Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are you a Narcan or Narcan't?

http://www.officer.com/news/12250456...roin-overdoses

CINCINNATI -- A spike in heroin overdoses in Cincinnati could be the result of more daring addicts, according to a Butler County law enforcement officer.

Police are continuing to investigate sources of the heroin that led to at least 22 overdoses in a matter of a few hours Tuesday.

A typical day sees four overdoses in the entire city, police said.

The availability of Narcan has in some ways made addicts more daring, because it can be used to counteract heroin if they overdose, said Sgt. Jason Owens of the Butler County Undercover Regional Narcotics Taskforce.

"We have seen people shooting up in front of firehouses because they know there is Narcan there," he said.

Police in Cincinnati are not sure what exactly caused the recent surge in overdoses, but are working to identify patterns to find the source of the drug being circulated.

"I've got to say to whoever pushed this out on the street, this was the wrong thing to do," said Newtown police Chief Tom Synan, head of the Hamilton County Heroin Coalition, "because you now have the full and undivided attention of the Hamilton County Coalition Task Force, which includes local, state and federal agencies, and I can tell you we'll all be working with the Cincinnati Police Department to see who pushed this out on the street."

Many of the overdoses happened on the city's west side. Police say three people overdosed in one house and another person overdosed at a gas station with his child in the car.

The Tri-State's opioid epidemic is well-documented, and the recent emergence of heroin strains laced with surgical anesthetics and animal tranquilizers has backed both law enforcement officers and health officials into a tight corner.

Tried and true antidotes like Narcan are sometimes not enough to reverse the effects of these deadly cocktails, and drug users who buy them may not know exactly what they've purchased.

The drugs are being tested to determine if they contain fentanyl or carfentanyl or perhaps rat poison -- all agents mixed with heroin to produce a greater high.

Owens said anyone using intravenous drugs should be aware of increased danger.

Fentanyl, he said, is being found in about 30 percent of the heroin seized by police in Butler County.

Some of what is thought to be heroin is actually pure fentanyl, according to Owens.

I've been wondering if this miracle cure would only increase addictive tendencies. If we keep creating protective nets for everything, won't that increase the number of idiots willing to partake? At what point does natural selection kick in?

At what point? Fentanyl. At that point.
    semper destravit

Comment

Yeah... But. It's the job to save stupid from themselves...

Comment

Never saw this coming...[/sarcasm]
        This Space For Rent

Comment

I'm a Narwon't

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
          Yeah... But. It's the job to save stupid from themselves...
          No, it's not.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Yeah. It is. When you're booking that Baggie of powder and you get an exposure, you will understand. When your K9 partner gets a hit and inhales opioids, you'll understand.

Comment

you'll understand.
              I understand personal responsibility. Somebody ODs, I'm not a doctor I'm a cop. If you survive, I'll write an arrest warrant.

I really don't care either way.

I said before:

The role of law enforcement, and the purpose of laws, in a free society is to allow people to exercise their rights as freely as possible without interfering with the rights of others. Your right to swing your arms around stops where my nose begins.

Smoke pot, drink alcohol all you want... until you get on the road and endanger others or do something else stupid that puts society at risk.

I don't believe, absent mental deficiency, that it is the role of government to protect you from YOURSELF.

Drink yourself to death, smoke pot until your eyes cross (and it IS possible to OD on pot)... shoot up, snort... whatever. I don't care until you cause the rest of the world problems.
              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Originally posted by tanksoldier View Post
                I understand personal responsibility. Somebody ODs, I'm not a doctor I'm a cop. If you survive, I'll write an arrest warrant.

I really don't care either way.

I said before:

The role of law enforcement, and the purpose of laws, in a free society is to allow people to exercise their rights as freely as possible without interfering with the rights of others. Your right to swing your arms around stops where my nose begins.

Smoke pot, drink alcohol all you want... until you get on the road and endanger others or do something else stupid that puts society at risk.

I don't believe, absent mental deficiency, that it is the role of government to protect you from YOURSELF.

Drink yourself to death, smoke pot until your eyes cross (and it IS possible to OD on pot)... shoot up, snort... whatever. I don't care until you cause the rest of the world problems.
                Speaking as a lawyer and former ADA, let me just warn you that your job is to execute the laws and policies of the country, your state, and your department.

In addition to being callous, your statement seems to indicate you'd stand there and watch someone die from an overdose instead of administering a simple counteracting shot.

I am certain such an action would result in serious charges if it happened to be caught on film or witnessed by reliable sources.

It's neither your job nor your moral authority to pick and choose which members of your community you serve. Even individuals who break the law are subject to rights and when the state begins to sort which people are accorded protections at this level, it's a serious problem.

This forum leans heavily right wing and talks about various political issues as harbingers of problems with the country, but let me assure you. Officers sitting in the street smugly watching people die of overdoses because they've determined on their own that person is not worthy of assistance or perhaps even life, is a far more serious problem than some of the things people on this forum have pointed out as disastrous.

Comment

Opinions of those who expatriate don't matter here.

Or was it that you were thrown out, Kevin?
                  This Space For Rent

Comment

In the academic world, we don't disqualify data based on location but by correctness. Was what I said incorrect?

Also, I'm repatriating soon and will likely head into politics.

Comment

I absolutely would administer it. That person is loved by someone.
                      Judge me by the enemies I have made----Unknown

Comment

I have five Narcan kits ........ but there are days when I consider the situation to be thinning of the herd ....... sorta like I feel about Chicago.
                        Rule #1 - If it doesn't change supper it's not worth the worry.
                        Rule #10 - YOU ARE NOW THE MINORITY. This country is no longer the one your parents knew. You will not be able to understand it. You will not be able to change it. You must learn to live with it.

Comment

I really need to start posting in the Squad Room so the people who aren't actual sworn LEO's will leave us alone.

That being said, I will gladly administer my department issued Narcan. I was more questioning the road we're on that not only requires the police to be grief counseling, traffic enforcing, zone patrolling report takers but first responders also. That's been covered in other threads though now that I think about it. I guess I should be happy to make less than 40k a year to be everything to everyone. And get criticized by the media and uninformed celebrities and athletes on a daily basis.

Also, adding a safety net to everything we know is toxic and dangerous is not the best way to end the drug epidemic. Just like I don't believe imprisoning people for drug addictions helps either.

Comment

I was more questioning the road we're on that not only requires the police to be grief counseling, traffic enforcing, zone patrolling report takers but first responders also.
                            Exactly.

Comment

In addition to being callous, your statement seems to indicate you'd stand there and watch someone die from an overdose instead of administering a simple counteracting shot.
                              As a lawyer, your inability to read is astounding. Plead quote where I said anything like that.

My department doesn't issue it, and if they ever do I'll avoid the training and being issued the drug.

I'm not a doctor, I'm not an EMT anymore... dispensing drugs and making medical calls beyond basic first aid isn't something I'm qualified to do or something I'm being paid to do.

Officers sitting in the street smugly watching people die of overdoses because they've determined on their own that person is not worthy of assistance or perhaps even life, is a far more serious problem than some of the things people on this forum have pointed out as disastrous.
                              I choose life or death for somebody at least once per month. Since retiring from the Army all the choices have been "life". Lucky them. Get off your high horse.

When you pin on a badge and do the job for a bit I'll be interested in your opinion. Until then STFU.
                              Last edited by tanksoldier; 08-28-2016, 01:08 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4602 users online. 292 members and 4310 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X