300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For All You Dog Lovers Out There

i was on another forum that i frequent. a guy was talking about how he had to put his dog down as he was very sick. then some people started posting these doggie poems.

get ready to get misty eyed like i did.

now i gotta go hug my best friend!!
    --------------------------------------------------

The Rainbow Bridge

There is a bridge connecting Heaven and Earth. It's called the Rainbow Bridge because of its many colors. Just this side of the Rainbow Bridge, there is a land of meadows, hills, and valleys with lush green grass. When beloved pets die, they go to this place.

There is always food and water and warm spring weather, the old and frail are young again, those who are maimed are made whole. They play all day long, with only one thing missing... they are not with the special person who loved them on Earth.

So each day they run and play until the day comes, when one suddenly stops playing and looks up...the nose twitches, the ears are up, the eyes are staring, and this one runs from the group. You have been seen.

When you and your special friend meet, you take him or her in your arms and embrace. Your face is kissed again and again, and you look once more into the eyes of your trusting and beloved friend. Then together you cross the Rainbow Bridge, never again to be separated.

A Dog's Prayer

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart
    in all the world is more grateful for kindness than
    the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should
    lick your hand between the blows, your patience
    and understanding will more quickly teach me the
    things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's
    sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce
    wagging of my tail when your footstep falls upon my
    waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside ...
    for I am now a domesticated animal,
    no longer used to the bitter elements ...
    and I ask no greater glory than the
    privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth ...
    though had you no home, I would rather follow you through
    ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the
    warmest home in all the land ...
    for you are my God ...
    and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for
    although I should not reproach you were it dry,
    I cannot tell you when I romp and play
    and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and
    stand ready, willing and able to protect you with
    my life, should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the Great Master see
    fit to deprive me of my health or sight, do not turn me
    away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms
    as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest ...
    and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew,
    my fate was ever safest in your hands.

written by Beth Norman Harris

TRIBUTE TO A DOG

The one absolutely unselfish friend that
    man can have in this selfish world, the one that
    never deserts him, the one that never proves
    ungrateful or treacherous, is the dog.

A man's dog stands by him in prosperity and in
    poverty, in health and in sickness.

He will sleep on the cold ground, where the
    wintry winds blow and the snow drives fiercely,
    if only he may be near his master's side.

He will kiss the hand that has no food to offer;
    he will lick the wounds and sores that come in
    encounter with the roughness of the world. He
    guards the sleep of his pauper master
    as if he were a prince.

When all other friends desert, he remains.
    When riches take wing and reputation falls to
    pieces, he is as constant in his love as the
    sun in its journey through the heavens.

- Senator George Vest, 1870
    I'll post, You argue.

Dammit, Nick!! You made me cry. Don't know what I'd do without my fuzzy-butted friends.
    "Sometimes, I guess there just aren't enough rocks." -Forrest Gump

Comment

I have a chihuahua, age 14, who has been my companion since he was a puppy. When he was younger he was so full of pep, jumping, barking and wanting to go for a walk around the neighborhood. Lately he has been slowing down considerably, and I have this strange feeling he won't be around much longer.

For a couple of days he did nothing but lay around sleeping, wouldn't eat, and didn't seem at all interested when I opened the front door and picked up his leash to see if he wanted to go for a walk. I said something to him about him acting sick and maybe I should take him to the vet. Ten minutes later he was following me around the house and trying to jump up in the chair beside me. Today he seems more like himself although he sleeps a lot. He reminds me of a child who is too sick to go to school until mom starts talking about doctors and shots. Then the kid announces that he feels better than he did when he first woke up.

I must face the fact that my little boy, as I call him, is getting old but it's probably time for a trip to the vet in case there is something that can be done for him.

Comment

Man....I had to wake up my dogs just so I could give them a hug after reading those poems. Please no more, or my wife will think I get'in soft !!!

Comment

quote:
          Originally posted by nickg:

Thanks for posting Nick. The timing on this was very appropriate, nothing wrong with my dog, just had a recent reminder that people aren't like dogs... (that selfish rat bas.., oh. sorry...)

Have you ever noticed? Anybody going slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac.

Comment

quote:
            Originally posted by Fastie:
            quote:
            Originally posted by nickg:

Thanks for posting Nick. The timing on this was very appropriate, nothing wrong with my dog, just had a recent reminder that people aren't like dogs... (that selfish rat bas.., oh. sorry...)

lol Fastie. i totally agree. my dog is my best buddy, and i'm very glad i have her living with me. i feel safer and happier. i hug her every day I really think she's the only companion that i will ever want to have 24/7 lol...

The Rainbow Bridge is a great poem... i keep it saved. there are some nice websites related to it, too.
            "You did what you knew how to do...and when you knew better, you did better." ~~Maya Angelou

Comment

I so hope the Rainbow Bridge is true. My Nickie has been gone only three weeks, and I'm sitting here in tears while I type this. Just when I think I'm getting over the hump and it won't be so bad, it just crops up. Last weekend, my husband and I came home from an outing and as we were coming through the front door, I almost called out for "the buppy" (a nickname for him) and then I remembered.

Nick, thanks for sharing this one, even though it hurts.
              "Americans don't want a mentally unstable president; he might start a war or something." - Bill Maher

Comment

I won't get into anything long winded(strange thing for me to say, I know ), but after that close call where I nearly lost my Toby for good, I vowed the next SOB who does anything, directly or indirectly, to take him away from me, I will dance the Highland Fling on his face while I am wearing golfing spikes! And I weigh 250!!!

I love dogs to no end. And I very seldom meet a dog who does not want to be my friend.

And, my signature says it all.
                Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

Just wanted to say that we've got 3 little dogs can't even think about any one of them not being here. Didn't read the verses all the way through,not sure if my keyboard is waterproof.I have to pass a large pet crematorium when i go over to the mother-in-laws,i get my beloved to cover the dogs eyes so they can't see it, it just
                  makes me feel better!!!
                  " Always a pleasure..........Never a chore"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4547 users online. 250 members and 4297 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X