Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suburban adrenaline junkies need not apply...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suburban adrenaline junkies need not apply...

http://www.freep.com/news/locway/cops15e_20040915.htm

"...the department would promote the public service aspect of police work."

"If many more officers leave the department, the city could lose tens of millions it receives annually from a utility tax on Detroiters tied to police staffing levels."

"...a first-year officer makes about $29,000 while the average first-year salary of a suburban police officer is about $41,000."

"Detroit officers also face more danger than their suburban counterparts..."

Gee, I wonder why they have problems recruiting! You would think they'd spend what money they have on fixing the above problems to attract applicants, not on an advertising campaign. Departments like these are the reason why I never understand people who say, "Just apply everywhere, and take the first offer you get."
    Sometimes I look at a person, and I just think, 'That person, right there, is the lowest common denominator.'

Comment

They don't have problems recruiting. They just have problems recruiting the right race. I can't believe more members of the wrong race don't sue.

Then again, I think they're right with the "suburban adrenaline junky" reasoning. Why else would a white guy from the suburbs want to work there if not for the action? To "help people"? Please. Virtually the whole city administration has, for all intents and purposes said; "white people are not welcome". They even voted to promote black-owned business at the expense of all other minorities. They've also said they'd limit "immigration" into the city to black people if they could. Why would you want to work in an environment like that if you were a white male from the suburbs? Only two reasons I can think of. Either you're a suburban adrenaline junky, or you want to get into the academy, get certified, and get out of Dodge for a better job. Either way, you're of no use to them, and they've let you know exactly that.

http://www.freep.com/news/locway/det...e_20040921.htm

Detroit council OKs plan that touts racial separation

September 21, 2004

BY MARISOL BELLO
      FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER

A majority of the Detroit City Council wants to implement an economic development plan it commissioned for $112,000 that preaches racial isolation and rails against immigration in its bid to gain economic success for poor blacks.

The crux of the plan is the creation of a business district -- dubbed African Town -- that would be funded in part with city money and made up of black-owned businesses catering to a black clientele.

The report also complains that immigrants from Mexico, Asia and the Middle East are stealing resources, jobs and other opportunities from blacks and calls on city leaders to stop the economic shift.
      Last edited by Frank Booth; 09-21-2004, 03:40 PM.

Comment

HMMMMMMMM Take the lower paying higher chance of getting injured job ?? ORRRRRRR The higer paying less riskey job ?? Let me get back to you on that one.
        "If there must be trouble let it be in my day,that my child may have peace."
        Thomas Paine

Comment

For that lousy pay, compared with the danger and BS you face as a cop in Detroit, that city better not think they have the right to be picky!

The aspect of a Private Security firm getting control of the Police Department, and transforming a slain officer into a cyborg may just end up to be a reality.
          Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Booth
            Then again, I think they're right with the "suburban adrenaline junky" reasoning. Why else would a white guy from the suburbs want to work there if not for the action? To "help people"? Please.
            You don't think there are many black guys who work here for the adrenaline rush? I can't think of many people who go into this line of work to truly "help people", most either go into it for a decent pay check as opposed to working at a restaurant for the rest of their lives, or they are "adrenaline junkies" and want to chase and lock up the bad guy. Wait a second....isn't that what the police are supposed to do in the first place?

Comment

You don't think there are many black guys who work here for the adrenaline rush?
              Sure there are, but they're not white. After all, you didn't think they meant "suburban" when they said "suburban", did you???? "Suburban" is as much a euphamism in some circles as "Democrat" is in others. The town is 85% black and they've said they'll take your money but they really don't want you there. If you feel like you have to stay there, you'll just have to learn to live with working for an administration that has made it plain that you're not wanted. You're not going to change anything, so you may as well play the game. Get a Master's degree and ingratiate yourself to as many educated African American supervisors on their way up as you can. If you make yourself indespensible enough, they might even promote you, as long as you're smart enough to take some of their friends with you.
              Last edited by Frank Booth; 09-22-2004, 02:52 PM.

