300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Georgetown officer suspended for tampering with colleague’s duty rifle

Scary stuff indeed, for the other officer.

On February 2, while at the Williamson County Firearms Range with other officers, he was asked to retrieve the duty rifle of Officer David Lanier who had forgotten it at the range.

According to an official disciplinary memo from Georgetown Police Chief Wayne Nero, instead of returning the rifle, Bermudez took it to the Guns Plus gun shop in Georgetown where he talked with the clerks about manipulating the gun’s components, specifically the sights and firing pin.

When the clerk asked why he would want that to be done Bermudez said “to teach him a lesson to not leave his [expletive] laying around.”

Bermudez returned the rifle to Lanier later that day while they ate at a Chinese restaurant.

On February 3, Bermudez returned to Guns Plus and continued the discussion about manipulating the gun. A clerk suggested to Bermudez that he tell Lanier to move his sight “twelve left and twelve down.” He also suggested that Bermudez take out the firing pin, as he would do to troops in the military to ensure they remember to check their weapon. “Well, I don’t want to go that far,” Bermudez was reported to have said.

The clerks at Guns Plus told investigators they had not moved the sights. According to the memo, Bermudez did take a photo of one clerk inspecting the rifle which he sent via text message to Officer Lanier. He later told his Lieutenant during questioning that he “did not keep constant watch on the weapon due to speaking with customers.”

clerk with rifle, per the memo
    Guns Plus clerk with Officer Lanier’s rifle, per the memo
    After returning the rifle to Officer Lanier, on February 4 Bermudez relayed the messaging about moving the sight. When Lanier asked why, Bermudez said twelve was his favorite number.

Lanier found his red dot optics and rear sights were tampered with and were “way off.” He immediately took the rifle out of service.

According to the memo, Bermudez continued to prod Lanier about leaving his gun at the range and for “not checking [his] stuff when [he] gets it back from somebody.”

Officer Lanier worked two full shifts before finding out his sights were off.
    KXAN Article

This was the same guy from the incident in 2014:

And I hope an *** kicking followed...
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
      And I hope an *** kicking followed...
      That would be violence in the workplace
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Yeah. ACCEPTABLE though.

Comment

Leaving your rifle at the range = maybe a letter, maybe a vacation day.

Tampering with another officer's weapon! =pack your $h!t your services are no longer required.

I can't believe the stupidity involved in that. God forbid that officer needed to use the rifle and killed a bystander because his sites were that far off or only had time to get one round off and missed before the bad guy hit him. What a DB.
          In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

Comment

I would have gladly taken the beach time if someone messed with my rifle. What an ***hat.

Comment

I had my duty six shooter unloaded one time by an ******* officer who popped my locker and thought it would be funny... There was a subsequent fight after the confrontation in the locker room... I did NOT get a day off.

Comment

Originally posted by Country_Jim View Post
                I would have gladly taken the beach time if someone messed with my rifle. What an ***hat.
                Oh I think everyone would be ticked off beyond repair.

but really, an arse kicking would get you fired under violence in the workplace...............seriously

Yea the guy doing the tampering should be gone

I had my duty six shooter unloaded one time by an ******* officer who popped my locker and thought it would be funny... There was a subsequent fight after the confrontation in the locker room... I did NOT get a day off.
                That was then this is now
                Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

The agency liability is huge. I'd start the lawsuit...

Comment

Who would even think changing someones sights or removing a firing pin would be a good idea? Im cool with giving someone a hard time when leaving their equipment around but something that extreme is unacceptable. If that officer had to use his rifle in a critical incident many things would have gone south.
                    "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

Yep. That's why there'd be a beating...

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiler56
                        I am sure there are some members on her who think the officers actions were acceptable....
                        Really??? I think we can all agree the officer tampering with someone's rifle is a ***hat.

Stay safe.

Comment

Butt stroke him to ensure the butt stock at least works.

Comment

Spoiler, just STFU. What a doosh.
                            Last edited by CCCSD; 07-17-2015, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Spoiler, just STtFU. What a doosh.
                              Ditto******
                              Train for tomorrow, for you never know what it will bring to the fight.
                              In the school of Policing, there is no graduation day.

Arguing on the internet, is like wrestling with a pig in mud. After a while you realize that while you are getting dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.
                              Do Not Disturb sign should read, Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution.
                              Even if the voices aren't real, They have some really good ideas.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5669 users online. 400 members and 5269 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X