X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uspublisher
    replied
    Originally posted by mac90:
    No Dear, it means that in my opinion many people who go to college, since many colleges are bastions of the left, that some people hiring them may want to hire those types for that reason, and that those 'programmed' that way, are more likely to believe unconstitutional bullsh*t.
    So you don't plan on sending you kids to college, then?

------------------
    Cheers.

Mick

Leave a comment:

• copitsweet
    replied
    A few observations.

I have worked as a patrol officer and detective for 9 years, Academy lecturer and program development - 4 years, Policy development - 4 years, District On-road supervisor, Regional Duty Officer and District Inspector - 4 years - all in the preceeding order. Along the way, I also got a Certficate in Police Studies and a Bachelor's degree (all up 11 years).

So, having worked my way over 20 years through all of the ranks and in most of the areas in policing to the point where I'm now one of the bosses, I guess I'd like to make a considered statement.

A University degree doesn't make you any smarter, it won't necessarily improve your knowledge in any relevant way, it won't make you a better cop, and it probably won't make you a better boss.

On the other hand - it won't make you any worse in any of the above areas either.

It won't necessarily change your opinion on anything.

A University degree will give you the ability to research information, develop structured and balanced discussions, write logically, concisely and clearly and generally improve your allround marketability when going for jobs or promotion.

The moral is - if you put in the extra work and get higher education, you will probably get a better than base level job. If you don't go the extra yards, you probably won't.

Getting a degree didn't change my opinion on gun control. In every other way, I'm probably pretty conservative. But then again in this country, it was the conservative government that increased the gun control. In this country, it is the loonie, right-wing, ultra-nationalists who want everyone to have a gun.

------------------
    !copitsweet!
    There is no sense common to us all

Leave a comment:

• JKT
    replied
    Originally posted by Neltja:
    "I have worked for the other type, too, that wouldn't listen to anything the troops had to say. They knew everything, just ask them!"
    Jack,
    I know exactly what you mean. The powers that be at the University think they know all about art, in reality, they know very little. Very frustrating to this Assistant Prof.!
    Nell
    Nell,
    I could probably write a book about that type, but everyone here probably could, too. Worked for two of them (same dept) for 4 1/2 years. That was a fun time.

------------------
    Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]

Leave a comment:

• mac90
    replied

Heading out but couldn't let this go unresponded.....

IN YOUR DREAMS BUD!!! [/B]
    You know you want me! Worship me! WORSHIP ME!

Leave a comment:

• Neltja
    replied
    "I have worked for the other type, too, that wouldn't listen to anything the troops had to say. They knew everything, just ask them!"

Jack,

I know exactly what you mean. The powers that be at the University think they know all about art, in reality, they know very little. Very frustrating to this Assistant Prof.!

Nell

[This message has been edited by Neltja (edited 06-28-2001).]

Leave a comment:

• wonderwoman
    replied
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by mac90:
    WW, that's MR. MOOSE to you

Heading out but couldn't let this go unresponded.....

IN YOUR DREAMS BUD!!!

Leave a comment:

• goodgirl
    replied
    I have plenty to say....just can't think of anything that won't get me in trouble

Leave a comment:

• mac90
    replied
    GG are you trying to say you don't have anything to say? Could you expand upon that please?

Leave a comment:

• goodgirl
    replied
    No comment

------------------
    "It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."-Voltaire

Leave a comment:

• Don
    replied
    mac,

I'd be willing to bet GG knew exactly what you meant. She just likes to argue!

------------------
    I used to have an open mind - but my brains kept falling out.

6P1 (retired)

[This message has been edited by Don (edited 06-28-2001).]

Leave a comment:

• mac90
    replied
    Goodgirl, i'm not making you understand. I do not say it is bad to be educated. I say that since many institutions of higher learning are filled with leftist ideas and disdain for some of what America stands for, and that many upper management people are hired because they, have been 'educated' in these environments, are more likely to go along with political correctness.

WW, that's MR. MOOSE to you...

[This message has been edited by mac90 (edited 06-28-2001).]

Leave a comment:

• JKT
    replied
    While not all admin types are pains in the rear , there are those that are. Our department-level adminstrators sometimes try to set policy without hearing the whole story, but are willing to listen, most of the time.

I have worked for the other type, too, that wouldn't listen to anything the troops had to say. They knew everything, just ask them!

By the same token, a lot of the troops have never tried to maintain and manage a multi-million dollar budget, and don't realize the headaches involved. I was guilty of this until I received my current assignment several years ago. My supervisor controls the budget for our detention division, and I get to see first-hand how difficult it can be. Especially toward the end of the fiscal year.

------------------
    Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]

[This message has been edited by JKT (edited 06-28-2001).]

Leave a comment:

• goodside
    replied
    OOOOhhhhhh Chief.

Leave a comment:

• Sotex
    replied
    Heck, none taken. I'm the only full time PO in this town, so I'm the chief by default! Also, I've worked under and with(and against!) the people you ARE refering to, and know full well what you meant.

------------------
    God, I love my job!-Porthos

Leave a comment:

• wonderwoman
    replied
    Okay Moose, want to see an article that will make you mad?

On second thought why would I want to make you mad eh?

Back to education.... I am a strong advocate against unnecessary credentialism. I feel this leaves out alot of good potential applicants, especially those who can't afford continuing education or aren't in a position to continue their education.

In our system if the job doesn't require a degree to perform the essential duties of the position then you don't get any bonus marks for having more degrees then the next person. However, this does not mean that employers don't like to hear that you are continuing to learn in some manner.

[This message has been edited by wonderwoman (edited 06-27-2001).]

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2627 users online. 155 members and 2472 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X