X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 years since Miami gunfight

Worth a watch i thought:

1986 FBI Miami Gunfight - Firefight & Personal Reflections

"It has been 30 years since the infamous FBI Miami shootout with William Matix and Michael Platt which left the both perps dead, also killed were two FBI agent Jerry Dove and Ben Grogan, three other agent were left permanently impair and two others were wounded but recovered. It is probably the most studied gunfight in LE history. It left the LE and firearm world in general with some heavy lessons learned, others that should have been learned and have not, it also generated a few myths. Here is the firefight and some personal reflections..." -

Last edited by WillBrink; 04-13-2016, 01:49 PM.
    - Will

Performance/Fitness Advice For the Tactical Community

www.OptimalSWAT.com

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

We reviewed this shootout in the Academy because our Range Master was a retired Fed.
    semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by WillBrink View Post
      Worth a watch i thought:

1986 FBI Miami Gunfight - Firefight & Personal Reflections

"It has been 30 years since the infamous FBI Miami shootout with William Matix and Michael Platt which left the both perps dead, also killed were two FBI agent Jerry Dove and Ben Grogan, three other agent were left permanently impair and two others were wounded but recovered. It is probably the most studied gunfight in LE history. It left the LE and firearm world in general with some heavy lessons learned, others that should have been learned and have not, it also generated a few myths. Here is the firefight and some personal reflections..." -

We review this in our officer survival class as well. I am curious though What are the Myths it generated?

Comment

It was a classic example of what NOT TO DO. We review it so as to NEVER repeat those stupid mistakes.
        WOW...I can't believe it has been thirty years.
        September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Originally posted by RGDS View Post
          We reviewed this shootout in the Academy because our Range Master was a retired Fed.
          and did he think they were right?
          September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

My BINL was on the Miami/Metro Dade So. at the time. Probably had 9-10 years on the job. He and other officers responded and later he advised me that there were so many tactical errors made it was a wonder any officers survived. He retired after 40 years and survived several shoot out's because of lessons learned.
            Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
            In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
            Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
            Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by So Fla Cop View Post
              and did he think they were right?
              Honesty, I don't remember what much of what he said. I remember a lot of analog slides of the autopsy photos and him hammering into us that a fatal round doesn't alway end the threat.
              semper destravit

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                Two of the myths busted are the 1-shot stop and stopping power. I think it was Matix who got hit early on with a round that would have been fatal even if he got shot in the the ER, but continued to fight.
                In all seriousness, and this is going to **** some people off and perpepuate the myth: I still honestly believe in both of these things. I know Im going to get flamed and I don't want to turn this into another 9 vs 45 argument. But i think there are forces out there, like gravity or high blood pressure, that cannot be seen but are powerful forces to be reckoned with. And I honestly think stopping power is one of them. 1 shot stop: I believe that one too.

Now before I take my flogging on the subject, allow me to share some insight into why I feel that way. It's not ballistic tables, gellatin or some hocus pocus new bullet I'm selling.

http://www.dailyfreeman.com/general-...e-with-shotgun

Events can change your beliefs, the way you train, the way you fight. Let's train to fight and fight to win.
                I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

OK- here is a "believe it or not" story- but I promise it is true.

I grew up about three miles from where the gunfight broke out. I lived at 136 st & 74th avenue, and drove by the perimeter post incident, knowing something REALLY bad had happened. Seems like I never saw so many emergency vehicles at a single scene before or since.
                  As I had aspirations of being a cop since age 13, I was a scanner freak as a kid, listening to MDPD all the time, and was aware of several bank robberies in the area in the weeks before, which explained the FBI Task Force that was in the area.
                  Of course, back then, even suburban Miami was a hot bed of gunfights and bodies due to the "Cocaine Cowboys"

I remember going to the scene days later and seeing all the bullet holes in a concrete wall of a power substation, and small trees that had bullet holes in them, as well as the tell-tale marks of where bodies had layed.

Here is the part that has always been wild to me, that as far as I know has never been disclosed (not that it means anything):
                  I worked as a stockboy at Publix Supermarket, and one of my coworkers Dad was a FBI SAC at a local Miami field office.
                  Guess who cut the grass at their residence?
                  Platt and Matix.

One other coinky-dink that again means nothing, was that years later, as a cop, my first unit/badge number was 5212.
                  One of the responding units that day was 5212.

I've never forgotten the names of the agents or killers.
                  Definitely a game changer for all law enforcement.
                  Last edited by swat_op506; 04-14-2016, 11:42 AM.
                  SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
                  SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

I remember seeing a picture in a Street Survival book where a bank robber was shot about 30 times with a 9mm before he went down. Point being, you never know what'll bring a bad guy down. Thirty hits with a pee shooter caliber should have done it.
                    They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9467 users online. 194 members and 9273 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X