300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas License Plates

Every license plate I've ever seen on a car or truck has always had a combination of a total of seven numbers/characters. Recently, I've seen several Texas palates with eight on them.

Is this something new Texas is doing? Did they max out the numbers and characters and have to extend it to eight?

For decades, they had six. About 4 years ago, they went to 7, but they removed the raised characters, and went to flat. They had the black print on medium blue plated which NO ONE could read, then switched to a lighter blue. Now it's on a plain white plate. As for the 8 characters, the only thing I can think of is maybe it's a vanity plate.
    I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

I noticed they went to flat and now have window decals. As far as vanity plates, I don't think they are. It's still a combination of numbers and letters. Wish I still had the authority/capability (retired in 2007) to check registrations.

Old habits die hard. After all these years, I still drive down the road and look at license plates.

Comment

I think we in Virginia have the greatest number of license plate designs -- more than 200, I believe. Most commemorative tags use six digits, especially ones that have a seal, college name or other design that takes up a space. The rest of our tags have seven alphanumeric characters with a small space in the center.

As you mention Texas, I have seen some new ones that appear "flat" (no raised letters/numbers). Plenty of military people from Texas who stationed here in NoVa. I liked their old style tags a lot better.

I have seen North Carolina & New York plates with eight digits, but I think they were personalized ones.

My favorite oddball tag is the new white on black Delaware plate with the "antique" look and the weird shape to it.
        Last edited by VA Dutch; 06-27-2015, 11:05 AM.

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Originally posted by VA Dutch View Post

As you mention Texas, I have seen some new ones that appear "flat" (no raised letters/numbers). .
          The "new" technology in making license plates has moved from STAMPING and PAINTING the numbers to basically using a laser printer to print the numbers on a reflective Scotchlite and laminating the aluminum license plate with the product.

MOST licence plates are produced inside of a prison-----and most prison work industries use the same material vendors.

Those old stamping presses were/are heavy----very difficult to repair-----and out dated for "teaching" the convicts a trade. The computer/printer process also cuts labor costs .

Right now I think the actual cost of producing 2 license plates is around $2
          My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

They're still harder to read. Lol
            I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
              Right now I think the actual cost of producing 2 license plates is around $2
              Which is rather disgusting considering what we pay for them at the DMV.
              This Space For Rent

Comment

But we're paying for more than license plates. We're paying for the database and support, DMV personnel, the California Highway Patrol (CHP is funded by vehicle registration fees, not the state general fund and not traffic fines), CalTrans to sit around and take months to do halfassed repairs on decaying roads...
                Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Decaying roads caused by motorcycles splitting lanes...

Comment

Originally posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
                    Which is rather disgusting considering what we pay for them at the DMV.
                    Originally posted by ateamer View Post
                    But we're paying for more than license plates. We're paying for the database and support, DMV personnel, the California Highway Patrol (CHP is funded by vehicle registration fees, not the state general fund and not traffic fines), CalTrans to sit around and take months to do halfassed repairs on decaying roads...
                    Yep

You are paying "road use tax" In my state the price of the license fee is determined by the Gross vehicle weight and year of the vehicle. The cost slides down and at about 12 yrs bottoms out at $50 a year
                    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

ateamer....you're 100% correct.

Part of my whine comes from the state of many of our roads, but our weather isn't as conducive to smooth rides like yours is.

The rest of my whine comes from WDOT putting $30,000 ceramic salmon on a freeway bridge overpass. Guano like that needs to stop.
                      This Space For Rent

Comment

I have never seen a tx lp with 8 letters or numbers. I believe 7 is the max.

Comment

Me too neither. Seven is the most I ever remember seeing. Of course, I just patrol a very "small" piece of Texas.
                          Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
                          Among Texas' finest
                          Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
                          Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
                          Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

Same here. It has been a couple years since I worked a road unit but I think that an 8 character plate would still catch my eye.
                            In God We Trust
                            Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

I would think our agency would get updated on the added character, but nothing so far. Still, never have seen anything more than 7, and I would instantly notice if I ever saw one.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5248 users online. 320 members and 4928 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X