300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas

When you're from Texas, people that you meet ask you questions like, "Do you have any cows?" It's nice to be able to say yes. They ask you, "Do you have any horses?" Yup. "Bet you got a bunch of guns, eh?" Of course. They all want to know if you've been to Southfork. They watched Dallas.

Have you ever looked at a map of the world? Heck, yes you have. Look at Texas for me just for a second. That picture, with the Panhandle and the Gulf Coast and the Red River and the Rio Grande is as much a part of you as anything ever will be. As soon as anyone anywhere in the world looks at it, they know what it is. It's Texas. Pick any kid off the street in Japan and draw him a picture of Texas in the dirt and he'll know what it is.

What happens if I show you a picture of any other state? You'll get it maybe after a second, but who else in the world would? Even if you do, does it stir any feelings in you?

In every man, woman, and child on this little rock the Good Lord put us on, there is somewhere in them a person who wishes just once he could be a real live Texas and get up on a horse or ride in a pickup or dance at a dance hall.

Did you ever hear anyone in a bar go, "Wow...so you're from Kansas...cool. Tell me about it."?

There is some bit of Texas in everyone. Do you know why? Because Texas is Texas!

Texas is the Alamo. Texas is 183 men standing in a church, facing thousands of Mexican nationals, fighting for freedom, who had the chance to walk out and save themselves, but stayed. We send our kids to schools named William B. Travis and Bowie and do you know why? Because those men saw a line in the sand and they decided to be heroes. John Wayne paid to do the movie himself. That is Texas.

Texas is Sam Houston capturing Santa Anna at San Jacinto.
    Texas is Juneteenth and Texas Independence Day.
    Texas is huge forests of Piney Woods like the Davy Crockett National Forest.
    Texas is breathtaking mountains in Big Bend.
    Texas is shiny skyscrapers in Houston and Dallas.
    Texas is the uniqueness of Austin.
    Texas is a world record bass from places like Lake Fork.
    Texas is the best colleges around, from Houston to Lubbock and everywhere in between.
    Texas is Mexican food like no where else in the world, even Mexico.
    Texas is Lone Star beer and Shiner Bock.
    Texas is larger-than-life legends like Willie Nelson and Buddy Holly, Earl Campbell and Nolan Ryan, Denton Cooley and Michael DeBakey, Lyndon Johnson and George Bush.
    Texas is great companies like Texas Instruments, Dell Computer, and Compaq.
    Texas is huge herds of cattle and miles of crops.
    Texas is skies blackened with doves and leases full of deer.
    Texas is the best barbeque anywhere. Period.
    Texas is the nicest people you'll ever meet. Anywhere. Not to mention, the prettiest girls.
    Texas is a place where cities shut down for the Cowboys on Monday Night Football and the streets are deserted during church.
    Texas is the best music with the best musicians in the world.
    Texas is beaches, deserts, lakes and rivers, mountains, and prairies.
    If it isn't in Texas, you don't need it. No one does anything bigger or better.

By federal law, Texas is the only state in the USA that can fly its flag at the same height as the US flag. Think about that for a second. You fly the Stars and Stripes at 20 feet in Maryland, or California, or Maine, and your state flag, whatever it is, goes at 17. You fly the Stars and Stripes in front of Pine Tree High in Longview at 20 feet, the Lone Star flies at 20 feet.

Do you know why? Because we place being a Texan as high as being an American down here. Our capitol is the only one in the country that is taller than the capitol building in D.C. We signed those in as part of the deal when we came on. That's the best part right there. When we came on, Texas was its own country. The Republic of Texas.

Aren't you proud to be a Texan? You should be.

Author unknown

Texan's have the (well they USED to. . .) biggest state to live and drive and walk through. And surely they also have. . .
    THE BIGGEST HATS TO TALK THROUGH!!!!

Forgive me, but I just couldn't resist! The devil made me do it!!!

Actually, my dad was born in Texas but he hated to admit it!
    6P1 (retired)

Comment

Don just wishes he could honestly say he's from Texas.

It's ok Don. Nobody's perfect

Tex
      KD5HQD

Comment

American by birth...Texan by choice
        Walk slow, Talk low, and Don't say Too Much.

Comment

My apologies to all the other states. I know that several of them are easily recognizable worldwide (okay, just Florida & California) & many have their own landmarks, people, & histories but I just had to pass that writing on, you know, bragging a little.

