Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My daughter was followed home tonight.....

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:
    No...Put your thumbs in his eyes and pull something squishy out. I've been kicked in the nuts enough times to know that it hurts, but doesn't stop someone from doing what they want to.

AMEN

I teach a rape prevention class for women in our self - defense School. and one of the first things i tell them is Stick your fingers in their eyes and poke em out, YOU CANT HURT WHAT YOU CANT SEE!!
    May G-d bless you, keep you safe, and always keep you in his loving care

Comment

Wow! so far, we have a 'look of death', eye removal techniques and Shooter driving his 155mm Self-Propelled Howitzer on patrol [Eek!]

I pity da fool dat messes wit ya!

Coyote

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by Lictalon:
        quote:
        Carrying a gun everywhere I go would be cool, but I think I would prefer a society where I didn't have to carry a gun ten minutes after I turned 18!!
        That would be ideal. When we get there, I'll let you know. For now...carry something. Why end up a statistic?
        The difference being, is that Sideshow Bob, wonderwoman and I live in a country where, in general, we do not need to worry about us, or our families, having to "pack" all the time.
        #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
        Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
        RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
        Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
        "Smile" - no!

Comment

I can't even count the number of rape cases that I have worked, including a number of serial rapists.

Face it guys, rape is a concern that we just don't really have. (Although I have had several rape cases involving male victims.)

I don't want to get the women folk all skeered.. but let me share a few things that I've picked up over the years re: sexual assault.

1.) The VAST majority of rape cases are comitted by someone whom the victim KNEW and TRUSTED. e.g. boyfriend, acquaintance, friend, relative, friend-of-a-friend, friends boyfriend, etc. etc.

Avoidance and "the look of death" don't deter jack $hit when the perp is someone whom you already know and trust enough to share a car with, invite into your home, etc.

2.) Sexual Predators (Serial Rapists) are not often easily deterred. They don't pick targets based solely on opportunity. It could be that you have blonde hair, that you have a kid with you that they can use for control, that you are wearing a red skirt, the fact that you are the third women they saw on the third Tuesday of the month, they like your feet, etc.

Sexual Predators may use a ploy, a con, a blitz attack, or other methods. They may choose women with small children who are more easily controlled. They may have knives and guns. They may come alone or with friends. They may attack you in your home, at work. They come in all sizes, shapes, and appearances.

Preparation, avoidance, awareness, etc. are all good things.

But aerosoal defense weapons, panic alarms, firearms, etc. all provide OPTIONS!

Fighting back is not always the best thing to do. It depends on the rapist. For some rapists, resistance just sets them off and makes them more violent. So.. I am not saying that physical resistance is the best course of action in each and every case. But I am saying that being prepared for as many things as possible gives you those options.

If you don't prepare by getting an aerosol weapon and learning how to use it, then you CERTAINLY won't have it if you need it.

The same thing goes for firearms, panic alarms, steel storm doors, and the rest of it.

Just something to think about.

EDITED TO ADD:

Pete... don't try to get us all to believe that you don't have rapists in Canada. On behalf of all of the sexual assault victims IN Canada, I will tell you to STUFF IT!

Whether or not one needs, or does not need "to pack" is a matter of subjective opinion. But please do not attempt to assert that women in Canada are somehow less at-risk for predatroy sexual assualt merely due to geographic location. That's more than a little insulting.

[ 05-23-2003, 02:06 PM: Message edited by: Sparky ]
          -Sparky

Comment

quote:
            Pete... don't try to get us all to believe that you don't have rapists in Canada. On behalf of all of the sexual assault victims IN Canada, I will tell you to STUFF IT!

Whether or not one needs, or does not need "to pack" is a matter of subjective opinion. But please do not attempt to assert that women in Canada are somehow less at-risk for predatroy sexual assualt merely due to geographic location. That's more than a little insulting.

Sparky,

I don't think the intent was to insult anyone here. By no means does anyone from Canada believe we live in a utopia were sexual assault is non-existent. Or violence against women simply doesn't happen here; no one is that naive.

I think what Pete was saying...and correct me if I'm wrong Pete...we as Canadians just simply feel that there is not an overwhelming need to carry a firearm all the time. This is not a statement belittling the suffering of those who have been subject to these terrible crimes...it's a statement of fact that Canadians, as a whole, feel comfortable in their day to day lives, not to carry a gun.

