300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I going to hell?

Here's the deal. It's that time of year, when it seems like every kid's school, organization, church and association is doing their annual fundraising efforts. I'm just as guilty, my kids are selling magazines for the school, discount cards for band and popcorn for Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts. And I don't blame them -- charitable donations are down, school budgets are tight and everyone has to look a little harder for money.

That being said, I'm tired of getting hit up at work by my co-workers who are selling stuff for their kids. In the last week, I've been approached to buy chocolates, popcorn (other people's kids are Scouts too), wrapping paper/greeting cards and donations for a golf-a-thon.

Strangely enough, I don't mind being asked and I will often give, even if it hurts a little,...as long as the kid/participant is doing the asking.

Maybe it's just the salesperson in me, but I think it sends a bad signal to kids that mom or dad will take their sheet into work and it magically comes back with a couple of hundred dollars in sales on it. I believe the kids need to see the rewards of hard work and effort. If they want to belong to an organization and that organization needs them to do some fundraising, they should be out there pounding the pavement to make it happen. If my kids want to get the sales out of my co-workers, I bring them in and they ask themselves.

Besides, it's a lot harder saying no to a cute 7-year-old in a blue and gold uniform than to his balding dad.

I'm sure I can't be alone in feeling this way. Or am I just turning into a curmudgeon already in my 30's?
    Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

No. You're right, IMO. I finally got rude enough that people quit asking me. My kids sold stuff too and I didn't mind driving them around to sell it, but I didn't take it to work. Not only does it give the wrong message to the kids, I've seen some of the worst violaters refuse to buy things from others who were selling their kid's merchandise.

Personally, I didn't like it when they brought their kids to work to sell either. That being said, the only things I DON'T buy from kids selling door to door in my neighborhood are magazine subscriptions. I'm a sucker for anything else they peddle.
    Last edited by retdetsgt; 09-20-2004, 06:01 PM.
    "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

If you're going to hell than so am I. Kids need to learn responsibility. Asking their parents if they could take the forms to work with them and sell to their coworkers is not "responsibility".

Comment

Im with you guys on this one.My kids are peddling stuff for school too,But Im not doing it for them sure Ill walk the neighborhood with the little one but she has to do the selling.
        "If there must be trouble let it be in my day,that my child may have peace."
        Thomas Paine

Comment

Kirch, I know exactly what you mean. I rarely ever answer my phone and I never answer my door, so I can avoid a lot of it that way. As for people at work wanting to peddle their kid's goods on me, I just say no. Sorry, but I'm not paying premium prices for stale popcorn, candles that stink and 4 square feet of wrapping paper for $12.00. I don't solicit anything and I don't want to be solicited to.

Edited to add.........

You men don't have to worry about this, but the ladies here will understand. Another thing I can't stand is people inviting me to their Home Interior, Pampered Chef, Tupperware parties, etc. I refuse to participate in them anymore. I find it rude and presumptuous to invite someone to a "party" in which they have to spend money on something they don't really want or need. Many of the people who invite you to those things are people who would never bother to call you up for a friendly chat or drop by for a visit, yet they expect you to come to their house and spend money so they can receive free stuff. No thanks.
          Last edited by 156; 09-20-2004, 07:42 PM.

Comment

You know, I'll admit I'm a sucker when it comes to Girl Scouts selling stuff, as well as the Boy Scouts. I'll buy from them. But when it comes to the school stuff... well... I contribute through taxes for that. I know, I know, there's not enough funding, etc... but it's not like I haven't contributed already.

As far as parents selling stuff for their kids? Forget it!!

And those stupid Tupperware / Home Interior / etc... parties get on my nerves. The last thing I want to do on my day off is go hang out with a bunch of women that I barely know and feel like I'm expected to buy something that I have zero interest in. I quit going to those things years ago. I'd rather be out shooting. Or skiing. Or boating. Or WHATEVER!
            All warm and fuzzy.... 'til the claws come out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitten
              You know, I'll admit I'm a sucker when it comes to Girl Scouts selling stuff, as well as the Boy Scouts. I'll buy from them. But when it comes to the school stuff... well... I contribute through taxes for that. I know, I know, there's not enough funding, etc... but it's not like I haven't contributed already.

Personally, I think it sucks that the schools don't have enough money to fund a lot of the things kids want to do. It ****es me off when people complain about school taxes when teachers don't make nearly enough for the education required and they have such an important influence on the next generation. But we're a society that wants something for nothing, I guess
              "Life's tough, it's tougher if you're stupid." John Wayne

Comment

You know, I'm a sucker for sales pitches period...And not just from kids, either...

