NEW Welcome Ad





No announcement yet.

Interstate Standards and Training


300x250 Mobile

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Interstate Standards and Training

    Hi all,

    Just wondering.... every state has different standards and training requirements. Will different states honor training done in other states?

    I am current in California, working as a patrol reserve... however, the training I had in the reserve academy was 384 hours... by checking the websites of other states, that many hours either meet or exceed the requirement for regular appointments.

    The few people I talk to said that California is the toughest state to become a cop in (training requirement-wise).... I just want to know if other states will honor my training or do I have to start over with learning what an "arrest" is....

  • #2
    The best advice I can give you is to contact the agency or state your interested in joining and see if they themselves honor your training and what requirements they will need you to fulfill to be instated into their division. Every state has unique laws that you will have to become familiar with to be able to the job to the best of your ability. While most probally will not have you go through a complete academy you will probally have to take a few classes on that states laws.

    Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.


    • #3
      You may want to contact IADLEST. They may be able to tell you more about a particular state.

      They also publish a reciprocity handbook.

      I would also contact the POST Commission (or it's equivalent) for whichever state that you are interested in working in. Even if a state doesn't have "official" reciprocity with another state, they will often review individual applications for officers coming in from other states.

      Hope this helps.
      The National Law Enforcement Trainers Association - Dedicated to Serving the Law Enforcement Training Professional


      • #4
        I am a reserve deputy in Texas, and have just gone through basic reserve training of 228 hours. Fixing to start intermediate, then on to advanced reserve training. When I get through intermediate and advanced, I will have 560 hours training, and be able to take the State test to become a basic certified peace officer.
        "Why is it that our children cannot read the Bible in school, yet they can in prison?"


        • #5
          From my experience, most states require you to have 1 year of full time experience before they will recognize another states certification.

          Your best bet as stated before, call what state you want to go to and find out for sure.


          • #6
            I think you will find that Ksfuzz is right. First off, if you don't have your basic post, then you may not be considered to have "anything." As was said, check with the particular area you want to go to.

            A lot (if not all) of the states have a websight that may link you to their POST information page.
            6P1 (retired)


            • #7
              Texas is FINALLY starting to gear our training toward POST standards.

              I was doing a little research in the TCLEOSE rules over the last couple of days and noticed that beginning in March, they are, at least, recognizing some POST training.

              It's about time.

              To answer the original question:

              I also agree to check with the agency you are interested in. In Tx, you can challenge the state test, and if you pass, you will still have to attend some training (penal code, etc).
              Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.


              [email protected]


              MR300x250 Tablet


              What's Going On


              There are currently 3435 users online. 212 members and 3223 guests.

              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

              Welcome Ad