Comment

You're not going to change anything, so you may as well play the game. Get a Master's degree and ingratiate yourself to as many educated African American supervisors on their way up as you can. If you make yourself indespensible enough, they might even promote you, as long as you're smart enough to take some of their friends with you.
                Sounds like a great career path to me. Sad but so true. Good luck on the beat JB. Stay Safe.
                Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

Oh yeah, and you better move back into the city, because if you don't, if and when you get promoted, they'll assign you to a precinct on the opposite side of town from where you live.....

Comment

Frank maybe they are trying to mirror the PD's racial makeup with the racial makeup of the community. The black officers would be more sensitive to the majority of Detroit residents. Would be an interesting experiment.

Comment

Frank maybe they are trying to mirror the PD's racial makeup with the racial makeup of the community. The black officers would be more sensitive to the majority of Detroit residents. Would be an interesting experiment.
                      At some point, between the start of affirmative action and the point where 95% of European Americans left the city, the racial ratios of cops to citizens were a lot closer to mirroring the city than they are now, or were in the 50's and 60's, and Detroit has continued on her downward spiral. I would guess the dept. is now maybe 60 or 70% African American. I don't see how getting rid of the other 30 or 40% of white officers would change anything except appearances. I believe the department command leadership is now entirely African American with the exception of a few European, Mexican and Arab Americans who got as high as they did by being sensitive to the community and knowing how to play the game. No, I don't think a 95% African American police department would have any positive effect on crime or the quality of life in the chity...I mean, city....It would be some good smoke and mirrors if you could legally pull it off in the absence of affirmative action, but they've been adjusting the mirrors and turning up the smoke for a long time to no avail. "Why, no, that was clearly not an armed robbery, that was a carjacking. And that Assault With Intent to Commit Murder was actually an Assault and Battery."

Comment

"Why, no, that was clearly not an armed robbery, that was a carjacking. And that Assault With Intent to Commit Murder was actually an Assault and Battery."
                        Very familiar with the "UCR shuffle"

Comment

I'm currently in the hiring process with this department.

I have to take all my information back into them on October 21st. I'm looking forward to it.
                          A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by Contact
                            I'm currently in the hiring process with this department.

I have to take all my information back into them on October 21st. I'm looking forward to it.
                            In my 8 years on the job, it (the job) has changed drasticly. We have a department that is so young from all the retirements, it is the blind leading the blind on the street. When I first came on, I learned from true veterans that knew how to be cops. Most of these veterans have since retired and now all you have is a bunch of people with less than two years on the job riding in scout cars together. There is very little good police work going on anymore at the precinct level because there is nobody around to teach the "rookies" how to do it. Not to mention the fact that we are now under a federal consent decree and we always have "big brother" watching us. There are so many officers out there who are second guessing themselves and that are afraid to do their jobs because they don't want to be the latest to be indicted by the fbi. My advice to you is to stay 2-3 years and get the hell out and make more money where you are actually appreciated and not just a number.

Comment

Originally posted by JB2245
                              When I first came on, I learned from true veterans that knew how to be cops. Most of these veterans have since retired and now all you have is a bunch of people with less than two years on the job riding in scout cars together.
                              That's what happened on my dept in the 80's. We lost so many people to retirement that there were few to train all the new hires. As a consequence, we had people with 2 years on being FTO's. I was reminded of a juvenile gang where there are no adults to set the limits. I started seeing horrible police work being done. The chief put cell phones in the cars, but had to take them out because of the excessive bills. These kids were spending their shifts chatting with each other on their city phones.

I investigated one case where a kid was threatened with a gun. The cop put in his report that he interviewed the suspect, but made no mention of looking for the weapon. I got a hold of the officer and he told me he interviewed the suspect over the phone! He didn't even try to contact him in person.

But that's just one example. As a whole, most of these guys became nothing more than call takers (read secretaries) and ticket writers. The only reason is they didn't have anyone to teach them what being a cop was really all about. I still cringe now and then at some of the things I read in the paper about what they do.
                              "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9666 users online. 451 members and 9215 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X