300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugs Bunny and Land Mines?

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/asiapcf/southeast/05/14/bugs.landmines/index.html

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The cartoon characters Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck will be used in public service messages educating Cambodians about land mines, the State Department said Wednesday.

The State Department's Bureau of Political-Military Affairs and the U.S. Agency for International Development are developing the messages, which will be delivered in Khmer, the country's official language.

The topics will be "mine risk education" and "social reintegration" for land mine accident survivors. The ads feature "Rith," a Cambodian land mine survivor, created by Warner Bros. for the project.

Roland Eng, the Cambodian ambassador to the United States, and others were consulted.

The State Department said Bugs Bunny was purposely chosen because "the rabbit is considered a kind and intelligent creature in Cambodian culture."

Land mines are planted throughout the war-wracked Southeast Asian nation, which experienced conflict during the Vietnam War, widespread civil warfare, and a dispute with Vietnam.

----
    I don't know about the Cambodians, but I learned a long time ago not to trust a dang thing that wascally wabbit said.
    I haven't felt this good since we stole the 2000 elections!--Ned Flanders

Wabbit season...duck season...wabbit season...duck season...

...fiddler crab season?

Comment

Well, I suppose it's good they didn't select Wily Coyote and Yosemite Sam...
      Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass.
      -Mark Twain

Comment

quote:
        Originally posted by n567:
        Well, I suppose it's good they didn't select Wily Coyote and Yosemite Sam...

or Elmer Fudd. Now that I think about this, he might be the only red-neck cartoon character.
        Drug Recognition Expert

Comment

"ehhhhh....what's up d...KABOOM!!!!"
          I'll post, You argue.

Comment

The Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote.

Picture it. Road Runner runs through a mine field without hitting a single mine. Wile E. Coyote jumps from behind a rock with a lot of question marks above his head. He throws a rock at the land mine; nothing. He hits it with a stick, runs like hell, and dives behind the rock. Still nothing. Losing his temper, he jumps on the mine like he's nuts, until the mine blows! He flies up out of sight, reappearing a few seconds later, landing smack on his bum, all burned and smoking.

That's when the Road Runner reappears on the scene, sticking his tongue out at Wile E., then takes off like a shot. Wile E., boiling mad at this point in time, takes off running after the Road Runner, hitting every land mine in his path, getting blown nearly to the moon!

Not sure if that was an actual cartoon or not; just wrote that off the top of my imagination.

The real culprit with land mines and munitions was Foghorn Leghorn. "Hey, boy; uh, I say there, boy! Look at me when I talkin' at ya', boy! Now there's a right way, and then there's a wrong way!" BOOM!!!! Caption reads: Now that is the wrong way!
            Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

I guess Marvin the Martian would have been in bad taste...

"Wheres the kaboom? There was supposed to have been an Earth shattering KABOOM!"

It seems like there was a Raodrunner and Coyote episode where Wile E. would hit one mine and the blast would launch him into another one. It may have even been one of the Bugs/Wile E. episodes.

Comment

Silly me! I was thinking of those two Mexican cats, who were trying to get Speedy Gonzalez, and mined an entire street. Speedy tricked them into chasing him into the street, and the cats didn't realize it until they were into the thick of the mines! The big one jumped into the arms of the other one, saying,"Save me! I'm too young to go 'kaboom!'" So, the one cat carries the other, until Speedy comes up from behind, and lets out his trademark "YEE-HA!!" Scares the crap out of the cat, and he drops the other right into a mine!
                Never make a drummer mad- we beat things for a living!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4161 users online. 205 members and 3956 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X