I had a salesman of promotional items call & say that they now had keychains in the shape of the State Of Texas. I had to ask, "Do you have any in the shape of Wyoming?"

Comment

It figures that a texan with a EGO as big as their stupid state would post something like this. I have been to that mess of a state three times and could care less if I go back. Go ahead a cede from the United States I know it is in your consitution I have heard it said to me countless times. IF you believe that texas is the only place that has horses or cattle or people riding them then go ahead and believe that. There are all sorts of great people in this world not in just one state. The United States is famous for the equality they show to the people they represent. The United States does not go around saying this state is better than the other because we all are equal. GO ahead and live in your pipe dream for to me that it all it is and as long as texans keep this type of EGO I will stay out of that state.

Klar
            Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

I know that several of them are easily recognizable worldwide (okay, just Florida & California)...
              Yeah, we're really easy to recognize...just look for the big penis that seperates the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic.

West Virginia is also easily recognizeable...it's the one giving the rest of the States "the finger" for all of the unfair stereotypes and jokes !

Comment

Originally posted by Pigskin:

I had a salesman of promotional items call & say that they now had keychains in the shape of the State Of Texas. I had to ask, "Do you have any in the shape of Wyoming?"
                You should of asked to see the Rhode Island key chain.. it probably comes with a magnifying glass.
                " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

Somrthing fun to do is drive through the states and stop to buy a refrig magnet in the shape of the state then when you get back home you can rebuild the parts of the nation that you have visited. I am still working on visiting all 48 once again. Well make that 47.

Klar
                  Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

klar,
                    You really need to get further south than DFW. Hit some of the smaller places and I bet your attitude would change. The metro areas (IMHO) have too many transplanted people and the "flavor" just isn't there.

If you decide to come give me a holler and I'll show you around my little area. The folks are nice, there's plenty to do and the food can't be beat.
                    "Trust me. I'm from the government, I'm here to help."

Comment

LOL I have been in dallas I will admit but I have been in houston and san antonio. I have been to the east edge of texas in white oak and around the tyler area. I have driven down to the gulf of mexico not too far from gavelston or what ever that town is LOL. I got the same attitudes from the locals in all those places. The only ones that I got along with were those who were law enforecement officers. If I do ever go back to texas it will be to visit those of you who post here call texas thier home.

Klar

Comment

I know what you mean, Klar. I got a bad feeling about New Mexico just because of a run in there with some dimwit. And I have to admit that Texas has lots of people with lots of different attitudes & character so all I can do is throw the invitation out there as well. We'll try to see to it that you enjoy your stay if you ever come over this way.

And even I thought the writing was a little overboard. Other states do have horses, cows, & pickup trucks. They just don't have Texas horses, cows, & pickup trucks. There's a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Pigskin:
                          I got a bad feeling about New Mexico just because of a run in there with some dimwit.
                          I'll have to second that! NM Gestapo er highway patrol. Just write me the damn ticket, don't give me a stupid lecture. I was driving before you were born, and I'd bet that you have made an occasional mistake yourself.

Anybody that decides to give another cop a ten minute lecture for doing a roll through on a stop sign makes me wonder. Give me a ticket or not, I deserve it because I screwed up. But stuff your lecture!
                          6P1 (retired)

Comment

Texas huh? Heard any good Enron jokes lately? How 'bout them Cowboys? Does everybody get to be dragged down the street by a pick-up truck? Are we done bailing Texas out from the great oil bust yet? The Texas seven are (I mean were) great ambassadors. The Texas A&M Bonfire deaths. Who the hell cares who killed J.R.? And let's not forget the Mom (Psycho bitch from hell) who KILLED her kids in the bathtub. GO TEXAS!

Comment

Hey, Popeye...great diatribe coming from the mouth of someone whose state brought us the likes of Danny Rolling, Ted Bundy, Ailleen Wournos, Free Shoes University, Steve "got some good hang time on the visor that time" Spurrier (I can't believe I have to love HIM now!), Elian Gonzalez, Rosewood, love bugs(no, Gatorade doesn't make up for the mistake of creating that creature, UF scientists!), Palmetto bugs you can saddle up, and....

DAN F'ING MARINO!!!!

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: FLLawdog ]

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6203 users online. 348 members and 5855 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X