300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'sniffer pigs..'

is it true that New Jersey police are now using pigs as well as dogs for narcotics searches? i'd love to see a picture of that!
    [email protected] "Where there is love, there is no imposition"- Albert Einstien.

I don't know about New Jersey, but there have been some agencies using Vietnamese potbellied pigs for drugs searches.
    John from Maryland

Comment

my dad told me he saw it on the discovery channel..i really like the idea! i s'pose their noses are even more accurate.
      [email protected] "Where there is love, there is no imposition"- Albert Einstien.

Comment

did you know that pigs are one of few animals that will actually eat anything? one way of disposing of a dead body is to feed it to pigs (courtesey of the movie snatch, but a fact of life none the less). pigs will even eat oter pigs if given the chance.

Comment

Sort of takes the Macho out of arriving at the scene

Comment

Originally posted by vampire13r:
            Sort of takes the Macho out of arriving at the scene
            Thats true. I can see the handler, pulling up in his big sport utility, getting out in his tactical BDU's and pulling a little pink and brown piggy out of the back of the vehicle!!

Wonder if they can train them for handler protection and fugitive apprehension??

------------------
            No cops, know anarchy.
            No cops, know anarchy.

"He aint finna come all up in my house and act a fool and be gettin away with it cause I will go smooth off." -Movista

Comment

Of course, instead of barking they have to...

SQUEAL!! SQUEAL LIKE A PIG, BOY!! PULL THEM PANTIES DOWN, BOY!! SQUEAL!!!!
              It is good to hate the French. -Al Bundy

Comment

I do like the idea, but i agree that it doesn't quite have the same macho appeal as the K9! ...i wonder do they wear little piggy vests

Comment

Pigs have an excellent sense of smell!

The french had traditionally used pigs to sniff out that most delicious of fungi... the truffle. Only a pig has the ability to detect the ripe truffle growing deep under the soil on the roots of trees.

A dogs sense of smell is great, a pigs is fantastic. Problem with a pig is that its slow to search an area with a pig compared to with a dog!

MJP

[This message has been edited by Michael J Pannell (edited 09-19-2000).]

Comment

Michael:
                    And certainly less threatening.
                    What officer is gonna drive a car with "Pig Unit" on the side?
                    What officer is gonna call his pig outta the car for help when he's rolling on the ground?
                    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

Comment

Originally posted by big_al:
                      did you know that pigs are one of few animals that will actually eat anything? one way of disposing of a dead body is to feed it to pigs (courtesey of the movie snatch, but a fact of life none the less). pigs will even eat oter pigs if given the chance.
                      uhh.. officer/pig ate the evidence!

Comment

I made a pathetic attempt at being funny, but it merely showed my own short-comings and personal jealousy. Please ignore my presence. I'm leaving now.

[ 09-06-2001: Message edited by: Niteshift ]

Comment

Oh Good one Jeff! That's showin' 'em whose top dog eh?

Ya clouted motley-minded mammet ya!

Jim Burnes

Comment

We used pigs at customs to search ships..
                            "Police work gives you the test first, then the lesson"-Senior Trooper Robert Dent Oregon SP

Comment

Think about this. If the pig was to protect the officer I think a suspect would much rather be bitten by a dog. A pig when it bites you is not a fun thing. Plus the fact that a dog is going ok I get to bite this guy hard and he will stop beinga idiot, while the pig is looking at the suspect as lunch. It is nice to see that pigs are being used to search areas for drugs and other contraband and yes while it is slower it is very accurate.

Klar
                              Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4273 users online. 258 members and 4015 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X