Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My daughter was followed home tonight.....

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:
    No offense, but what was your daughter doing without the S&W 640 in the first place?

I'm exaggerating, of course, but I have a vague idea of how you must feel. Hailey (my wife) starting carrying ten minutes after she turned 18, and for two years prior to that, she had someone around her (usually me) who was armed

Carrying a gun everywhere I go would be cool, but I think I would prefer a society where I didn't have to carry a gun ten minutes after I turned 18!!

Comment

quote:
      If she leads someone to my home, then she obviously doesn't have enough awareness and/or common sense to be carrying a weapon.
      I don't see the obvious there at all.

Comment

If my daughter knew she was being followed and let the person know where she lived, this shows lack of common sense. Lack of common sense could spell danger for a young adult carrying a weapon, that's all. And just like the issue of degree vs. non degree LE officers, I'd prefer the one with the street smarts. Street smarts are very important, particularly when you are carrying a weapon to defend yourself.

But, like I said, some people don't know that they're being followed so this doesn't always apply. Made sense to me.

[ 05-21-2003, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: Tprspouse ]
        "It is easier for a king to have a lie believed than a beggar to spread the truth."---Robert Strecker

Comment

Yeah, OK...I hope to someday have the fine observation skills and common sense that you have. Should we now test common sense before allowing someone to have a gun? Maybe there should be a question on the CCW application stating, "Have you ever let a bad guy follow you to your residence? If so, discontinue the application, as you OBVIOUSLY do not have the common sense to carry a loaded firearm."

[ 05-21-2003, 10:49 PM: Message edited by: team green ]

Comment

Several years ago, when I was still working at the Sheriff's Department (in Records), I had stopped at the store on my way to work. It was about 11:30 at night and some obvious gangbanger types were in the store. At one point, it dawned on me that one of them had a gun (I was asked later what the guy did or what I saw that made me think that but I honestly don't know, I just remember thinking to myself, "He's got a gun."). At any rate, I was followed out of the store by them and they were following me to my car. I spoke to a clerk who was just outside the door (big guy, not to be argued with) and they backed off. I went to work (sure they were following me, but knowing they'd get a big surprise when I got to my destination) and reported it immediately to the watch sergeant on my shift. I have never been so frightened in all my life. I never went to the store late at night after that, and I also started carrying pepper spray (I'm one of those folks who should NOT carry a gun...trust me on this ).

[ 05-22-2003, 12:15 AM: Message edited by: auntysuz63 ]
            "Americans don't want a mentally unstable president; he might start a war or something." - Bill Maher

Comment

quote:
              Carrying a gun everywhere I go would be cool, but I think I would prefer a society where I didn't have to carry a gun ten minutes after I turned 18!!
              That would be ideal. When we get there, I'll let you know. For now...carry something. Why end up a statistic?

quote:
              If she leads someone to my home, then she obviously doesn't have enough awareness and/or common sense to be carrying a weapon.
              quote:
              I don't see the obvious there at all.

I concur. Given the circumstances (home is miles away from the nearest police station, Mom is carrying a weapon, and Dad's a cop and waiting at home with a surefire and a howitzer (this is Shooter after all...)) I think she did good.
              I haven't felt this good since we stole the 2000 elections!--Ned Flanders

Comment

Sounds like she lead them right to the place that was most hazardous to their health to me.
                "Integrity is like virginity. Once it's lost, you can't get it back." --drunkhunter

Comment

I once had a guy follow me into my subdivision and I let him on a long ride til I got fed up and pulled up in front of the police station. I am afraid to carry a gun but I do carry pepper spray. I am always aware of what's going on around me but one of my scariest things, even in broad daylight, is walking in a store parking lot. I walk down the middle of the road, never in between cars. If a van is parked next to me, I get really scared and have been known to move my car if a van pulls up next to me. If one is parked next to me when I walk out of a store, I ask security to walk me to my car. I'm a real scardey cat but I don't think you can ever be too careful.

Comment

Ok...I must be a real ditz, because I don't carry anything. No gun, no mace...nothing. I have always had the belief that if you don't look like a "victim" then your chances are real slim on something happening. If I'm walking in my neighborhood and there is someone approaching me, I give them eye contact; I don't look down or away. Stand up straight and don't slouch. It's my belief that the BG doesn't want you to to get a good description of him so if you look like a mousy, unassertive person then you are a great target. If I get weird vibes from someone if I'm walking to my car or something in a parking lot I just give them the look of death, ya know the "I'm not intimidated by you, so don't even think about trying anything." I should probably carry mace or something anyway though, I guess I just figure that I don't really put myself in dangerous situations, so I don't really need it.
                    Dance like no one's watching -- Sing like no one's listening, and work like you don't need the money.

Comment

quote:
                      Originally posted by team green:
                      Yeah, OK...I hope to someday have the fine observation skills and common sense that you have. Should we now test common sense before allowing someone to have a gun? Maybe there should be a question on the CCW application stating, "Have you ever let a bad guy follow you to your residence? If so, discontinue the application, as you OBVIOUSLY do not have the common sense to carry a loaded firearm."

Gee team green, it sounds like you'd like to use a firearm on me with that statement if you're referring to me. I don't WANT to carry a firearm anyway, and what is CCW? I don't know what you're talking about. First, he never said his daughter lived in the sticks before his second post, did he? Secondly, my post was referring to MY daughter (if it were her and my expectations of her before I'd give MY daughter a gun, should she be in a situation like that). Thirdly, I basically said that $*@& happens like this and can't be avoided. Get your panties out of your @$$.

[ 05-22-2003, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Tprspouse ]
                      "It is easier for a king to have a lie believed than a beggar to spread the truth."---Robert Strecker

Comment

CCW=Carrying a Concealed Wweapon
                        Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]

Comment

Thanks, apparently I was supposed to know what that meant. I don't like guns BTW if anyone hasn't figured it out. I am so afraid of them being found/taken and used on myself or a family member. I trust ONE person with a gun and that is my husband because he's been trained how to use it in stressful situations.

But, I am NOT against them like some people you hear about. I am personally against using one or anyone in MY FAMILY using one who isn't a police officer. You all can do what you want.

You can call it "becoming a statistic" or whatever you want. It's my decision, my life.

[ 05-22-2003, 09:23 PM: Message edited by: Tprspouse ]

Comment

I most certainly DO NOT look like a 'victim', but I ALWAYS have something nasty or lethal on me.

Some day(God forbid), you'll meet up with the WRONG individual that doesn't give a damn about your 'looks'.....then what?
                            "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
                            -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

Comment

quote:
                              Some day(God forbid), you'll meet up with the WRONG individual that doesn't give a damn about your 'looks'.....then what?
                              Kick 'em between the legs and run like hell!

Comment

quote:
                                Kick 'em between the legs and run like hell!
                                No...Put your thumbs in his eyes and pull something squishy out. I've been kicked in the nuts enough times to know that it hurts, but doesn't stop someone from doing what they want to.

Now a missing eyeball or two...that works. Practice on an orange.
                                I haven't felt this good since we stole the 2000 elections!--Ned Flanders

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4408 users online. 274 members and 4134 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X