Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are police officers having the same issues that deputies are having with low pay?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are police officers having the same issues that deputies are having with low pay?

I was curious if police officers are feeling the impact of reduced pay due to low tax revenue that is driving wages for sheriffs' deputies extremely low. Some are making as little as $18,000 a year and it is causing a mass exodus from county sheriffs offices to other types of employment.

Here is a link to my article I wrote on the subject: http://news.ruralfirst.com/blog/how-...ty-level-wages

Lol. 18k a year?

If you're going to work for minimum wage, for gods sake don't risk everything. Wear an apron and flip some burgers and call it a night after a quick 8 hour shift.

Comment

Yep, and do it where you can have it your way.

Comment

I'm a sheriff's deputy. I wouldn't get out bed for $18k a year.
        Originally posted by kontemplerande
        Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

What State is this in?

In California, property taxes pay for the bulk of salaries. It's a more stable funding stream.
          semper destravit

Comment

Not a bad article, though there isn't enough data in there and you have a few typos.

The bottom line is that people want police services and want bottomed out taxes at the same time. Until that changes, expect the problem to continue.

Just a quick example - let's compare Gainesville, Georgia and Lawrenceville, Georgia. According to Wikipedia, Gainesville has a population of 33804. Lawrenceville has a population of 28546. Gainesville covers 29.1 square miles. Lawrenceville, 13.1 square miles. Gainesville has a per capita income of 19,439. Lawrenceville has a PCI of 19,649. Roughly the same.

Starting wages for officers in these cities?

Gainesville - 15.81 per hour.
            Lawrenceville - 20.91 per hour.

How does one explain the over 5 dollar an hour discrepancy? Easy peasy. Look the millage rate for property taxes owed. Gwinnett County has a millage of 13.579 with an additional 2.025 for the city of Lawrenceville.

Hall County has a rate of 5.735 with an additional 2.98 for the city of Gainesville, which operates its own school system.

Good luck trying to raise taxes in Hall County. You'll be voted out by your first term.
            There once was a man who said: "Though,
            it seems that I know that I know,
            what I'd like to see is the I that knows me,
            when I know that I know that I know."

- Alan Watts

Comment

The lowest paid agency in my area is still over $36,000 and I am fairly rural.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

So a one post blogger is taken at its word..?
                Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

"The BLS reports the median annual salary for patrol officers was $56,810 in 2014. The best-paid 10 percent in the field made $92,450, while the bottom 10 percent made $33,030. State governments pay police officers the highest in the country, offering an average salary of $65,270 in 2014". -US News & World Report

There no reason to work at such an agency.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                    So a one post blogger is taken at its word..?
                    Yea, it seemed a little... off.

Here's the BLS pay statistics for law enforcement in the state of Missouri.

http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes_mo.htm#33-0000

Bottom 10% of LE in Missouri have a median income of $27,040. Average median income for MO is $43,790.

Now the OP *might* be working in one of those tiny backwoods county where him and his brother/cousin make up the entire department. To paint the picture that most sheriff's deputies are making around $18k is straight up wrong. I think somebody is trying to drive clicks to his crappy blog.
                    Originally posted by kontemplerande
                    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

I know of a few places in a poor county that pay that low, but they are very small PD's in a very poor county.
                      I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Work in an area that doesn't have a poor tax base, or work for the state/federal government.

I work for a county that is home to the wealthiest zip codes in the nation. In return, the average officer is making a six figure yearly salary. I also have a two hour round trip commute. Go where the money is.
                        Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. An all expenses paid trip with travel, meals, and accommodations included!

Comment

This one time at band camp

Comment

Originally posted by Rudy8116 View Post
                            I know of a few places in a poor county that pay that low, but they are very small PD's in a very poor county.
                            I started at $8.55 an hour in 1990 so cal

Comment

There's a few departments around here (city depts even) starting at like 13.50.

I don't know what my buddy's pay rate is but I know he told me recently he had 20 hours of ot and finally broke 1k on his two week payday.
                              That's just sad. I love this job more than anything but I just couldn't pay the bills with that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4230 users online. 184 members and 4046 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X