• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 Chicago cops to be fired.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/18/us/chi....html?adkey=bn
    Retired LASD

Hmmm this could get interesting.

Reminds me a little of the Ian Birk case in Seattle several years back. That case gave us a heck of a thread blow-up on here.
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Comment

I watched the video about 5 times and it sure looked to me like it was not the best shooting....I really did not see an immediate threat to the officers.
      Retired LASD

Comment

If they lied then so be it. If it was guilt by just being there then to me that is nothing to be fired over.
        Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

Don't tell me...The 21Foot Rule. That piece of bogus crap is what makes case law.

Comment

Originally posted by Cjw503
            Some departments make you sign a form that states if observe or know of an illegal act by another officer you could be charged with the same Act.
            So cops have a super human power to control the actions of other cops? That's retarded. Civilians aren't even liable for a crime they witness.

Comment

That the circumstances as shown by the dashcam video were withheld from the public for so long was purely a political decision. When this occurred (October 2014), the town of Ferguson was still smoldering and there was a high level of civil unrest in the nation. Mayor Rahm Emanuel was up for re-election in a few months, running against a Hispanic candidate. Had his administration disclosed the tape and circumstances before the election (which went into a run-off, ending with Emanuel's re-election in April 2015), it would have had a harsh effect on his campaign. As it was, when Emanuel's re-election was in the bag, his corporation counsel recommended to the city council that they settle with Laquan McDonald's family for $5 million, even though the family had not yet filed a lawsuit
              Listening to all this corrupt stuff really makes me wish the Wire would start back up. In this police hate atmosphere they'd have so much to go on.

Comment

Telling you some departments make you sign a form letting you know that you could be charged if you witness another cop committing a crime and don't turn them in.. Cops here know this it's common knowledge.
                You weren't very clear in your other post. I understand what your getting at.

Comment

One can be charged with aiding and abetting or being an accomplice only if they act overtly to aid in or subvert investigation of the crime.
                  No. You can be charged as an accomplice by either act or omission. If the omission to act furthers the criminal event, you can be charged as an accomplice.
                  \

Comment

Originally posted by IAM Rand View Post
                    If they lied then so be it. If it was guilt by just being there then to me that is nothing to be fired over.
                    I agree. I didn't follow this when it happened and have no desire to watch the video, so I won't comment on the shooting itself but, if the witnessing officers purposefully lied in their respective reports, F them.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                      I agree. I didn't follow this when it happened and have no desire to watch the video, so I won't comment on the shooting itself but, if the witnessing officers purposefully lied in their respective reports, F them.
                      That seems like the case. The reports that were written were apparently very different from what the videos show.
                      \

Comment

Originally posted by dvon714 View Post
                        So cops have a super human power to control the actions of other cops? That's retarded. Civilians aren't even liable for a crime they witness.
                        It is law here in CO. 18-8-802. Duty to report use of force by peace officers

Comment

Common knowledge to law enforcement. Anything sketchy happens and supervisors can put you in the area or you wrote a report you're subject to disciplinary. Even if you did nothing
                          Only if you did not report it or do something to stop/prevent it. An Officer jumping out of a car and shooting a guy is hardly preventable. If the other guys fudged their reports then it is on them. If they were truthful about what happened and are still receiving disciplinary action or being fired for just being on scene then that is an issue.

In this day and age it is stupid for an officer to "Fudge" reports. There is so much video out there that chances are what is going on is being recorded. Act accordingly. You should anyway.

Comment

I think the shooting is only the tip of the iceberg or.problems. the issue at hand is the officers lying in their reports and asking others to do the same. Did they not realize there are cameras? Grant it the camera(s) show one angle but when all of those angles are laid on top of each other with the reports the truth is 90% clearer.

The other issue is any smart defense attorney or inmate who was convicted by any of these 7 of their crimes opens a new can of worms.

In the end say what happened and justify what you did. You can only testify as to what you did and why. Lying gets you now where and your credibility I'd done
                            I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by moparfan View Post
                              I think the shooting is only the tip of the iceberg or.problems. the issue at hand is the officers lying in their reports and asking others to do the same. Did they not realize there are cameras? Grant it the camera(s) show one angle but when all of those angles are laid on top of each other with the reports the truth is 90% clearer.

The other issue is any smart defense attorney or inmate who was convicted by any of these 7 of their crimes opens a new can of worms.

In the end say what happened and justify what you did. You can only testify as to what you did and why. Lying gets you now where and your credibility I'd done
                              Exactly. As pointed out in countless articles, this is about false reports and/or lying in an official capacity. And it looks like the PD is only defending maybe one (1) of the officers at the moment, after the investigation concluded and was reported to them. But for now, it goes to a board. If (and I stress "if") you lie, or conspire to lie, and are dumb enough to be on camera, it's hard to feel bad for any negative outcome resulting from that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3249 users online. 173 members and 3076 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X