Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the tale of a Rookie's first stop...

so.

I'm getting a little comfortable with this thing. You know, vest, gun, sedan (o.k., so the sedan is now higher on the "pain in my backside" list than the vest...)

So tonight FTO turns me loose. We set up radar on a nice little 35 mph zone that everyone trucks through around 50. I'm generous... (hah!) I won't stop for any less than 12 over. We're chatting about search and seizure laws, vehicle search incident to arrest, etc....

When *my* stop comes over the crest of the horizon... "50" I guess... 51 reads the radar.

This is IT. MY first stop of my own, not FTO's, not 'turn on that one, stop that one.' MINE, all MINE.

I call it in--there are like FIFTY things to do, seatbelt (note to self, don't get it stuck on gun) lights, take down lights, spotlight, radio in to dispatch, try to read the plate, angle the cruiser just *so*, turn wheels... phew... we're stopped.

Do the quiet door thing. Approach cautiously, back windows are all steamy (it's been sneet & frizzle up here all night). Do the fingerprint on the trunk thing, trunk is locked. Check. Good. Get up to the door... older guy, with Mumma in the passenger seat. Already handing me a bunch of stuff, license firmly ensconced in the wallet with some other type of id....

"Sir, do you know why I stopped you tonight?"

"Well, yes, Deputy, I do. I was going a little fast there..."

me: "So you are familiar with the area..."

Him: "Yes, it's a 35 zone... I just got in from Boston, been driving all day.... "

me: "Do you have a registration and proof of insurance Sir?"

him, getting it from Mumma: "Yes, here you go... I used to work for Municipal A, you know... do you know anyone there?"

ME: OH ****. I look down, see the surname... the surname that used to have CAPTAIN in front of it. I can't help but crack a grin. Municipal A is where I work PT and have just been waiting and yearning to get on Reserve... do I *know* Muni A? Do I KNOW ANYONE????? HAHHAHAHAHAHH!!!!!

I walk behind the vehicle with my FTO. "Do you *know* who I stopped?" I'm laughing now, part embarassed, part sheer incredulity... "Captain so-n-so... MUNI A."

FTO laughs. I hand back wallet (with LE ID DOH!) and stuff...

me: Thank you Sir, you're all set. Have a nice night Sir... slow it down just a bit and get home safely..."

Him, chuckling: "Thanks, you did a good job."

LOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!! This is just tooooooo funny.

Later training Sgt says, "I didn't hear you *run* his license?"

Me: "I'm NEW, not STUPID."

Of course, I fessed up to Muni A C.O. the moment we got back in for paperwork. MUCH better to fess up than be caught... Of course, Muni C.O. says he'll be sure the story goes that I WROTE Captain so-and-so...

*Most* ironic part is this guy is a friend of a friend of my FATHER'S, 4.5 hours South of here. Dad retired a Reserve Lt. in the town I grew up in. Not too long ago says, "Hay, do you know the name so-and-so?" Me... nope, never heard of him. Before my time...

well, ya know, NOW I've heard of him.

Dontcha LOVE being a rookie??? [Wink]

My nephew is a rookie in Florida. His sister and brother-in-law are police officers there also but one is with the Sherifs dept, the other with others with the city department. I CAN'T WAIT to hear the stories his sister may tell on him. I've already e-mailed her to tell her to remember if he tells her any. John, the rookie cop, I used to give noogies on his head when he was five.
    I called him to congratulate the rookie, 6'2 now and you know what he said? "I'm most afraid of seeing you." LOL! They all love their Aunt Mitzi.

Comment

Haven't talked to you lately. Can I have a Noogie
      Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by deputy37:
        Do the fingerprint on the trunk thing, trunk is locked. Check. Good.

huh? Why do you guys do that?
        Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by Fastie:
          quote:

never done it, but i know why. i guess i never developed the habit; plus i wear gloves quite a bit. my stop goes like this.

get behind them
          call out
          turn on lights
          watch for traffic
          wait for them to decide where they want to pull over
          watch for traffic
          stop in the worst place possible
          watch for traffic
          get out
          watch for traffic
          go to passenger door
          watch for traffic
          get information
          watch for traffic
          give reason for stop
          watch for traffic
          return to passenger side of my vehicle
          watch for traffic
          write citation
          watch for traffic
          return to car
          watch for traffic
          obtain signature
          watch for traffic
          give back info
          watch for traffic
          return to vehicle
          watch for traffic
          turn off lights
          watch for traffic
          get back on the road.

i have this thing about getting run over.

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by Fastie:
            quote:

There's bunch of reasons it's done.

Make sure the trunk is shut and locked, safety thing. Leave fingerprints on trunk if something goes terribly wrong (physical evidence that I was with this particular car). Reminder that things can go wrong REAL fast on routine traffic stops. Stopping at the trunk for just a second, reminds you to pause for just a second to scan car.

"Printing" the trunk is something which will likely never be needed in an investigation. I doubt I'll ever see an unlocked trunk. License plates are typically called out prior to getting out of the car, but mistakes happen. I do like the ritualistic part of it...it's a quick reminder to be alert. I do it on every stop.
            press hard please,...four copies

Comment

The fingerprint thing is cool. Most deputies I know check the truck to make sure nobody's waiting to jump outta there, but I never thought about the fingerprint left behind.

But I'm confused as to how anyone can think stopping for 12 over is generous.

Mike
              "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!" -- Captain Lance Murdoch, The Simpsons

Comment

hmm... you mean 12 over is too little? Or too much?

Most of the time on these back roads, low population, with sparse traffic, you give 'em 8-10, and they usually slow down when they see you... if they *don't* slow down, then we'll usually stop them too.

But... there's this fine line between pleasing the constituents (traffic detail, visibility, etc.) and ****ing them off. (writing them.)

The way our statutes are written, it's the same fine for 14-29 over too--unless stuff like school, buisiness or residential zones... so we *normally* don't write for less than 15 over.

Interesting, though. Both depts I work with give you about 10 mph leeway... is this not the norm?

Comment

I check the trunk also upon approaching a car. The fingerprint on the trunk is good thing to do, i usually make a hand print almost.
                  Jeremy
                  SCSD
                  You dont have to like us, or like what we do, but when you need us, we will help you to the best of our abilites. Its just part of it.
                  www.scottcosheriff.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4739 users online. 336 members and 4403 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X