300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you could one help one person change thier life ,

If you could help one person change thier life, Who would it be and why?
    "To each his own"

People who feel a need to put philosophical questions on bulletin boards. Why is evident.

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: Pigskin ]

Comment

I don't see anything philosophical about the question, Just got this Card game and its called Conversation cards. Most of the topics on the cards were already being discussed, this one seemed new. Sorry if your having a bad day. I appologize for asking a stupid question.
      "To each his own"

Comment

My sister.

She's 18 mos younger than me. She gave up a GREAT husband, lost her business and 2 kids, all to heroin. My parents have been going crazy for the past 15 years because of her. So far, they've bailed her out of one thing after another, to the tune of $100,000+....and seen NO change in her behavior.

As a result, the pressure placed on ME...to 'atone' for my sister's screwed-up life and what she's done to my parents, has been enormous.

I haven't spoken with her in almost 3 years, even though she lives less than 30 minutes away. The last time I saw her, I was 10-22 at a local Mexican restaurant. I saw this woman I 'thought' I recognized....but wasn't quite sure. It was her. That's how much the drugs had changed her.

Imagine....NOT recognizing your own sister...
        "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
        -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

I would take away my daughter's pain and make her life normal so she can live to see adulthood.

Why? Because I love her and I would love to see her get married, have children and know a life without pain.
          <a href="http://www.indiancreeksupplies.com" target="_blank">Indian Creek Hunting Supplies</a>
          <a href="http://www.thearmedcitizen.net/forums/index.php" target="_blank">The Armed Citizen Forum (Separate forum provided for LE)</a>

Comment

Originally posted by ftrphxcop:
            I don't see anything philosophical about the question, Just got this Card game and its called Conversation cards. Most of the topics on the cards were already being discussed, this one seemed new. Sorry if your having a bad day. I appologize for asking a stupid question.
            Its not a stupid question. i was glad when i checked today's topics to see some questions like this. it's nice to use the heart, along with the head to think sometimes. and i will answer tomorrow, i have to sleep now
            "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

I am not sure who I would help. I think there are a lot of people who need help and I would be more willing to try and help more than just one person. If I had only one person I really do not know who I would help I guess the first to come across me would be the lucky person.

Klar
              Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

Originally posted by shooter1201:
                My sister.

She's 18 mos younger than me. She gave up a GREAT husband, lost her business and 2 kids, all to heroin.
                We certainly have something in common, shooter. it's not my sister, but a friend i was very close to for many years. i could tell some stories, and i'm sure you could keep right up with me. i wasnt going to answer this til tomorrow, but then i saw your post.

This is also the person's life i would change, and i have been working on it, along with him, for many years. he has made great progress, but heroin has a mind of it's own. i've seen him struggle and cry trying NOT to use it. i tried for many years to "hate the drug, not the addict," but damn that gets old too. what people dont always understand is, sometimes its not something they'll ever overcome. and not because they're weak, sometimes it's an impossible task.

i would have changed his life so he would have never tried it when he was 15. i can only imagine the successes he would have had in life...in every way.

i volunteer now between a drug clinic, HIV clinic, and soup kitchen/shelter. its good to be giving back to people who need help, and it's what i needed to do when i saw he was not going to be able to succeed in beating his addiction. altho i believe he is now clean, it's a day to day thing, and it's totally up to him. no one else can do it for him. i wish the best to your sister.
                "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

Not an out of place question at all.

But here is something to think about. You have ALREADY changed someones life, and you don't even know it. All of us have. We can't help it.

Once you get on the job, you will be doing it much more often. You may get good results, you may not. That will be up to the person whose life is changed!
                  6P1 (retired)

Comment

I like to think that I have changed someones life. I have been a Mentor for a few years now and I try to listen and help people as I go. I hope that the good I do really helps people and I hope to always be able to look at the heart of the problem and work out a solution that everyone can agree too.

Klar
                    Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

jellybean...

About 5 years ago, my dad gave her a place to live in....rent free. One winter day, he's inside checking her pipes while she's gone....calls me over.

Inside her bedroom are marijuana plants...and TONS of Methadone bottles.

When she got back, he had all her things packed....had her move out and sold the place so she couldn't come back.
                      "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
                      -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

I like to think I helped a couple of people, my grandson and his mother (my former daughter-in-law). I don't wish to go into all the details so I'll just say his mother had a problem; thereby also my grandson's problem. They lived with me for a couple of years while she got her act together.

My grandson is an adult now and in the Navy. I got an 3-mail from him when he was sent to Sicily. He said he hoped I know he loves me and wants to spend more time with the family when he gets home. He said I was there for him when his mother wasn't.

I printed out the e-mail and plan to keep it always. It means a lot to me.

Comment

"People who feel a need to put philosophical questions on bulletin boards. Why is evident."

Pigskin, this is an open forum, she can post philosophical questions all she wants. I think maybe you should apologize to the lady, she didnt deserve the reply she got from you.

"I don't see anything philosophical about the question, Just got this Card game and its called Conversation cards. Most of the topics on the cards were already being discussed, this one seemed new. Sorry if your having a bad day. I appologize for asking a stupid question."

It's not a stupid question, I am glad you posted it, dont let an ignorant comment like Pigskin's change your style of posting.

[ 02-06-2002: Message edited by: SpecOpsWarrior ]

Comment

Well, excu-u-u-s-s-s-e me. I thought I WAS answering the question.

Went to TGIFridays the other night & these type questions were on the sugar packets. How philosophical can it be if it's on sugar packets? What kind of animal would you be?

Sorry, no offense, ftrphxcop. It's the type of questions they ask beauty queens. Certainly wasn't having a bad day, just trying to be cutesy. I'll stay out of it in the future & let the rest play.

Comment

Originally posted by shooter1201:
                              jellybean...

Inside her bedroom are marijuana plants...and TONS of Methadone bottles.

When she got back, he had all her things packed....had her move out and sold the place so she couldn't come back.
                              Yeah, the methadone is real addicting too..its good if they can stay on the program tho, it can help them stay healthy. i do see alot abuse it. also, the ways they find to cheat during urine collections for drug tests is amazing.

i walked the fine line between tough love and trying to help, for alot of years. it would be harder having a relative that's an addict. i'm sure all the other family dynamics come into it.

and as far as the fact of someone becoming unrecognizable, i've seen that too. it's hard to look at old pictures of this friend back when he was using. mostly i think it's the fear that he'll end up looking like that again.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5016 users online. 313 members and 4703 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X