300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cops as woman abusers

Is it me or has anyone else noticed that cops have this rep for being woman abusers. Whenever I tell people my plans-become a cop-marry a cop-have cop kids, they give me this horrified look and start with things like have you seen this movie, have you seen that movie it's about a cop who beats his wife. Where did this come from?

TV.
    If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?

Comment

I've seen a bunch of movies about dinosaurs coming to life and killing people, guess thats true to...

You can get entertainment from movies, not facts.
      There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot.

Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Rimfire:
        I've seen a bunch of movies about dinosaurs coming to life and killing people, guess thats true to...

You can get entertainment from movies, not facts.
        Don't tell me tell the world.Obviously I don't believe it

Comment

I believe Police work is highly stressful. I believe highly stressful jobs have a higher probability of contributing to spousal abuse then less stressful jobs (I don't believe jobs are the only factor contributing to spousal abuse). I don't believe all cops abuse their spouses, but I certainly believe it's not uncommon. I remember reading on this forum where quite a few people were upset about laws that restricted one's right to own a firearm after a conviction of spousal abuse ... just that post alone makes me think spousal abuse among LEOs is fairly common.

[ 06-21-2002: Message edited by: Crazy in a Jeep ]

Comment

I'm assuming that when you say "women abusers" you not only mean physical abuse, but mental/emotional as well. I can say that in my year of LE work so far, I've seen some pretty disappointing behavior from male officers as far as women are concerned. And although I date a police officer currently, I truly don't think I'd marry a cop. I just see too much. I don't mean to streotype, but if the shoe fits, wear it.

Comment

...they give me this horrified look and start with things like have you seen this movie, have you seen that movie it's about a cop who beats his wife.
              Movies are all about entertainment. They could also make a movie about an out of work alcoholic, single digit brain cell, trailer dwelling, knuckle dragging, cousin lovin' Jerry Springer reject that beats his wife, but it wouldn't pull in the bucks as a "bad cop" movie would do. If ANYONE bases their opinions, good, bad or indifferent, on Hollywood and Hollywood alone, you have to wonder about them.

Yes, LE is stressful, and yes, if you don't have an outlet for your stress you can get jammed up pretty good by making stupid mistakes. We're subject to the same laws we enforce, but first and foremost, we're humans capable of human flaws.

I don't think you can accurately say that DV is more of a problem within one profession than another.

I remember reading on this forum where quite a few people were upset about laws that restricted one's right to own a firearm after a conviction of spousal abuse ... just that post alone makes me think spousal abuse among LEOs is fairly common.
              No, that post alone shouldn't make you think spousal abuse is common in LE. What it does mean is that not being able to own and/or carry a firearm takes away your ability to be an LEO.

Now, what if a roofer is convicted of DV, which bars him from owning a gun. Say that roofer never owned a gun in his life and never had any intention on owning a gun ever. Should he also not be allowed to own a hammer? It can be used as a weapon if needed and it would also prevent him from doing his job.

I think by and large LEO's see what happens with DV's and tend to stay away from that.

Comment

Hmmm, I must be doing something wrong then because I don't fit the profile. My wife and I have been together for 30 years now... But then again I don't bring "work" home with me either.
                " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

Oh sheesh, now I get it.....Guys, 555 is a TROLL. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mitzi:
                    Oh sheesh, now I get it.....Guys, 555 is a TROLL. lol
                    Mitzi,
                    I am not a troll. I am student studying CJ and have a serious interest in LE not just from the stand point of wanting to know about the job itself but also about the culture of police. You might consider that people who are interested in a particular field would be interested in the culture as well.

Comment

There are many different types of people who are drawn to the profession of Law enforcement. Many want to help people, some like the prestige, or maybe it is the very high salary. And there are some who are drawn by the use of force and the POWER that comes with the job. They tend to settle disputes with violence in order to assert their power and control. Be it on the job or at home. I would argue, had they not become LEOs and found a different job, they still would probably use physical violence to settle their disputes. I think it is fair to say that the job of a police officer is going to attract more people like this than say a lawyer, carpenter, or salesman.
                      However, I have yet to see any statistics to show more cops are involved in domestic violence than other professions.

But it is important to remember, that this is not the norm. The majority of cops didn't become cops because they want to beat people up. They did it because they want to help people and protect the victims of crime and their community.

Comment

Originally posted by Nittany Lion:
                        However, I have yet to see any statistics to show more cops are involved in domestic violence than other professions.
                        I don't believe LEO's are involved in a greater amount of domestic violence complaints either. We are however put under the media microscope more often than "Joe Average Citizen" because of the fact that we are held to a higher standard and that when the firearms are removed, which is required by law, we are basically out of a job. This doesn't usually occur in the public sector workforce.
                        Then on the other hand how many of these complaints are valid? One of my co-workers was out of work for almost a year because the spouse was "getting even" for the break up. (they weren't even married.) This spouse knew that this would hurt the officer financially, and it did.
                        " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

I agree with 207. There IS a big deal made out of anything a police officer does. People jut forget they are human too. Domestic abuse ahppens too many times everyday in this country. But you generally don't know the name of the man or woman committing it unless they are a cop or city official.

Comment

Well, let's see the recent reports...the guy who slapped his wife yesterday was a construction worker, here's one that worked at the foundry, another who worked at Pilgrim's Pride, oh, here's one of a CPA. It happens in every profession. Yes, even law enforcement. As a new Sergeant, one night I had a call to go to a fellow officer's house reference his wife calling saying he just beat her. An Internal Affairs investigation & Chief's ruling sent him to counselling but the marriage fell apart & then he quit. Oh well, probably for the best.

The others are right though, which of those occupations would make a good movie? And movies ARE just entertainment. Don't believe everything you hear & half of what you see.

Oh, and if you bring this up again woman...
                            What was it Ralph on the Honeymooners used to say? "One of these days, Alice, one of these days. Pow! To the moon."

Comment

I believe that in any profession no matter what it may be, it's the persons own decision and diposition, attitude and self respect for himself and others whether he resorts to domestic abuse. Being an Leo or an accountant doesn't make much difference. I think the biggest aspect was what kind of enviorment he was raised. If he wasn't taught to respect women as a child he sure won't as an adult.
                              Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5370 users online. 297 members and 5073 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X