Collapse

Leaderboard

Collapse

Leaderboard Tablet

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reliable off-duty weapon, which do you prefer?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reliable off-duty weapon, which do you prefer?

I was looking for a nice off-duty carry gun but was torn between several different types. I really wanted something with stopping power so I wouldnt go anything less than a 9mm. So I looked at the Steyr .40, Smith&Wesson .40, Baby Eagle 9mm, CZ .40, and a Colt 1911. Well, I went with the Colt 1911 because of it's reputation. I have heard nothing but good things about it.

What kind of firarms do you guys carry off-duty? I am happy with what I bought but I want to see what everyone else carries....thanks!
    "Americans sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Glock 23

Comment

Glock 27
      Two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.

Comment

SAME AS DUTY WEAPON

You should carry off duty the same weapon you carry on duty in a comfortable accessable holster that you practice with. No exceptions. Any other weapons should be back up or home protection.

This type of activity will offer you more liabilty protection if you are involved in an off duty shooting incident. You were trained mulitple times with that weapon.

Comment

My department is pretty (very) strict about what we are able to carry off duty. If we choose to carry a revolver as a BUG, it must be a Smith & Wesson .38. If we carry a semi-auto, it must be a Glock in .40. The old timers are still able to carry what they did before the department instituted the rule, provided they have continually qualified with it since the rule's inception.

That being said, I prefer to carry my S&W 340PD (.38) when I'm off duty just because it's light and small enough to fit in my pocket.

I also have a G27 which I'll carry every now and then, but when compared to my .38, the G27 is much heavier and bulky. The 27 isn't really heavy or bulky by itself, it's just when I compare the two.

The main thing is to be confident with your off duty weapon.
          Last edited by RAUDAA; 06-30-2004, 07:05 PM.

Comment

My issue duty gun is a full size Glock 35 with a 5 1/2" barrel and 15 rd mag. Being I live and work in central Fla., the heat and humidity capital of the world, carrying something that big in shorts and a t-shirt just ain't gonna happen. Especially as I'm 5'8" and small framed. Lightweight aluminum framed snub .38 for me during hot weather, Walther P99 or SIG P225 in cooler weather. I'm also not a fan of carrying a Glock in anything other than an exterior holster. The light trigger in an IWB holster is something I try to avoid.
            "I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition."

Comment

I carry a S an W 3953 off duty and as a backup. I carry all the time, but I am looking forward to the day when I won't. Carrying off duty is a pain, but I think it is the right thing to do.

Comment

Glock 33 .357 Sig

small, reliable, nasty ballistics, Speer gold dots.

-web
                "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

glock 23
                  "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called Sons of God - Matthew 5:9

Comment

Glock 22, Beretta 380 and a Beretta 21a

Comment

Ever notice it's the rookies that are interested in off duty carry etc. It seems that the newer to this the more likely the leo wants to be a cop 24/7. They need to relax and not woory about the badge & gun stuff all the time. They'll live longer and have less stress.

Not to say it isn't okay to carry off duty but get atrue feeling about what "off duty" is and relax and be normal and enjoy life. That way we loose fewer young officers to stress realted illnesses.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodie
                        Ever notice it's the rookies that are interested in off duty carry etc. It seems that the newer to this the more likely the leo wants to be a cop 24/7. They need to relax and not woory about the badge & gun stuff all the time. They'll live longer and have less stress.

Not to say it isn't okay to carry off duty but get atrue feeling about what "off duty" is and relax and be normal and enjoy life. That way we loose fewer young officers to stress realted illnesses.
                        Bodie, I hope you don't mind me throwing my .02 in here.
                        I do know a few cops that were the gung-ho, "I-Carry-5-extra-clips-at-all-times-because-you-just-never-know" types, but x19delta isn't coming across as that sort of person, just seems like he's seeing what worked for other officers and what didn't.

The true rookies keep their off-duty weapon right under their vest, next to their handcuffs and extra magazines.
                        A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.

-GK Chesterton

Comment

Glock 27. The Glock 22 is too big for off-duty for me. Used to carry a Colt Officer's Lightweight .45, and before that a Smith 649, but liked the extra capacity and smaller compact size of the Glock 27. Perfect compromise in an off-duty gun between size, weight, shot capacity, caliber, and simplicity of use. Although......and I'm not really a "gun guy", I'm getting an off-duty holster for my Smith Model 29-2 3".............

Comment

Most of the officers in my department prefer to carry a Glock off-duty but I carry a Sig 229 in .40.

More importantly, if you are going to carry, use a holster with a retention strap. I know a guy who actually carries his burner in the small of his back with no holster. It's like he's begging to be shot in the back with his own gun.

Comment

Re: SAME AS DUTY WEAPON

Originally posted by Bodie
                              You should carry off duty the same weapon you carry on duty in a comfortable accessable holster that you practice with. No exceptions. Any other weapons should be back up or home protection.

This type of activity will offer you more liabilty protection if you are involved in an off duty shooting incident. You were trained mulitple times with that weapon.
                              Either you are liable or not. If you qualify with the weapon & follow you departments shooting policy, whether or not is is your duty weapon, you will be in good shape. Thats not to say you will not be the subject of litigation.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12386 users online. 521 members and 11865 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X