100+ years from now.

------------------
          1*
          Take Care and STAY SAFE!!!

[This message has been edited by TennDECA (edited 06-28-2001).]
          1*
          Take Care and STAY SAFE!!!

Comment

Speaking of computers...

"During my time in congress, I took the initiative in inventing the internet"

-Al Gore

Comment

LOL Patrick

Comment

TennDECA:
                Just imagine where we'll be 100+ years from now.

I don't know about anybody else, but I'll be dead!

------------------
                We are the Police! Resistance is Futile!
                "Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open." Sir James Dewar 1842-1923

Comment

I think Ellison might end up being partially right, and Gates better "get a clue GUS!"

The future will be home networks. You'll have a server on your main PC at home as well as worksations like small laptops in the kitchen, the living room. You'll be able to unplug them and go using them like notebook computers. You can log in to your own hompage from anywhere and download/upload files. Sync it with your work PC. and your PDA.

Got a screen in the kitchen for recipes, ordering groceries, watching your favorite cooking show while you cook.

------------------
                  -Sparky
                  -Sparky

Comment

Originally posted by Neltja:
                    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordy evidence of the fact."
                    George Elliot, Impressions of Theophrastus Such
                    "Nellie"
                    Well now, I don't know about Georgie boy, but it ain't never stopped me! [img]http://www.angelfire.com/j***/hh300/standup.gif[/img]

------------------
                    I used to have an open mind - but my brains kept falling out.

6P1 (retired)
                    6P1 (retired)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3231 users online. 133 members and 3098 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X