Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I absolutely HATE #$&^%*@ gravel trucks!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I absolutely HATE #$&^%*@ gravel trucks!

Not 10 minutes from the safety of my driveway, I met a loaded, speeding gravel truck.....on MY side of the 2-lane highway! When he corrected his route of travel, he 'showered' my POV with pea gravel, cracking my windshield. In less than 2 minutes, the crack spread halfway across my windshield.

This is the 3rd windshield I've lost to this SAME trucking company. The drivers are too damned lazy to use the rollover screens the trucks have to PREVENT this type of incident from occuring.

I immediately went to the gravel company owning the trucks and complained, showing them my cracked windshield. 'Did you get the truck's number?' 'Can you prove it was one of our trucks?' ARRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!! Did I mention I was in uniform?

As far as I'm concerned, it is now open season on gravel trucks in my jurisdiction.
    "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."
    -Commanding General, 1st Marine Division

I know that a lot of gravel trucks seem to have a lot of flying debris coming out of them as they travel down the highway/interstate at speeds that approach the speed of sound at times. I think a nice little call to the local DOT office about their eradict behavior while driving is a nice way to get them more noticed in the DOT's eyes. Haveing a complaint come in from a certified LEO can make a lot of differance in the speed that the complaint is looked into. But then again that is just my own personal opinion.

Klar
    Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

Another one of my pet peeves was writing tickets on trucks with uncovered loads. You can see why. It happened to me but I was lucky enough to get the guy.
      Stay safe and watch your back. Survived Katrina. Now a Official member of the Chocolate City Police.

Comment

Okay Shooter.... we got your back.... it's open season on gravel trucks

Comment

Go for it, shooter. Give 'em a ticket for me too. My windshield cost $150 to replace from flying gravel from out of the back of a dumptruck. Double the fines, triple 'em even...

Comment

Same here...Not only did it our windshield, it scared the bajoobies out of us. I had just told my husband he better slow down as the gravel was going al over the road. He was slowing to keep a distance...to late

Comment

Yeah get them and get them good sandie had her hand out the window coming home today and a rock hit her hand. She was none too happy.

Klar
              Are you a Veteran? If so join AMVETS the only organization that accepts all vets no matter when or where they served. Contact me for more info.

Comment

They are especially wonderful to get behind if you are on a motor. That's the time to just pull off the road and let them get away from you. If you try to go around them, you're gonna get a face full of crap.

More states should mandate the covering of loads, and just write the hell out of them if they don't comply.

I worked for a short time after retirement for an aggregate company out of Dixie. I ran a dump with a pup on it. It's a real PITA to have to cover the loads. It's also a matter of public safety.
                6P1 (retired)

Comment

No tarp, mud flaps, and bald tires. Almost every gravel truck can be written for. When I was a traffic cop about once a year I went on a gravel truck crusade. I went so far as to have the back of my ticket book marked with how far down the mud flaps had to come down.
                  RADAR is the 8th wonder of the world.

Comment

Do you have a failure to secure load statute?

Sec. 14-271. Securing of loads. (a) No vehicle shall be driven or moved on any highway unless such vehicle is so constructed or loaded as to prevent any of its load from dropping, sifting, leaking or otherwise escaping therefrom in such manner or quantity as to constitute a hazard or nuisance to other users of the highway, except that sand may be dropped for the purpose of securing traction, or water or other substance may be sprinkled on a roadway in cleaning or maintaining such roadway.
                    (b) No person shall operate on any highway any vehicle with any load unless such load and any covering thereon is securely fastened so as to prevent such covering or load from becoming loose, detached or in any manner a hazard to other users of the highway.
                    (c) No person shall operate on any highway any vehicle having a gross weight of five thousand pounds or more which is designed and used exclusively for the collection and transportation of refuse and which has a separable container with an open top unless the contents of such container are secured by the use of a screen or other material having perforations of a size not greater than two square inches when such container is attached to such vehicle.
                    (d) The provisions of this section shall not apply to motor vehicles registered as farm motor vehicles or vehicles used for farming purposes.
                    (e) Violation of any provision of this section shall be an infraction for each offense.
                    " Life's disappointments are harder to take when you don't know any swear words." - Calvin

Comment

I'm getting out my TN 'Traffic Codes' book and going through it INTENSELY.
                      "When you guys get home and face an anti-war protester, look him in the eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she's dating a *****."

Comment

Originally posted by shooter1201:
                        I immediately went to the gravel company owning the trucks and complained, showing them my cracked windshield. 'Did you get the truck's number?' 'Can you prove it was one of our trucks?' ARRRRRGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!! Did I mention I was in uniform?

Do people/companies actively attempt to draw the wrong kind of attention from police in TN?

That

Comment

It's the water....gotta be.

Comment

Originally posted by shooter1201:
                            It's the water....gotta be.
                            heh

Hang in there man!

Comment

Here's a question.

What is the proper thing to do if this happens to you, non LEO that is?
                              It's easier to get out of jail than it is a morgue. Live long and defend yourself!

Jhn 3:16
                              NRA Lifer
                              GOA
                              GSSF
                              KABA
                              SAF

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5956 users online. 348 members and 5608 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X