300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Los Angeles Area Commuting

This really has nothing to do with police work per se, but is more a heads up for those of you that are interested in moving to the Los Angeles Metro area for a law enforcement job.

There have been previous threads about the nightmare commute people face here. The below article addresses just that.

Los Angeles just opened a new Metro (subway/streetcar) line from downtown Los Angeles to Santa Monica (at the beach). It was heralded as a breakthrough in transportation that will shorten people's commute from the west side of town. Folks from the Hollywood Reporter decided to do a test run and see which mode of transportation between downtown LA and Santa Monica was faster during rush hour - the Metro, driving a car, or riding an electric bicycle. Each method was only a minute or two off from each other. It took one hour to travel 14 miles by any of the three modes of transportation. Even more interesting, the made the test traveling from downtown LA to Santa Monica, where there is the lease amount of traffic during rush hour. Going in the opposite direction from Santa Monica to downtown LA is where the heaviest traffic is found.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fea...r-train-903751
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

So... You're saying Jack Bauer could never have done all that in an hour..?
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Thanksgiving eve 1989 I left Central Jail at 1600.... It was pouring rain.....I got home in Upland 38 miles later at 2030 hours....My wife asked where in the hell have you been...My reply " On the F.......San Bernardino Freeway... 4 1/2 hour drive home....
      Last edited by Retired96; 06-18-2016, 06:28 PM.
      Retired LASD

Comment

Melbourne's traffic problems suddenly pale into comparison. I usually pick workplaces that are a 20-30 minute drive away.

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
          Thanksgiving eve 1989 I left Central Jail at 1600.... It was pouring rain.....I got home in Upland 38 miles later at 2030 hours....My wife asked where in the hell have you been...My reply " On the F.......San Bernardino Freeway... 4 1/2 hour drive home....
          I have a 10 minute commute -------------IF I stop to get a newspaper

5.7 miles door to door
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

When I lived in Miami, FL my commute on six lane I-95 was 7 miles and took an hour & 30 min. on a good day. My last day was in Aug. '82 when I moved to Arkansas.

My commute here was on a two lane scenic hwy of 13 miles and took 20 min. I love the rural life.
            Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
            In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
            Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
            Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

Six miles to work. At 0740 - 10 minutes. At 1700 - 30-45 minutes. During spring break, up to an hour.
              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

My commute right now is about 40 miles. It takes that long at 2am.... If I am going to speed limit...
                semper destravit

Comment

I used to commute 21 miles each day from Manhattan Beach to downtown Los Angeles. It took me 1:15 to get there in the morning and 1:45 to get home at night. Long after I got transferred they put in the Metro, a lot of it subways. Just by Metro alone (transferring three times) it would have taken me an hour. On top of that I would have had to drive to the station, park, walk to the terminal, then on arrival downtown, walk from the Metro station to the police station. In the end, driving and the Metro would have both averaged out to the same commute time. No point in going green.
                  Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

It's been five years since I've been in L.A. Growing up in the 1940's, 1950's I recall places like Chatsworth and Thousand Oaks being out in the country. We have family living in Camarillo. Got off of I-10 onto 101, and it took almost three hours from downtown LA to Camarillo.

Said to my Wife, who also grew up in Southern Calif, "Imagine doing this crap every day". I still recall the yellow streetcars and busses of the "Los Angeles Transit Lines", and the red cars of the Pacific Electric. Considering the times and the technology of the times, they did a pretty fair job of moving a lot of people around town.

In one way I'm surprised that the new rail/streetcar/subway transit does as well as it does. Thirty years ago, I just couldn't imagine separating ANY Southern Californian from his car. Still can't in some ways.

Fortunately, I don't have to utilize public transportation in my part of the world. A former Mayor once noted to a radio talk show host, "If you threw a hand grenade on a bus, the only person you'd hurt would be the driver".

Comment

For me - 35 miles. It takes anywhere from 40 minutes to 3 hours.
                      They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

Motorcycle all the way! My commute home by car is approximately 40 minutes and it's only 15.5 miles door to door. On the bike it's down to 20 - 25 minutes, lane splitting without any shenanigans (IE moving at a reasonable and prudent speed).

Comment

Originally posted by JustAJ View Post
                          Motorcycle all the way! My commute home by car is approximately 40 minutes and it's only 15.5 miles door to door. On the bike it's down to 20 - 25 minutes, lane splitting without any shenanigans (IE moving at a reasonable and prudent speed).
                          I couldn't afford all the mirrors I'd be taking out...
                          This Space For Rent

Comment

I cycle to work... Only takes me about 30 minutes regardless of time of day. Sure, I got some sh*t for it in the beginning (after all tight shorts and bicycle gear is not my favorite look either) but when I pointed and laughed at their physique compared to mine, they didn't give me any more grief .

Comment

For those who don't know, lanesplitting is legal in California. Lanesplitting crashes are actually pretty uncommon because drivers expect it and make allowances for it. The crashes that do occur are usually going to be due to the rider going way too fast. In my 27+ year career, I have encountered two. One was a rider on meth splitting 45 MPH traffic at 75 on a mountain highway (DOA after losing it, hitting a signpost, flying 60' and skidding far enough to grind through his helmet, skull and half an inch of brain.). The other was a DUI rider.

Lanesplitting is allowed because there is no law against it. There currently is a bill in the state legislature that will specifically legalize it and have guidelines as to speed.
                              Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9683 users online. 208 members and 9475 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X