Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Left-Handed with Long-Guns, Right-Handed with Handguns

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Left-Handed with Long-Guns, Right-Handed with Handguns

    This is the same way my father shoots and I clearly learned it from him. It just makes sense that your dominant hand controls the barrel of the gun when shooting long-guns, and for me, my right hand is my dominant hand, thus I have more control of it and whatever I'm holding.

    Is it common to shoot like this?

  • #2
    Not to sure but I always was taught it had to do with your sight for determining which hand you shoot with. I actually am left Eye dominate but shoot with my right hand because its easier to learn. Was still an expert in the marines that way. I have never heard of your hands determining which way you shoot. Just my 2 cents

    Comment


    • #3
      Although I'm right-handed, I shoot this way because I'm very left-eye dominant. I wish I could shoot a long gun accurately right-handed or afford a left-handed rifle.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by trappd10 View Post
        This is the same way my father shoots and I clearly learned it from him. It just makes sense that your dominant hand controls the barrel of the gun when shooting long-guns, and for me, my right hand is my dominant hand, thus I have more control of it and whatever I'm holding.

        Is it common to shoot like this?
        You will need to practice with stances and like the above post said using your dominant eye will make you a better shot. I had bad techniques as a youngster but got by for years with good eyesight. As I got older I really paid attention to stances and what has worked for good shooters. I have a buddy that shoots the same way you do and he adjusted his sights on his AR to accommodate his non dominant eye. It was habit and he was reluctant to change. Shot gun really does not matter as it is close range only.

        Many left handed people play guitar right handed because the equipment was easier to get and they do well. The problem with shooting is you need to find out if you are left eye dominant,right eye dominant or need both eyes open to shoot and make your adjustments from there.

        Bench your weapon set up a target center your sights. fire left handed left eye then right handed right eye and see what is closest to the Q. That is how I would go about this issue. Then practice with your dominant eye making your less dominant side your support side.
        Last edited by SGTWILKS; 10-06-2015, 12:54 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          I don't shoot like that, but I could see it. I am right eye/right hand dominate, so my right hand will always be pulling the trigger (unless I am working on my weak side shooting).

          Maybe because I hold my AR with a C-clamp grip, but I have not had a problem with target acquisition.
          REINSTATE THE TRIG
          Originally posted by Iowa #1603
          Your logic defies logic
          Originally posted by Rudy8116
          Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
          Originally posted by Michigan
          Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
          Originally posted by TheTick
          A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
          Originally posted by TheTick
          This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
          Originally posted by 02paul09
          Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

          Comment


          • #6
            I shoot long guns lefty and pistols right hand. Left eye dominant but right hand dominant. Seems odd but has come in useful.
            Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by BiteThePullet View Post
              Maybe because I hold my AR with a C-clamp grip,
              Not trying to start a debate or anything but I'm curious what made you go with a C-clamp grip when using an AR? Do you flare your support elbow up or do you keep it down and do you use this for competition shooting or both competition and combative?

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm left handed and left eye dominant. Most firearms are made for right handed use. I always adapted and have never had any problems.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by trappd10 View Post
                  This is the same way my father shoots and I clearly learned it from him. It just makes sense that your dominant hand controls the barrel of the gun when shooting long-guns, and for me, my right hand is my dominant hand, thus I have more control of it and whatever I'm holding.

                  Is it common to shoot like this?
                  Full time firearms instructor here.....A bigger question will be what 'side' is your dominant eye?

                  You pretty much have to shoot with the eye that is on the same side that you are shooting the long gun (esp. a shotgun) from....otherwise (much like my ex-wife) you will go high and off to one side...(this is actually an easy way to 'diagnose' someone that is cross eye dominant'

                  The other 'issue' you will run into is transitioning from your shotgun to your handgun (shotgun goes down....empty, broken, or simply not the tool for the present job)
                  The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

                  "Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

                  "We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by BiteThePullet View Post
                    I don't shoot like that, but I could see it. I am right eye/right hand dominate, so my right hand will always be pulling the trigger (unless I am working on my weak side shooting).

                    Maybe because I hold my AR with a C-clamp grip, but I have not had a problem with target acquisition.
                    Have you tried that hold when driving the gun at close distance through multiple targets?....most have issues with 'over driving' the weapon with that hold...
                    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

                    "Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

                    "We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Miller11x View Post
                      Not trying to start a debate or anything but I'm curious what made you go with a C-clamp grip when using an AR? Do you flare your support elbow up or do you keep it down and do you use this for competition shooting or both competition and combative?
                      Sure-

                      I use a C-clamp when shoot off-hand & upright. I hold my elbow bent at an obtuse angle, of approx. 170 degrees, and my arm on the same horizontal plane as the rifle.