[ 05-24-2003, 12:16 AM: Message edited by: Sideshow Bob ]

Comment

Or that there are more predators in urban environments, as opposed to rural.

Comment

edited out original post.
                Oh well, by the time this would have been read it will be monday and the post will be at the bottom. But other post here would tell me the answer is yes.

[ 05-24-2003, 07:37 PM: Message edited by: Royce ]
                Royce is a Lady

Comment

quote:
                  I think what Pete was saying...and correct me if I'm wrong Pete...we as Canadians just simply feel that there is not an overwhelming need to carry a firearm all the time. This is not a statement belittling the suffering of those who have been subject to these terrible crimes...it's a statement of fact that Canadians, as a whole, feel comfortable in their day to day lives, not to carry a gun.
                  That may be true, but the fact remains that Canadian women are not only at considerable risk for sexual assault, but are actually at HIGHER RISK than their American counterparts. A Canadian member of this forum recently posted some statistics comparing crime statistics between the two countries, and if I'm not mistaken Canada has a 2 1/2 times greater incidence of forcible rape than the US, based on those stats.

Whether or not the reluctance of the Canadian public to carry weapons of self-defense is a factor in that is debatable. But if I were a Canadian woman, those statistics combined with my inability to legally carry pepper spray, much less a firearm, would have me very concerned indeed.

Comment

Whoa Nelly!

Is this true that Canadians can't even carry defense spray?!?! Nowhere in the ENTIRE country?!?!

???
                    -Sparky

Comment

It is a well known fact that Canada and England are so safe that they don't even have police there.

Comment

quote:
                        A Canadian member of this forum recently posted some statistics comparing crime statistics between the two countries, and if I'm not mistaken Canada has a 2 1/2 times greater incidence of forcible rape than the US, based on those stats.

I would be interested in seeing these stats, as the term "rape" hasn't been used in Canada for some time.

Sexual Assault is the legal term used throughout Canada to refer to any form of sexual contact without voluntary consent. Kissing, fondling, vaginal intercourse, anal intercourse, and oral sex are all examples of sexual assault if they are done without voluntary consent.

So you see, if a person simply reports an unwanted kiss, this is classified as Sexual Assault. Sexual assault includes a wide range of unwanted contact, not just "rape". This would account for the higher stat, because Canada would keep stats on Sexual Assault as a whole, not just "rape".

I don't want to highjack this thread any longer because it carries a very important theme regarding violence against women. If anyone would like to debate "which country is safer", it can be done on another post.

[ 05-25-2003, 11:46 AM: Message edited by: Sideshow Bob ]

Comment

quote:
                          Is this true that Canadians can't even carry defense spray?!?! Nowhere in the ENTIRE country?!?!

Yep! It's true. In Canada pepper spray is considered a prohibited weapon. Although some companies get around this by selling "dog repellant" or "bear repellant" [Wink] !

quote:
                          It is a well known fact that Canada and England are so safe that they don't even have police there.

Mike, Mike, Mike, there you go again talking out of your ***!! Which is a direct result of having your head in your *** !!

Yes Mike, there are police officer in Canada...we have guns and everthing !

Comment

Sideshow Bob:
                            quote:
                            Sexual Assault is the legal term used throughout Canada to refer to any form of sexual contact without voluntary consent. Kissing, fondling, vaginal intercourse, anal intercourse, and oral sex are all examples of sexual assault if they are done without voluntary consent.

So if a drunk walks up to a woman and kisses her, gets slapped, and retreats that is treated as serious as rape in Canada? Or is rape treated as lightly as the unwanted kiss?

[ 05-25-2003, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Bill R ]
                            Bill R

Comment

quote:
                              So if a drunk walks up to a woman and kisses her, gets slapped, and retreats that is treated as serious as rape in Canada? Or is rape treated as lightly as the unwanted kiss?

It sexual assualt, it's up the Crown Attorney if he/she wants to procceed a with a Summary (less serious) or Indictable (more serious) offense.

If there is injuries, it's Aggravated Sexual Assault (indictable).

If there is a weapon, it's Sexual Assualt with a Weapon (indictable).

Comment

Bob, if it's so much safer there, what ever could be the reason to have police?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2507 users online. 133 members and 2374 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X