300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Ugly Plate for Indiana

The Hoosier state is in the midst of a growing controversy. We have istorically had the ugliest plates in the Union, with a few exceptions.

Unlike many other states, we rotate our plate designs for our standard plate. Used to keep one for two years, now I think it is 4-5. On top of that we have something like 450 (sarcasm) different specialty plates from DAV, Hoosier Veteran, University Plates, to I like to Walk My Dog (sarcasm again).

Makes running specialty plates a joy as we have to enter a special code for many of them.

Here is the latest:
    http://www.theindychannel.com/news/1966631/detail.html
    Do your best, do what is right

....Of course this beats the periennial submission from the Gary area. Someone inevitably submits a plate design with Michael Jackson on it.

No Piper, it has never been adopted!
    Do your best, do what is right

Comment

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! [Wink]

Comment

Michael Jackson? Yuck!

Comment

I'll go on record against the proliferation of specialty plates and fancy designs that are common today. I like the days when you could immediately recognize what state a plate came from just from its colors (yellow on blue - CA, black on yellow - WI, etc) Nowadays, you almost have to be at a vehicle's rear bumper to identify the state, if it's one that's not common to your area.

About six months ago I saw one that I didn't recognize. So I moved up and found that it was a plate from...Hawaii! Here in Wisconsin! I almost pulled the guy over just to hear the story on that. For the life of me, I can't imagine why you'd pay to ship a car from Hawaii to the mainland. Sure, maybe if it was some collector or specialty car. But this was on a Toyota Camry.
          Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

have you seen the new Kentukcy Plates? [Eek!]

Comment

We have this huge poster in the Report Room with picture after picture of the different styles of Texas license plates. It's ridiculous what they have them for.

I agree that it seems more trouble & expense than its worth to ship a car to & from Hawaii but the military will do that for service people.

Comment

I can't believe that that sticker (from the article) is legal. You can't alter an Oregon plate in any way.

Oregon has three in current circulation. I don't mind a few, but I've heard that Florida has over 60. That's excessive.

Mike
                "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!" -- Captain Lance Murdoch, The Simpsons

Comment

You got that right. Plus the non-stamped plates are certainly more difficult to read from a distance as well.. maybe due to the number spacing?

At least the old plates were simple & visible.

And the Exp. dates being monthly split are harder to nab [Wink]
                  And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”- Romans 8:28

Comment

I'd take Indiana's plate over this one any day:

-

Comment

I liked it way back when in Texas when there was just the standard issue tag and the personalized tag. Now everybody and their brother has a special tag. I've seen some Texas tags that I had to look at closely to tell that they were a Texas tag.
                      RADAR is the 8th wonder of the world.

Comment

I like the Kentucky plates. They are colorful, cheerful and would help people wake up if they are having a rough morning.

Comment

quote:
                          Originally posted by Snoopy1:
                          I like the Kentucky plates. They are colorful, cheerful and would help people wake up if they are having a rough morning.

Yes, they are colorful and cheerful. That being said, I wouldn't want a license plate with a design the reminds a person of either the Tele-Tubbies or a Wal-Mart commercial.

Comment

Okay, I screwed this up and posted the first time w/o comments. This one needs to get deleted.

[ 02-10-2003, 10:58 PM: Message edited by: Padres19 ]
                            "A man's got to know his limitations" --Inspector Harry Callahan in Magnum Force

Comment

quote:
                              Originally posted by kirch:
                              I'll go on record against the proliferation of specialty plates and fancy designs that are common today. I like the days when you could immediately recognize what state a plate came from just from its colors (yellow on blue - CA, black on yellow - WI, etc) Nowadays, you almost have to be at a vehicle's rear bumper to identify the state, if it's one that's not common to your area.

About six months ago I saw one that I didn't recognize. So I moved up and found that it was a plate from...Hawaii! Here in Wisconsin! I almost pulled the guy over just to hear the story on that. For the life of me, I can't imagine why you'd pay to ship a car from Hawaii to the mainland. Sure, maybe if it was some collector or specialty car. But this was on a Toyota Camry.

He was probably military.

That being said, the worst Indiana plate in recent memory (my dad and his side of the family are Hoosiers) was the Wander plates of the late 80's (I think). Ugly. The new one isn't too bad. I'm glad they change at less frequent intervals, I thought every two years was ridiculous. Since I moved to Hawaii as a kid, they have had a grand total of 3 different designs at last check.

I agree that there should be a limit. Plates don't need to be plain ol' blue and white like the old Virginia or Rhode Island tags, but they also don't have to be impossible to read like the Tennessee tags with the lilies or tulips or whatever the hell plant is on it. New Hampshire is the best "Live Free or Die".

While were at it, what the hell is up with North Carolina and 8-digit/letter tags? That's got to be fun trying to memorize. I thought California was bad with 7.
                              "A man's got to know his limitations" --Inspector Harry Callahan in Magnum Force

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1877 users online. 122 members and 1755 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X