300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good idea?

We're doing a fundraiser this year at our kids' school. The school is mostly run on donations and fundraisers. We are supposed to go around and find companies/people who would like to donate an item for auction. All proceeds go directly to the school.

Have you ever heard of arresting someone and having them put in jail? They have to get people to come and give money in order to let them out? Is this considered false arrest? I've heard of this kind of thing before, but I don't know if my husband's agency would allow it.

I am going to donate a painting of the winner's pet. I think I'll give it a value of $100

Any other ideas? Some folks who work for a local aiport actually give out a 1 hour scenic flight over the mountains!! I am not sure where the bidding starts for something like that though!!
    "It is easier for a king to have a lie believed than a beggar to spread the truth."---Robert Strecker

I've heard of the jail thing before and it went over really well. It was done where I used to work in the civilian sector and we had so many employees, it worked.

What happened is the charity (forgot now which one it was) brought their cage to the compound and set it up in a conspicuous spot. When you wanted to make a donation, you filled out an "arrest warrant" on whoever you wanted to. The "Deputies" (actually volunteers for the charity) would go to the work station and make the "arrest". That person had to call someone to bond them out.

It was a hoot for all of the employees to walk by and see not only their line supervisors, but even the owner and CEO locked up.

Comment

Here's a recent painting I did of my friend's cat. It came out nice. http://www.homestead.com/lejourbr/files/kadacat.jpg

What would you pay for it? (just to get a roundabout price I should sell something like this for)
      "It is easier for a king to have a lie believed than a beggar to spread the truth."---Robert Strecker

Comment

That is so funny! I think they should lock up the priest [Eek!] !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (My kids go to catholic school)

Comment

You want to paint someone's pet? Wouldn't that fall under animal abuse? Most dogs are too dumb to notice, but cats would spend weeks licking all the paint off... and if you thought hairballs were bad, imagine your cat leaving regurgitated paint balls all over the house. Besides, what color would you paint a pet? I can see somebody wanting their poodle touched up with some pink accents, but what are you going to do with a German Shepard? They look pretty cool as it is. And then there's those people with fish. I've never tried to paint a fish, but I can't imagine it would work out very well. You definetely couldn't use water colors.

Cheers!

Mike
          "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!" -- Captain Lance Murdoch, The Simpsons

Comment

Hardee Har Har Actually, I'd love to paint my basset hound pink. Maybe I could spray paint her! I'll have to ask the kid across the street where he gets his green hairspray from. [Eek!]

Comment

We have lots of jail-a-thons around here. In fact, too many. We just had one Friday for the MDA. Someone, usually a local celebrity, business owner, teacher, etc., gets notified that they will be "arrested" at a certain date & time & a law enforcement officer volunteering his time will make the "arrest", complete with handcuffs & posing for photos. The person is taken to a "holding facility" which can be a mock jail in the mall or a restaurant where they are "sentenced" by a "judge" & a "bail" amount set. They then have to get on a phone (can be provided by a local cell phone company as a donation) & call friends & relatives to pledge something towards their total. The problem is finding friends & relatives that someone else hasn't already put the touch on. Plus you really have to plan not to be in the office or at work for that period of time. It can be a hassle to the person "arrested". My bond was $1,500! I raised a little over $300 in an hour's time & told them that was all I could get. They let me out on "good behavior" but now I've got to go around to all these people & collect this money in the next few weeks to send it in. Our jail was at Outback & they provided all prisoners with a "last meal" so at least it was good for something.

I liked the idea about auctioning off your talent or your time, such as being hired to wash the car or the windows or something.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4176 users online. 221 members and 3955 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X