Why, just the other day, there I was driving down Colfax Ave. in Denver, when this young lady came up to my car window and started idle conversation. It was a hot day so she just wearing a swimsuit type thing. Well, and high heels (shrug). Anywho she asked for a ride and being the chivalric guy I am I let her in. Then, well, it's kind of embarrassing, I didn't really understand what she said, but it she needed money for massage school because she could only get loans for half and half she had to get on her own.

Anywho, I am a sucker for someone who is ambitious and trying to better themselves so I contributed $100.00. She was very thankful.. She kept hugging me and hugging me, and, well one thing led to another and, well, let's just say she was very fond of me. Then she asked to be dropped off right where I picked her up, which I thought was odd, but anywho...So she got out, and it was weird because her financial aid representative was right there, she called him Mr. Flyguy, or something, and she gave him the money. They must've been pushing a deadline or something.

So, I know exactly what you guys mean...
                And lo, as I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
                I shall ask myself,
                "This is the f*cking Valley of the Shadow of Death! What the f*ck am I doing in the f*cking Valley of the Shadow of Death?!?!"

Comment

Am I going to hell?

Nope, rejection is part of life.

If you can slam a door in a childs face, you can do anything.

Just kidding, I usually buy a bunch of useless crap myself.
                  A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

We never tell kids at the door NO and parents at work seldom if ever no either even if we know that the item we are getting is not worth a dollar let alone the $5 or more we are paying for it.

Reason ouur daughter "sold" stuff when she was a kid and we know how tough it can be as parents to "help" kids. Schools and other groups count on the parents and other relatives to "help"

One yera I took a order form or two or three to work and not only within the offices of our agency but all through three county buildings I passed the form around. I had to take one of my days off and even more time to get the "stuff" delivered.

Her prize for selling the most was a inexpensive by todays standards boom box. I told my wife that the next year we would just see what the prize was and buy her one to save me all the work and headache.

Maybe I would have been sent straight to hell if I had pulled that trick.

Comment

SaNdMaN, that was cute!

Comment

I always sold my girlscout cookies on my own. My mom would walk with me, but I had to approach the door on my own and give my selling speech. She was just there to make sure freaks did not hurt me...never said a word. She and dad did buy a lot too, though.

My brothers always call for their kids when its time to sell stuff......I always remind them that a learning experience is being missed for them by letting "Daddy do the dirty work"...but always buy stuff. My other nephews on hubbies side sell magazines, but the organization the school uses has pre-printed letters, so I just get that in the mail asking me to help the school. I mean, come on.....they even send a pre-printed thank you that you send along with your order and it is sent back to you after awhile....a real sincere thank you, huh. The kids dont even have to do anything.......

As far as Girl Scouts go, I always buy cookies. I was a Girl Scout long ago...most of them are set up by grocery stores, churches, or are friends of neighbors. I usually look for the cookies during the season....devotion to a wonderful organization.

Comment

Well with a sign at the end of the driveway that says "Trespassers Shot, Survivors Shot Again" we don't get anybody brave enough to try and sell us anything. Ever see "Secondhand Lions"? That's me on my front porch. Not many Scouts...
                          I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Comment

Originally posted by retdetsgt
                            Personally, I think it sucks that the schools don't have enough money to fund a lot of the things kids want to do. It ****es me off when people complain about school taxes when teachers don't make nearly enough for the education required and they have such an important influence on the next generation. But we're a society that wants something for nothing, I guess
                            I agree. Let me clarify: With the amount of money I pay in, I wish that schools received more of it. I also wish law enforcement received more of it. It seems to me a large amount of what I pay in is apportioned to things that I personally don't particularly find beneficial in the long run. In the interest of NOT turning this into a political debate I'm not going to list those things. The point being that what's left over in my paycheck has to be budgeted carefully... I can see sparing a couple of bucks for the boy and girl scouts... but I'm hesitant to give more to a function that I've already 'given' to, directly or indirectly.

Now... someone's going to tell me that the boy and girl scouts DO receive federal funding and I'm gonna' have to give up my girl scout cookie addiction. *sigh*
                            All warm and fuzzy.... 'til the claws come out.

Comment

WHILE we are on this topic How about the small size of the girl scout cookies compared to 5 yrs ago.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4905 users online. 308 members and 4597 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X