                      I use this technique for competition primarily, given that a) I am not an LEO and have not had to use my AR as a defensive weapon and b) should I need to switch to a sidearm, I want my hand underneath the weapon to better facilitate transitions.






                      Sent via A Ninja Disguised to Look Like a Tree
                      REINSTATE THE TRIG
                      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                      Your logic defies logic
                      Originally posted by Rudy8116
                      Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
                      Originally posted by Michigan
                      Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
                      Originally posted by TheTick
                      A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
                      Originally posted by TheTick
                      This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
                      Originally posted by 02paul09
                      Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by BiteThePullet View Post
                        Sure-

                        I use a C-clamp when shoot off-hand & upright. I hold my elbow bent at an obtuse angle, of approx. 170 degrees, and my arm on the same horizontal plane as the rifle.

                        I use this technique for competition primarily, given that a) I am not an LEO and have not had to use my AR as a defensive weapon and b) should I need to switch to a sidearm, I want my hand underneath the weapon to better facilitate transitions.






                        Sent via A Ninja Disguised to Look Like a Tree
                        Yeah, that's a competition hold, gives you more stability for longer distance shots when nothing is coming back your direction........you will get screamed out if you do it during our patrol rifle training.....
                        The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

                        "Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

                        "We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by trappd10 View Post
                          This is the same way my father shoots and I clearly learned it from him. It just makes sense that your dominant hand controls the barrel of the gun when shooting long-guns, and for me, my right hand is my dominant hand, thus I have more control of it and whatever I'm holding.

                          Is it common to shoot like this?
                          Common, no... but it's how I do it too. Left eye dominant but right handed.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                            Have you tried that hold when driving the gun at close distance through multiple targets?....most have issues with 'over driving' the weapon with that hold...
                            I have. I did find the issue you speak of, no doubt about it.

                            I still use this method for two reasons:

                            •Most of the time, I am shooting steel, with enough margin for error that my minor deflection doesn't matter score wise

                            •I don't hold a true C-clam. My left side thumb (forward hand) actually makes more of an L shape, as I tend to lay it parallel to the rifle handguard. This allows my bottom fingers to still support the rifle, and my palm to facilitate quick transitions. Given most of the shooting I do is from left to right, all I need to do is hold the rifle flat and push with my palm.

                            Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                            Yeah, that's a competition hold, gives you more stability for longer distance shots when nothing is coming back your direction........you will get screamed out if you do it during our patrol rifle training.....
                            Yup. I absolutely agree. If I was forced to fight, I would not only place my hand under the rifle & tuck my elbow in like I am playing violin, but I would adjust my stance to bladed, and shouldering from my peck to my collarbone.






                            Sent via A Ninja Disguised to Look Like a Tree
                            REINSTATE THE TRIG
                            Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                            Your logic defies logic
                            Originally posted by Rudy8116
                            Blah blah blah, cops don't need camo, something something something, why do police need armored vehicles, angry rant angry rant angry rant let's take them all away, angry masturbation.
                            Originally posted by Michigan
                            Arresting someone is fun, but playing with my pecker is still more fun.
                            Originally posted by TheTick
                            A pallet of Cheetos and pictures of my cock are inbound.
                            Originally posted by TheTick
                            This gangsta *** mother ****er was twisting trees with dank nuggs while in his crib.
                            Originally posted by 02paul09
                            Being a cop these days in an officer safety issue

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by BiteThePullet View Post
                              I have. I did find the issue you speak of, no doubt about it.

                              I still use this method for two reasons:

                              •Most of the time, I am shooting steel, with enough margin for error that my minor deflection doesn't matter score wise

                              •I don't hold a true C-clam. My left side thumb (forward hand) actually makes more of an L shape, as I tend to lay it parallel to the rifle handguard. This allows my bottom fingers to still support the rifle, and my palm to facilitate quick transitions. Given most of the shooting I do is from left to right, all I need to do is hold the rifle flat and push with my palm.



                              Yup. I absolutely agree. If I was forced to fight, I would not only place my hand under the rifle & tuck my elbow in like I am playing violin, but I would adjust my stance to bladed, and shouldering from my peck to my collarbone.






                              Sent via A Ninja Disguised to Look Like a Tree
                              That is an exceedingly bad idea....not going to go into detail as to why, but I will leave you with a hint: think about what body armor/plate carriers cover (and more importantly DONT COVER)
                              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

                              "Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

                              "We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3319 users online. 220 members and 3099 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X