300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Ticket...Pretty dang funny

Here's a long story made long- hmmm... On August 15th I passed the CO state test to become a cop (called the POST test out here). The last step of my Academy process, huzzah! On August 18th I got married. You'd think that with being so fresh from the Academy and so excited about trying to get hired, I'd be a good kid and all, but I was SO excited to get to my wedding that a Denver motorcycle cop caught me doing 70 in a 45.

Ouch. I made it to 23 years old without a ticket, but there THAT went. Well, hey, I wasn't gonna argue with the guy or bring up the POST test (that would probably make him say, "Well, you should know better, right?). I tried to be nice and smiled and said, "Hey, this'll make a pretty funny story, I'm on my way to my wedding!". His response was "License-registration-insurance". Seriously. Not "Hello", "Good afternoon" or even "Do you know how fast you were going?"

I thought, "Wow. I take like four thousand hours of Verbal Judo in the Academy and this is how it's ACTUALLY done? Jeez, I'm sorry I took all those notes in class "

Nah, he probably thought I was lying my butt off and just wanted to get out of a ticket. I only wanted the guy to laugh, feel sorry for me, and he could even still have given me the dang ticket! In all, he said less than twenty words during the entire stop. Probably figured the more he talked, the more that little jerk in the Volvo was gonna try to get out of the ticket

Of course, the Denver courts let me get by with 3 points and about $130 in fines. I even felt a little bad, pleading guilty to something LESS than what I'd done.

Anyway, the end result of the story is that when I DO get hired, and I catch a car going 25 over, and some guy says, "But dude, I'm on my way to my WEDDING!"- I might still write the ticket - but at least I'll smile and say, "Well, don't tell her until after the ceremony. Trust me on that one."
    I am disrespectful to dirt. Can you see that I am serious? - Mr. Sparkle

I thought, "Wow. I take like four thousand hours of Verbal Judo in the Academy and this is how it's ACTUALLY done? Jeez, I'm sorry I took all those notes in class "

Should have whipped a "Wooshya" on him It's like the secret code word. Remember to err is human, to forgive is against departmental policy. BTW congratulations on the academy and wedding.

[ 10-02-2001: Message edited by: Mack811 ]

Comment

Xanthorius: Congrats! on getting married. Pretty funny about the ticket, I'm sure he thought you were lying.

Comment

Congrats on the academy (I still have 29 weeks myself) and condolences on the wedding.
        "I will not use my patrol car as a desert prerunner unless in pursuit."

Comment

When I had my accident, I ran into the back of a woman who had stopped for a school buss. Technically, she didn't have to stop because of the wide median but I just wasn't paying attention. It was my fault.
          Well, to say I was upset is putting it lightly. There was an off-duty police officer a few miles back. He came running up to help me and was so kind. I couldn't stop crying and felt like a fool. But, he helped me get out of my car (the door jammed) and said, "Mam, that's why we have insurance."
          He made me feel much better. He was truly so kind to me. I appreciated it so much and told him so.....as I signed my ticket! lol!

Comment

No tickets yet. (finding some wood to knock on.) I would probably be one of those that leaves my hands on the wheel and never talks back or tries to get out of the ticket. to much learning in the past year.
            "To each his own"

Comment

Originally posted by Xanthorius:
              I tried to be nice and smiled and said, "Hey, this'll make a pretty funny story, I'm on my way to my wedding!". His response was "License-registration-insurance". Seriously. Not "Hello", "Good afternoon" or even "Do you know how fast you were going?"

"
              Ah Grasshopper...you will find, particularly with traffic stops, the more you say, the more ammunition you give them to twist to mean something entirely different when they march into internal affairs. Of course, sounds like a talkative traffic cop if he got close to Twenty words.

Comment

I am a person of few words also but your story is funny. Congratulations however not on the ticket but on your marriage. Now forget what you learned in the academy and learn the real thing on the street.
                Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4330 users online. 240 members and 4090 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X