300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is funny!

I posted an article in the Law and Politcs section regarding the Supreme Court ruling today that executing the Mentally Retarded is Unconstitutional.

While reading the article, this one line from the article struck me as funny, I had to post here:
    "Presumably, dozens or perhaps hundreds of inmates in those states will now argue that they are retarded, and that their sentences should be converted to life in prison."

I just had this vision of all these Prison Inmates lining up in court yelling......
    "HEY JUDGE, I AM A RETARD!"

A Roit

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 555:
      [QB]A Roit

I meant Riot. No really

Comment

A which?

It sounds funny. It's really not. My uncle has down syndrome, and has it rather bad ... he's incapable of social interaction, and sits around all day listening to the radio. It's a surprise he's still alive (he's 50).

If he were to somehow commit a crime that would have the death penalty as a possible punishment, it's hard to imagine how he could be held responsible.

There are legitimate reasons for this ruling. But, uh, I can't really laugh about it.

I am curious as to what a "roit" is, however.

Comment

Hey Crazy,
          I am sorry if my post offended you. It wasn't intended to be an insult towards those with mentally handicaps. More the thought of every inmate on death row now claiming they are mentally retarded to save their skin, I thought that was funny.

Again, I hope you didn't take it the wrong way.

Comment

I am curious as to what a "roit" is, however.[/QB][/QUOTE]

I corrected myself-R-I-O-T
            But really I'm the last person who would ever find someone else's unhappiness amusing.

Comment

Mentally retarded or not, the question in court should be: Do they know the difference between right & wrong? If they do, then the death penalty should be an option if applicable. And a low IQ does not mean mentally retarded. There is a diffence between retarded & stupid. Stupid is not paying attention in school & raising your IQ level. That should not keep a person from getting the death penalty if called for.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3769 users online. 196 members and 3573 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X