300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State contract decision may spark police exodus

Man - this would SUCK! How would you feel if you get a raise - then a year later - you have to give it back. I think Police services in this city will go downhill.

State contract decision may spark police exodus
    The Associated Press
    GRAND ISLAND NE -- The city could be facing a crisis in its police department if the Nebraska Supreme Court lets stand an employment contract that not only lowers officers' pay and benefits, but could require them to repay raises they received last year.

Thirty-five of Grand Island's 71 police officers already have applied for jobs elsewhere, The Grand Island Independent reported in its Sunday editions.

The threatened exodus comes after the state's Commission on Industrial Relations recently ordered a new contract for Grand Island police that resulted in 17 officers and one sergeant taking direct pay cuts, higher out-of-pocket health care coverage costs for officers and their families, and a new pay scale that takes longer to climb.

``We could see 20 to 30 officers and their families leave Grand Island,'' Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 24 President Jarret Daugherty said.

The Commission on Industrial Relations sets so-called comparability standards by comparing wages paid in Nebraska communities to those paid in other communities of similar size and service rates for similar work.

The commission's order for Grand Island police came this year after the police union and city of Grand Island were unable to negotiate terms of new police contract.

The police union had lobbied to have Grand Island's law enforcement salaries and benefits compared to those in communities such as Bellevue and the Iowa cities of Ames, Fort Dodge, and Council Bluffs. But the commission instead compared Grand Island police -- who serve a city of about 43,000 -- to police in Fremont, Hastings, Kearney, North Platte and Norfolk, ordering Grand Island's salary and benefits to be set at the midpoint of the salary and benefits in those towns.

Not only did that lower pay and benefits for Grand Island police, the new contract is retroactive to last year, meaning salary raises paid out to police last year were declared void.

Grand Island Human Resources director Brenda Sutherland said the city is now busy calculating the pay and benefits officers received in 2001 that the commission deemed they weren't entitled to. She intends to present that amount to the city council in November.

It could mean officers being asked to pay back the city.

``If they tell me I owe them money for last year, I'm gone,'' Daugherty said. ``I'll pay with a legal battle, but I'm gone, and I think a large number feel that way.''

Right.. and I bet the mayor and city council all got fat raises the year before.. So typical.
    No partner is worth your tears -
    the one that is won't make you cry. - Anonymous

<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Form.SortOrder=UserName&Start=1&Artist= Raychel&ByArtist=Yes" target="_blank">My Photo Gallery</a>

Comment

quote:
      Originally posted by RachelR:
      Right.. and I bet the mayor and city council all got fat raises the year before.. So typical.

do you mean sorta mean like how congress does it in the deep dark of the night? you go to bed and the next morning wake up and your representatives are suddenly 10% richer. gee...i wish I could do that!!!
      I'll post, You argue.

Comment

Ya Nick, and not only that, they don't have to pay income tax and get a very nice pension for life even if they serve only a few years! also they run up millions of dollars by having Congress foot the bill for their campaign mailing expenditures.

I hate greedy politicians who are so worried about a cops meager salary so that he can pad his own pockets a little more.
        No partner is worth your tears -
        the one that is won't make you cry. - Anonymous

<a href="http://www.renderosity.com/gallery.ez?Form.SortOrder=UserName&Start=1&Artist= Raychel&ByArtist=Yes" target="_blank">My Photo Gallery</a>

Comment

The govt doesn't give a damn about us cops, they make that obvious everyday, nationwide.
          Our staffing is horrible right now, and we only got 25 people to even meet the minimum requirements for the academy, we had 40 slots allocated for us.
          Our staffing keeps dropping, so does our morale.
          OTOH, I make good money and I am half way to retirment, so I am staying, but that won't stop me from bitchin'.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5671 users online. 368 members and 5303 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X