X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cops Banned From Restaurant

What can I say? (Sigh)

http://komonews.com/news/local/deput...ley-restaurant

SEDRO-WOOLLEY, Wash. -- The owner of a teriyaki restaurant in Sedro-Woolley has asked local law enforcement to no longer dine at the establishment, the Skagit County Sheriff's office said Thursday.

Four Skagit County Sheriff's office deputies were eating at Lucky Teriyaki when two went to pay the bill. As they were paying, the owner told deputies they were no longer welcome at the restaurant.

"They were told that other customers didn't like law enforcement there," Sheriff Will Reichardt said in a Facebook post.

Reichardt said his chief deputy followed up with the owner. The owner repeated the request, Reichardt said, and asked "that we spread the word to other law enforcement that they were no longer welcome either."

The post has taken a life of its own on social media, and is being shared with community members who are shocked by the request.

"Regardless of your feelings about law enforcement, that was nothing but wrong on so many levels," Faye Whitney wrote on Facebook.

Within an hour, the sheriff's Facebook post had been shared thousands of times, and comments continued to flood in.

"It's their right to refuse service. If customers feel threatened, just like with gang members, they hurt business, so they must go," John Rowlette said in a tweet.

The Sedro-Woolley Police Department said it "support our local businesses but are disappointed by the news." In a Facebook post, the department went on to say, "We want everyone to know SWPD will continue to respond and assist them in anyway they request."

Reichardt said the owner's request took him by surprise, as the Skagit County community has an "overpowering show of appreciation" for deputies and officers serving there.

"I understand a business owner has a right to refuse service if he wants to. I also understand that as customers we all have the right to find some other restaurant to take our lunch break in," Reichardt wrote.

KOMO News called Lucky Teriyaki Wednesday afternoon and at first, the phone line was busy. After a second call, the phone rang, but no one answered.

In contrast to Lucky Teriyaki's request, Dave North, owner of The Bullpen Sports Bar & Grill, tells KOMO News he's planning a police appreciation day at Skagit County restaurants. The date and participating restaurants will be announced once North works out the details.

---------

Editor's note: Hundreds are commenting on the KOMO Facebook page, voicing their opinions in support or against the owner's decision to ban law enforcement. Have something to say? Join the conversation on Facebook.com/KOMOnews.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Cops Banned From Restaurant

It'd be a shame if the owner ever had to dial 911 at his restaurant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Start writing their delivery drivers. Nobody likes cold Chinese food!
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

I can verify that this is being shared on BookFace like crazy (several friends have posted this). Some have suggested picketing.
        This Space For Rent

Comment

Racist Chinese. They are being denied service based on their job. THAT right there is a fileable hate crime.
          Oh. And by the way... Teriyaki is JAPANESE... You stupid mooks.
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I'd like my flied lice with xtra helpings please.
            My dog don't have enough.
            I'll buy you a meal or cup of coffee if I run into ya. Good googly moogly!

Comment

'Nuff said.....
              Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

All the officers have to do is walk in and announce that they are lesbians in costume for a LGBTQI affair and they will be welcomed with open arms and mouths.

Comment

I'd SOOOO be prank calling orders in...

Comment

I have trouble believing that the amount of people scared/offended or just being down right p*ssies/*******s are enough to actually cause them a noticeable loss in revenue let alone a greater loss in revenue than the revenue from officers they are now turning away. Not to mention any civilians that might be discouraged from eating there as a result. Sounds to me they chose the wrong side of customers to support. But hey, that's the owners problem... Even if he recants his statement, I doubt any cop would go back on principality alone. But I HIGHLY doubt the officers are losing anything they couldn't replace anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 1035FAD View Post
                      But I HIGHLY doubt the officers are losing anything they couldn't replace anyway.
                      Teriyaki places are a dime a dozen around these parts...
                      This Space For Rent

Comment

This is a classic case of 'let the free market take care of it.'

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                          All the officers have to do is walk in and announce that they are lesbians in costume for a LGBTQI affair and they will be welcomed with open arms and mouths.
                          And if they discriminated against them when they identified as such, that would truly be discrimination; SAD!

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                          I'd SOOOO be prank calling orders in...
                          This is almost like my open-carry argument, where I put on my 'bad guy' hat. If I were a scumbag and planning to hold up an easy target, I'd hit a place that does crap like this. I would know that a. there wouldn't be any cops (on or off duty) in the joint and
                          b. the response time would be a little slower than one to a hold-up at First National Bank.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Makes me wonder if there's anything interesting going on in the back rooms of that restaurant.
                            Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
                              Makes me wonder if there's anything interesting going on in the back rooms of that restaurant.
                              Lots of dead cats...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6351 users online. 265 members and 6086 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X