300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Yellow Headlamps"

I drive a lot with my job and often travel into other states if I am on vacation, visiting relatives, etc., etc. In recent months, I have noticed more than a few vehicles sporting YELLOW headlights - with a yellow/amber hue like you see with aftermarket fog lamps.

The 'blue' shade of the HID/LED headlights certainly draws your attention with their d***ling brilliance, but now we have the yellow ones cropping up from time to time. I have seen them on late model cars and on old F-Series pickup trucks from the 1990s. Since I obviously see them at night and they are in oncoming traffic, I am not able to see the state in which they are registered; but I wonder if they are legal in every state.

The only place I have seen a lot of cars with yellow headlights was French people who were driving through Germany. I believe that many cars in France were equipped with them from the factory.

Just an observation. Anyone else notice this on our highways lately?

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Well, here is just one comment from Popular Mechanics regarding this issue:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...a1416/4212957/

The comments above reflect my personal opinion as a private citizen, ordinary motorist and all-around good guy.

The aforementioned advice should not be construed to represent any type of professional opinion, legal counsel or other type of instruction with regard to traffic laws, judicial proceedings or official agency policy.

------------------------------------------------

"Ignorance on fire is hotter than knowledge on ice."

Comment

Laws vary from state-to-state, but white/amber is the legal norm in the US. It's possible for poorly maintained or aged vehicles to get yellow lights from wear and tear, hence the boom in "headlight restoration" and low-end bulbs nearing their end often have a yellow hue. The newer bulbs have colors that vary based on the brightness settings, so that might be some of what you're seeing. I haven't really given it much thought. I do know that we're moving towards pure-white LEDs in all vehicles, so that should give a more uniform color in all instances.

Comment

I wish they could crack down on the aftermarket kit guys that go HID on the cheap and the reflectors aren't designed for the bulb. Makes it blinding to look at. Also a lot of motorcycles like to run with their high beams on, really stupid to blind oncoming traffic!

Comment

I'll write that all night. It annoys me to no end. NYS VTL 375 (2)(b) also known as "d***ling headlights".
          I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

I was reading an article on a motorcycle forum about yellow headlights, and a guy from Germany said they were to identify French riders....and to stay away from them!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6749 users online. 163 members and 6586 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X